1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible Study

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Roy Kling, Dec 2, 2023.

1. Roy Kling

Roy Kling Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought I was already doing it, but nope. What I had been doing every morning for the past year+ was just a primer. I'm reading through it from Genesis to Revelation with a KJV Nelson study bible. Yes, it's very informative and helpful, yet there are some books that bear deeper study.

Isaiah ch.65 I realized the need to go deeper. One thing I discovered was the need for a much more detailed atlas than printed in even a study bible. I want to get ''The Sacred Bridge'' atlas eventually, but for now a Zondervan Archeological bible will do. It's not a JKV, but I'm following notes the and maps. Descriptions of places and the people who inhabited them will do for now.

I won't be rereading the entire Bible, but selected books. And I have a new study Bible with Henry Morris notes. I'm interested in his thoughts on creation. I have Strong's Concordance, a good Bible dictionary, and ''The Works Of Josephes''

What tools do you use?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Stray Cat

Stray Cat New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, and welcome to the club. I use a King James Bible, a Strong's concordance, a Smith's Bible Dictionary, and a
    few commentaries (i.e., John Gill, Spurgeon, Matthew Henry) for occasional use.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My kinda people... Been reading studying and quoting the KJV since I got here... Started reading it at the age of 13, never read any other... Strict KJV... Now 78... Do the math... I've collected what you brethren have collected and more... Have Vines, Pink, Edersheim and Halley's Bible Handbook just to mention a few... Need something add to your collection ask me... I might recommend something... Brother Glen:)

Also if you need something check online first before you buy... Unless you want it, in your bookcase!

#3 tyndale1946, Dec 2, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  4. taisto

taisto Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I read the scripture I ask, "Where is Jesus in this passage?" I observe, ask questions, interpret and apply.

(Isaiah 65:1-25)
    The Lord says, “I was ready to respond, but no one asked for help. I was ready to be found, but no one was looking for me. I said, ‘Here I am, here I am!’ to a nation that did not call on my name. All day long I opened my arms to a rebellious people. But they follow their own evil paths and their own crooked schemes. All day long they insult me to my face by worshiping idols in their sacred gardens. They burn incense on pagan altars. At night they go out among the graves, worshiping the dead. They eat the flesh of pigs and make stews with other forbidden foods. Yet they say to each other, ‘Don’t come too close or you will defile me! I am holier than you!’ These people are a stench in my nostrils, an acrid smell that never goes away. “Look, my decree is written out in front of me: I will not stand silent; I will repay them in full! Yes, I will repay them— both for their own sins and for those of their ancestors,” says the Lord. “For they also burned incense on the mountains and insulted me on the hills. I will pay them back in full! “But I will not destroy them all,” says the Lord. “For just as good grapes are found among a cluster of bad ones (and someone will say, ‘Don’t throw them all away— some of those grapes are good!’), so I will not destroy all Israel. For I still have true servants there. I will preserve a remnant of the people of Israel and of Judah to possess my land. Those I choose will inherit it, and my servants will live there. The plain of Sharon will again be filled with flocks for my people who have searched for me, and the valley of Achor will be a place to pasture herds. “But because the rest of you have forsaken the Lord and have forgotten his Temple, and because you have prepared feasts to honor the god of Fate and have offered mixed wine to the god of Destiny, now I will ‘destine’ you for the sword. All of you will bow down before the executioner. For when I called, you did not answer. When I spoke, you did not listen. You deliberately sinned—before my very eyes— and chose to do what you know I despise.” Therefore, this is what the Sovereign Lord says: “My servants will eat, but you will starve. My servants will drink, but you will be thirsty. My servants will rejoice, but you will be sad and ashamed. My servants will sing for joy, but you will cry in sorrow and despair. Your name will be a curse word among my people, for the Sovereign Lord will destroy you and will call his true servants by another name. All who invoke a blessing or take an oath will do so by the God of truth. For I will put aside my anger and forget the evil of earlier days. “Look! I am creating new heavens and a new earth, and no one will even think about the old ones anymore. Be glad; rejoice forever in my creation! And look! I will create Jerusalem as a place of happiness. Her people will be a source of joy. I will rejoice over Jerusalem and delight in my people. And the sound of weeping and crying will be heard in it no more. “No longer will babies die when only a few days old. No longer will adults die before they have lived a full life. No longer will people be considered old at one hundred! Only the cursed will die that young! In those days people will live in the houses they build and eat the fruit of their own vineyards. Unlike the past, invaders will not take their houses and confiscate their vineyards. For my people will live as long as trees, and my chosen ones will have time to enjoy their hard-won gains. They will not work in vain, and their children will not be doomed to misfortune. For they are people blessed by the Lord, and their children, too, will be blessed. I will answer them before they even call to me. While they are still talking about their needs, I will go ahead and answer their prayers! The wolf and the lamb will feed together. The lion will eat hay like a cow. But the snakes will eat dust. In those days no one will be hurt or destroyed on my holy mountain. I, the Lord, have spoken!”

