1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bennett: Auto Bailout Probably Won't Happen

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Dec 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On the eve of auto executives' return to Capitol Hill to ask for a federal bailout, the second-most senior Republican on the Banking Committee said he doubted the industry would get any help.

More Here

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I hear the whip counted heads and there isn't support for the auto bailout. They are short. The ball is in the Big 3's court and they have two more days of testimony to convince more backers. They lost me when plan 1 was cut 31K jobs.

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They'll get the money.

Losing the UAW would cost democrats millions of dollars every election cycle.

The fis is in. This is all for show. Political theater.

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

The republican's bailed out the banks with no conditions at all.

The Dems is asking for a business plan to show the money isn't going to waste.

The way I see it, the Dems are being more responsible than the Republican's were. No one knows exactly what Hank did with the initial $350 Bil.

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really who said such. It is more likely they are trying to protect the union contracts.

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All for show.

Democrats will give them the money even if they install Mickey Mouse as CEO.

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am opposed to any government bailouts. However I agree with George Washington when he stated that "I can only add, that desperate diseases require desperate remedies...". So while a government bailout goes against my view of the role of government I am not sure we have a choice. Allowing these three companies to go out of business would be an absolute disaster. Therefore I say give them the loan with conditions and requirements to pay the money back asap.

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

No bailout does not equal out of business.

9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

The Republican's gave the banks money no questions asked.

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your assertion won't hold water.

212 democrats voted for the bailout.

11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

At whose request? Isn't Hank the giver of the bucks and chief custodian of who actually gets what?

12. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Democrats don't vote for it, it doesn't happen.

You are being deliberately disingenious to try to blame it on the Republican party.

Makes you look completely silly.

My final word on that particular aspect.

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

By the way, the UN called. They passed a measure against torturing logic. You'll have to stop.

(now who has the majority in congress?)

14. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When the "messiah" takes office, the Big 3 rescue will get into high gear. The eventual cost to taxpayers will eventually exceed $500 billion. For that price, the government will tell them what kinds of cars to produce and will fine us or tax us if we don't buy them.

All to save a union whose greed , along with government intervention, has killed the goose that laid the golden egg.

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, let's just forget the greedy Wall Street CEO's and the poor decision makers at the auto companies and just lay all of the blame on the blue collar working men and women, eh, carpro?

16. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I think just the opposite, you are deliberately trying to remove the Republican party from any responsibility which makes you look completely silly. The vote didn't pass the house without the GOP, a GOP president signed the bill into law and a GOP treasury secretary is handing out the checks. I believe their fingerprints are all over this money also.

17. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

See my response to Capro, majority doesn't make you exclusive. Now I'm glad the Democrats made the republican's join them in the vote. I see they knew you guys would attempt to put this down in history on their backs... I admit, I was naive at the time but I see clearly now. Y'all quickly and conveniently forget how a second bill had to be drafted just to get the GOP to sign...

18. rbell

rbell Active Member

Here's my problem: A fiscal conservative could not have come up with the bailouts.

The morons (D's AND R's) who came up with this are not conservative.

But for you to simply say "the Republicans did this" is dishonest, and you know it.

19. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I agree and apologize if I blamed this exclusively on the Republican's. You are correct that it took both sides to get this bill to pass. This is also why most Democrats didn't want Martin and don't want Fraken to win so it will take some GOP participation to pass Obama's massive increases. Who will be silenced for the next two years are the Ultra Conservatives since they are not needed in party name or votes.

However, the Ultra Conservatives with the likes of Eric Cantor are the ones who finally voted in the bill. You can't get any further right on the hill than the ultra conservatives. Does this mean there are no "fiscal conservatives" which means you have absolutely no representation?

20. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you wish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.