1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible Translations

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Elk, Oct 10, 2003.

1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Things which are different are not the same" This is a KJVO statement concerning the comparison of the several English translations.
    This has never been a problem for the MV folk.

non-KJVO realize (like the KJV translators) that a comparison of the different choices of synonomous modernised english words tend to give the "sense" of the Scriptures.

Second point: OT passages in the KJV when quoted in the NT are often quoted differently than in the OT, yet these passages are still the Word of God in both the OT and the NT, thus so (for instance) between the KJV and the nKJV and the NASB.

HankD

2. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Yes, *every* Greek manuscript does, in a sense. You see, in English, there are *two* names ("Jesus" and "Joshua") equivalent to the single Greek name "Iesou". Determining which to use, Jesus or Joshua, depends on context. "Jesus" is technically correct, but because 99% of people don't know that Jesus and Joshua are the same name in Greek, most think the passage is primarily talking about one Biblical character when it is primarily talking about the other. This is confusion.

3. Askjo

Askjo New Member

What corrupted Bible version did I use for 10 years is the NASB.

The warning! How could the Holy Spirit lie? Or You made Him blasphemy.

That's your naturalistic method.

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Thats a lie..Have you no shame??</font>[/QUOTE]On what basis do you call the HOly Spirit a liar? HOw do you know that he is on your side? It seems like the shame is on you here. I would not stoop to call the Holy Spirit a liar and I can assure that the Holy Spirit does not lead apart from the word of God. As we have shown, the word of God is on our side on this matter. It is you who fight against the word of God.

I use the update.

You are confused. It is your side who says that things different are not the same. You stoop yet again to outright dishonesty. I believe both can be the word of God. There is no double standard on my part. The double standard is on your part ... you accept different editions of the KJV as the word of God, but defy anyone who accepts anything else. But for some reason, you have not even thought through the inconsistency of that position. As a result, you hold an unbiblical position that contradicts God's word.

5. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Here again, you make a completely contradictory statement. The NASB is not a corrupt version. If you use the NASB, then you did not use a corrupt version.

The Holy Spirit didn't lie. Therefore, your claim that the Holy Spirit told you certain versions were corrupt is a false claim. The Holy Spirit did not tell you that. The Holy Spirit works through the word of God. He confirms only what God's word teaches. This is elementary pneumatology. By defult, the Holy Spirit did not reveal anything about versions. He has, through the word, convicted the hearts of the teachable that all faithful translations are the word of God. Such was his work with the KJV translators and it should be with you and I. That is the only position consistent with Scripture.

I have no naturalistic method. My method is wholly supernaturalistic. You keep making claims of changed doctrines but have failed in every single instance to substantiate that claim. That can leave us with only one of two conclusions. You are either 1) not telling the truth or 2) completely deceived.

On the first option, you have certainly been shown the truth. Every single charge you have leveled has been conclusively answered. So you cannot claim to not know the truth. You keep posting things contrary to what you have been shown from Scripture to be true. Completely deceived is an option, but even at that, the truth should convinced you. Day after day of continued attacks on God's word is not a sign of someone who is learning God's word and loving it.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am genuinely offended when people call my English translation of God's Word "corrupt" or "perverted".

There ARE some truly corrupted and perverted translations, designed so to support the cults (New World Translation comes to mind).

But to throw around the words in casual banter causes them to lose value and meaning.

Slander ME all you want, but attack the precious English translations of God's Word and you will incur wrath.