Best Freeware

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Pastork, Mar 15, 2003.

1. grandpa New Member

Here are a couple musid editing programs that I've found very useful - and powerful (at least for my purposes).

CDex

Audacity

Hope these help.

grandpa

2. Gayla New Member

www.finalemusic.com

Finale Notepad 2004 is a free Music Notation download, then for $24.95 you can download Notepad plus for the MIDI files.
    Don't know for sure if or how much you will be able to edit.

3. Jim508 New Member

4. Jim508 New Member

An awesome tool for when Windows won't boot and you just want to kick the computer really hard. :confused: Don't, use this instead.

System Rescue CD
    http://www.sysresccd.org/

It's also useful for things like copying hard drives, restoring from backup, etc. Things you can do with Norton SystemWorks, but much cheaper.

Don't wait to download it and burn the cd. It's much harder to get saved after you're dead :eek: , and the same is true for your computer.

5. Eagle Member

This thread has really been enlightening to me -- thanks everyone! I also wanted to throw my "2 cents" in about e-sword. I stumbled on it almost 2 years ago -- well before I stumbled on to this great forum (last month)-- while searching the web for information about any Bible programs -- and with a willingness to pay a couple of hundred bucks for one. Then I found e-sword...for free? Are you kidding me? It is a remarkably user friendly program with super packed features that is continually being upgraded (for free), and was the easiest, fastest, cleanest download from the internet that I have ever experienced. Download after download is clean and smooth. I also have a CD of an older version that I used to reinstall after a "crash" and then updated from the web -- again all smooth and fast. There are voluminous Bible versions, great dictionaries, commentaries and other resources ready for instant interface -- slight learning curve. An altogether fantastic free program. I certainly think that it is good to be open-minded about 'what's out there' but there really is no need to look any further than e-sword for a computer Bible program -- free or otherwise!

6. Artimaeus Active Member

Found a great magnifier for those of us who have a difficult time seeing some portions of some screens. Small program, easy install, and easy setup. Best of all it is free. It's called Dragnifier and is found HERE

7. Shammai New Member

This list is wonderful. Thought I'd throw out a few:

jWorship is a worship song presentation program, to be used with video projectors in churches. It features remote setup of services and remote control during services. It is written in Java.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/jworship/

or try:

Beamer is freeware Written to be used in the church, to sing the songs together. Easy to use. Single monitor output needed. Fast, just type your song number and there it is. Fully configurable font color, etc. New song books can be added. Search capability for all songbooks. Song editor included to add your own songs. Backgrounds included.
    http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/j.baartse/beamer/prog.html

Cassette SOK Label Maker is a Cassette Label System for Church Tape Ministries. Freeware. Uses MS Access 97 to maintain and print Avery labels # 5198 on audio cassettes.
    http://www.winsite.com/bin/Info?500000013334

Conversion Buddy is a freeware unit converter. It's programmable, so even though it doesn't have cubits, you can program it to calculate lengths and such.
    http://metrologyforum.tm.agilent.com/download4.shtml

Prayer Chain Flowchart Freeware is a spreadsheet usable in Microsoft Excel or the free OpenOffice.org Calc that lets you design a prayer chain easily. It's based on the prayer chain we use.
    http://www.colonialview.com/prayerchain.htm

8. Pastork New Member

CDBurnerXP Pro CDBurnerXP Pro is a freeware CD/DVD-Writer program. The program can write CD-R, CD-RW DVD+R/RW DVD-R/RW discs. All features you can read on the features page.

The main features are:
    Write CD-R, CD-RW DVD+R/RW DVD-R/RW discs (as Data, Video and Audio)
    Burn on the fly / Burn-proof
    Supports most IDE, USB, Firewire and SCSI drives
    Rip Audio-CDs to harddrive, obtain track-information (ID3-tags) from Internet
    Burn and create ISO-files
    Convert wav to mp3 and vice versa
    Audio Editor, bin/nrg->ISO converter, simple cover printing and much more!

http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

9. Pastork New Member

10. rbnd New Member

11. Pastork New Member

Frankly, I have always liked Avant Browser better than any other browser. I do have Firefox installed on my computer as a backup, but I don't make much use of it.

12. Pete New Member

13. Jodo Kast New Member

CDEX everything a music junkie needs... well that and winamp

14. NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Great Browser! I used it for ages - my problem is that it is built on IE and I have just too many concerns about security flaws in IE so made the painless switch.

I find Firefox a little more stable as well.

15. grandpa New Member

I really like CDEX, too. And I'll offer Audacity.

grandpa

16. GA Sweety Pie New Member

17. GA Sweety Pie New Member

18. Dale New Member

I am not sure if anyone has answered this yet since I have not read the entire thread (way too long) but iTunes will convert wma to mp3 as long as you have WiMP 9 or later installed
    Also, I will add iTunes as my vote for best freeware ever...

Wait, lets make that my favorite progaram ever! :)

Hey, are you trying to save Real player streams? for that try db Power amp music converter. you can record from any source (including the wave out mix which is whatever your PC is playing)

It will record right to mp3

19. td New Member

For browsing: Avant or Opera
    Spyware cleaner: Adaware

Another free program I love and use to track my stocks is Medved QuoteTracker. It has some very professional tools to track your stock investments like charting, graphs, news releases and real time quotes.

20. Shammai New Member

Knoppix:
    http://www.knoppix.net/

Knoppix is a version of linux that boots from a CD. You download an image and burn it to CD. You _don't_ have to install it to your hard disk.

It makes a great little rescue disk for when a PC won't boot or a great test drive to see if you'll like linux without messing up your Windows PC!