1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Biblical Human Will Limitations

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Van, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In that post, you did not address the truth presented in Luke 13:24, but referenced another verse.
    Next, rather than address the topic, many seeking, you bring up another word in another clause.
    The issue is Jesus says many seek salvation and Calvinism says Jesus is mistaken.

#21 Van, Dec 15, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another change of subject, and another failure to address the fact many seek salvation proving Calvinism is bogus.

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you answer my question with a question?
    Ever wonder about all those seeking salvation by works of the Law?
    You do realize everyone knows the game you are playing.

4. Tsalagi

Tsalagi Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't seem to have understood my question. If Jesus is talking about eternal salvation in Luke 13:24, then "Strive to enter" means struggle to get saved, and "many will seek to enter and not be able" means there will be many who want to be eternally saved who will not be able to do so. That makes no sense, especially in this context and with this audience in Luke 13. Eternal salvation is not under discussion; rather, it is God's coming kingdom, fulfilling His OT covenant promises to Israel. They aren't the same thing.

5. Tsalagi

Tsalagi Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know what game you think is being played. I do know you can't seem to answer my simple question about Jesus' use of the present imperative in Luke 13:24. I'm pretty sure you can't explain it because your interpretation inevitably forces the conclusion of salvation by works. Your contention is that Jesus is saying we must continuously strive to enter into salvation. I disagree.

6. Tsalagi

Tsalagi Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus can't be talking about seeking salvation in Luke 13:24 because salvation does not require a constant struggle. I have clearly and repeatedly made this point, and you have clearly and repeatedly failed to address it.

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sir, you repeatedly charge me with "salvation by works" when I advocate salvation by grace alone through faith alone.
    The issue is did Jesus say many seek salvation? The answer is yes. You have not said yes or no, but post dodge after dodge.
    Since many seek salvation, then total spiritual inability is bogus doctrine. That is the truth

And you are not addressing that many seek salvation.

Instead you put words in my mouth. So sad...

8. Tsalagi

Tsalagi Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The issue is, did Jesus say many seek salvation in Luke 13:24, the verse you cite as a refutation of "bogus doctrine." The answer is NO, Jesus did NOT say many seek salvation in Luke 13:24. Whatever the merits of your position on the ability of unregenerate people to come to saving faith, this passage is not pertinent. If you truly advocate salvation by grace alone through faith alone you cannot understand Jesus to be talking about eternal salvation in Luke 13:24, because continual struggle is not required for salvation. You need to build your case on other scripture. It is that simple.

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 7:14
    “For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it.

Here we have a statement that people (few) find the way that leads to life. Pay no attention to those who deny scripture.

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your interpretation of the verse is your own, but contextually Jesus is talking about seeking salvation.
    As far as strive, the Greek word might be translated "endeavor" with the idea of earnestly seeking salvation. And if this endeavor is through faith in Christ alone, then "works" is nowhere to be found, except as a figment of your imagination.

11. Tsalagi

Tsalagi Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you believe in salvation by "continual endeavor"? Changing the translation hardly solves the problem with your view. Endeavor is not faith, and Jesus nowhere offers Himself as an object for salvation faith in this context.

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only falsifiers put disinformation words in the mouths of others. You claim that our endeavor seeking does not stop when found is just the use of absurdity to hide truth.

13. Tsalagi

Tsalagi Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If your claim about falsifiers is true, one had better not be guilty of putting the disinformation words "our endeavor seeking does not stop when found" in the mouths of others, no? ;)

Let's say you're right, and entrance into the narrow gate means salvation. Jesus then goes on to say many will seek to enter but not be able to, because In your view they are trying to get saved by works (you referenced "all those seeking salvation by works of the Law" above). So then in your view the next six verses (Luke 13:25-30) are also talking about those who are saved (inside the door) and the unsaved (those outside seeking to enter and pleading their works). Am I correct?

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course you are posting errant obfuscation.

When is the door shut on salvation? When we physically die!!

Does anyone continually struggle to fine something, once the something is found? Of course not, the premise is absurd.

And I did not suggest seeking salvation by works of the Law is the only errant method of seeking salvation. Anything other than putting faith in God and His Christ is errant.

The next verses indicate the opportunity to seek is limited and once ended, the result is gnashing and darkness.

15. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lessons in Calvinism.
    MB

16. Tsalagi

Tsalagi Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In your view Jesus is not talking to the saved in Luke 13:24, who would certainly no longer need to strive for what they have already found. In your view Jesus is talking to the unsaved, telling them to "keep on struggling" to enter into eternal life. That, my friend, is salvation by works. Your point about when the struggling would end doesn't change the inescapable conclusion that if struggling/striving/endeavoring is required to enter into salvation it is no longer by faith alone.

Such as struggling/striving/endeavoring; I fully agree. That's how we know Luke 13:24 is not about eternal salvation.

17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus said few find the narrow gate (those heading toward salvation) and the many who do not find the narrow gate (those heading for destruction).

I clearly never said "keep on struggling" those are your words, mine were strive and endeavor. Discerning truth to set our faith on is difficult, made more so by false teachers and false doctrine such as claimed total spiritual inability. How could they strive??

Salvation by grace alone through or by means of faith alone is not "salvation by works."

Next we get yet another falsehood, another fiction, another absurd claim. Jesus said we are to strive, endeavor, and seek to find the narrow gate that leads to life. To claim Jesus is teaching salvation by the works of the Law based on this is vile.

Pay no attention to those who deny scripture.

18. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

19. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Peace to you

20. Tsalagi

Tsalagi Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Keep on striving/struggling/endeavoring to enter" are JESUS' words. Look up ἀγωνίζομαι in the lexicon; "struggle" is a primary meaning. By the way, it is translated "fight" in 1 Timothy 6:12 where it occurs in the same present middle imperative form as Luke 13:24.

The only person here associating Jesus' words "Strive to enter" with salvation is you, my friend. I know salvation is not what He is talking about, because His subject is the kingdom, not eternal salvation, and we are not commanded to "strive" to be saved.

Scripture should dictate our theological understanding, not the other way around.

#40 Tsalagi, Dec 16, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2020