1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Between two Robbers...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Van, Jan 7, 2021.

1. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hummmmm What does the next verses say? Does it say the disciples asked Jesus “Who then can be saved?”

Does Jesus respond by saying, “With men it is impossible, but with God, all things are possible.”?

Context is important.

Peace to you

2. Tsalagi

Tsalagi Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I fully agree, context is very important. What did the young man ask in Mark 10:17? "What must I do to inherit eternal life?” Jesus answers in Mark 10:21 - "Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow Me.” If inheriting eternal life and having treasure in heaven are synonyms for eternal salvation, then Jesus is here telling us that eternal salvation is obtainable by selling what one has, giving it to the poor, and following Him in His earthly travels (i.e., works). Do you really believe this is what the Bible teaches?

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did Tsalagi disavow any of the TULIP concepts. We might infer he supports his undefined terms. but that is buying a pig in a poke.

Did I say "saving faith is credited by God?" No, of course not. On and on folks, one falsehood after another.
    Did I point quote Romans 4:23-25 to "relate" God crediting our faith with our salvation? You bet. On and on folks....

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You agree with what Jesus stated there, correct?

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, to relate this post to the thread requires making inferences. Are we to strive to enter by the narrow way? Yes. Is it difficult? Yes, few find it. Is it easy for those with worldly treasure to enter? Nope.

No one can save themselves by actions they take, but God can. That is the context and should not be ignored. :)

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you claim God can limit His knowledge while incarnate, but not at other times?

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not claim, as that is what the Bible stated!

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where, what verse says God cannot limit His knowledge because He is not all-powerful?

9. Tsalagi

Tsalagi Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're kidding, right?

"... referring to those that heard the gospel and believed in Jesus Christ, and whose faith God crediting as righteousness, and therefore set apart in Christ." -- #1 in Saints thread

"... we enter that corporate sphere when God individually credits our faith as righteousness and places us spiritually in Christ" -- #1 in Individual Election and Corporate Election thread

"... God’s eternal covenant was to provide eternal life for those of His choosing, based on crediting their faith as righteousness, keeping His covenant of love." -- #1 in Doctrinal View thread

" ... individual election occurs, not before creation, but during our lifetime based on God crediting our faith as righteousness." -- #1 in Chosen in Him thread

"... God’s eternal covenant was to provide eternal life for those of His choosing, based on crediting their faith as righteousness" -- #1 Layman's Confession of Faith thread

That's all you, my friend. The phrase in quotes was pulled directly from your post to which I replied.

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God is all knowing, as that fits the definition of being God!

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On and on folks, did I say the faith was saving faith before God credited it as righteousness. Nope.

One falsehood after another to hide the truth. What was our faith before being credited, saving faith or filthy rag worthless faith?

#31 Van, Jan 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  12. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    The disciples asked, “who then can be saved?”

The context is the rich young man who had strived his whole life to keep the law. Jesus said he only lacked one thing.

The disciples are stunned that this man, according to Jesus, would not enter the Kingdom.

The question and answer go directly to the point that salvation depends on what God does, not on what man does.

peace to you

13. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only Van would make a sheep gate a Salvation gate!... Its a gate for disciples, you follow it you are blessed of the Lord, if you don't it leads to destruction... Not eternal... So you actually think you can follow the strait gate, from birth to death?... The only one that followed it perfectly and never wavered was Jesus Christ... And Van if there are few be that find it what are you going to do with these verses?

Revelation 7:9 After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands;

7:10 And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb.