• Like Like x 1
  5. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An excellent start. I wish more would read the historian, if only to understand fully the wrath that came down on ‘that generation’ for all the righteous blood shed on ‘the land’.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Roy Kling

Roy Kling Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Having it in my bookcase is about the only way I can read more than a few paragraphs. The digital world copy just doesn't hold my attention.

7. Roy Kling

Roy Kling Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Josephes can do a lot to fill in some blanks and background. Sort of paint a more full picture if nothing else. Can also add questions and have you dig deeper and find some amazing things.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’ve a small fortune tied up in books but most I’ve not read cover to cover, but I reference them when I seek more food for thought.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Stray Cat

Stray Cat New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, Arthur W. Pink excellent stuff among others, JC Philpot, JC Ryle, William Huntington, John Bunyan, many that
    could be mentioned from the Puritan era. A good book I have read called "America in Crimson Red" by James Beller
    I have E-sword as a good tool on my computer. It may be still a free download. Another website I found to be
    very helpful is GraceGems.com

• Like Like x 2
  11. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are many excellent “How To” books available for those interested in seriously studying the Scriptures.

A very good introduction to study the Bible is by Douglas Stewart and the late Gordon Fee called,
    How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth [Amazon Link]

The book begins by discussing the basic tools that assist a student to begin to understand the Bible.

You’ve probably heard the about the three most important aspects of Bible study, “Context, Context, Context. The authors of the book spend quite a few chapters illustrating the various contextual views within Scripture and how the context effects the message.

Certainly a basic understanding of biblical history is helpful and important.
    But I suggest that before delving deeply into Josephus, before studying the commentaries of a particular author, look over Stewart and Fee’s book.
    It will help you focus on what’s important, the integration of God’s Word into your life using a method of study that opens the Scriptures up as they should be read.

Rob

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "...'Strip away everything that you think you know about the Bible and approach it as a child that knows nothing, praying as David, "Let me behold wondrous things out of thy law". Begin on page one and read through as quickly as possible in order to get the idea of it".

Took me a little less than 3 months (I was steeped in my career at the time) but it provided a foundation which no commentary, theological text book, confession, religious dogma, etc. could ever provide...."
    The Difference Between Sola Scriptura And Biblicism (R. Scott Clark) | Page 6 | Baptist Christian Forums (baptistboard.com)

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It didn't take me 3 months to know that I could learn from wise, mature believers.

The Scriptures provide simplicity for the unlearned yet its complexity can confound the wise.

Don't be satisfied.... always keep learning!

Rob

• Like Like x 1
  14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) I use bookshelf and online dictionaries.
    2) I use two bookshelf Bible Dictionaries
    3) I use the online New English Translation (NET) with its exceptional notes.
    4) I use online Lexicons, including Strong's.
    5) I use an Exhaustive Concordance, This will give you all the places that same Hebrew or Greek word appears in scripture.

I compare my NASB with the NKJV, NET, and World English Bible (WEB).

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like "Grasping God's Word" by J. Scott Duvall and J. Daniel Hays.

I have used this book many times, and think that the writers offer an excellent approach to how we should study Scripture.

I always caution people about commentators - not that they are bad but that if you start there you will most likely hold the view or interpretation held in whatever commentary you start with.

First work through Scripture and make notes of your interpretation and problematic texts. When choosing a commentary pick a reputable one on whatever book you are reading.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Use scripture to interpret scripture... Scripture will never contradict scripture, scripture must harmonize, if rightly divided... If scripture contradicts scripture... Then the error is in the reader never the writer... Brother Glen:)

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. Grasping God's Word isn't a commentary. It's more about things that need to be considered.

For example, how would the passage be interpreted by the immediate audience, how are we different, similar, what principles are common, what is the passage teaching....things like that.

• Like Like x 1