Btw... For all you old timers and you who are new, this has always been my belief as a Sovereign Grace Baptist believer, election is not a few as some teach, what kind of election is that?:eek:... If God choose everyone, where is the election?... Did Satan get a vote, you got a vote and you know its going to be a tie, so God cast the final vote?... Its GOD'S MERCY that saved your wretched sinful hide, putting YOU in Christ, you didn't do it yourself... And Van you say the God credits our faith to us?... Did your faith save you or did the faith of Christ save you?... CREDIT?... DEBT!... You were up to your eyeballs in SIN when Jesus Christ died for YOU on the cross... You did nothing!... Quit Robbing the Lord of his Glory!... And Van one more thing, if this is an eternal gate, that you talk about in your opening OP, what are you going to do about the one thief on the cross, that Jesus told would be in paradise with him that day, that never had a chance to enter the narrow gate?... Brother Glen:)

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The number of the saved by God will be much more then some of us Calvinists believe, and also much less then some non cals believe!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don’t presume to know how many will be saved, but consider this....

Most Christians believe children/infants that die go to heaven. Throughout history, and even today throughout much of the world, most children do not live to adulthood. Additionally, many believe life begins at conception. Most fertilized eggs (70%?) never implant in the womb.

So, if all that is accurate, the overwhelming majority of those in heaven will never have lived in this life to adulthood and had the opportunity to share the gospel and be a part of God’s plan to bring people to salvation.

peace to you

16. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With that I agree but knowing also that God is a God of justice and mercy, too many on here look more to his justice than his mercy... We all deserve his justice but because of his love for a multitude of his elect, he showed us mercy through his Eternal Son Jesus Christ, who stood where we never could stand and paid the price for our sins that we could never pay... God added us to his family, we didn't join... Brother Glen:)

17. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good point but I'm not worried about it because I firmly believe without a doubt, that Salvation is all of God and he WILL SAVE all he said he would, as scripture teaches, through his Eternal Son Jesus Christ!... Not even Satan can overthrow God's Sovereign Grace!... Brother Glen:)

John 6:37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

6:38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

6:39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

18. Tsalagi

Tsalagi Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're attempting to make a distinction without a difference, and your response fails to take any responsibility for the multiplied posts quoted above. Your claim about God crediting faith in connection with salvation is manifestly wrong, and you offer not a single valid passage of Scripture to support it.

Faith at the point of salvation is never "credited as righteousness" by God, period. Not before, not during, not after. There is no passage of Scripture that teaches your utterly bogus assertion. Any statement about "credit" from God for faith associated with salvation is erroneous and reflects a fundamental ignorance of what Scripture actually teaches. The only faith that God "credits" toward righteousness is living faith, walking by faith, overcoming by faith - faith expressed in the promises of God by believers AFTER salvation. This is the faith Abraham expressed, this is the faith the Bible says God credited as righteousness, and it has nothing whatsoever to do with the point of salvation, contrary to your oft-repeated bogosities about credit related to faith at salvation. The "falsehood" here is entirely yours, my friend.

#38 Tsalagi, Jan 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On and on folks, the false teachers present complete rubbish. Now I am the only one who believes the narrow path leads to life, and not to destruction, is the path of salvation. Good Golly Miss Molly.

And yes, I believe once God placed me into Christ, I will remain on the path of righteousness forever and ever. Once Saved Always Saved. Does that mean I do not believe in Progressive Sanctification, where each day I pick up my cross and strive to follow Christ. Of course not.

Pay no attention to these false teachers who make up false charges to defend false doctrine.

Did I say God credits the faith of believers to us as righteousness? Or did I say Romans 4:4-5, and Romans 4:23-25 says God does? Why not address the scripture rather than engage in yet another ploy to marginalize the messenger? Go figure.

Did I say our faith saves us? Nope, but that is what this false teacher claimed, via implication by asking a loaded question. Pay no attention to these despicable tactics, they are demonic.

And finally this poster claims the narrow gate is entered by works and not by faith, but the thief on the cross entered by faith without works. On and on folks, falsehood after falsehood...

20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are we to strive to enter by the narrow way? Yes. Is it difficult? Yes, few find it. Is it easy for those with worldly treasure to enter? Nope.

No one can save themselves by actions they take, but God can. That is the context and should not be ignored.