1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Biblical vs Reformed Salvation

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by SavedByGrace, Jan 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    By the time I get to responding to this the thread will close as I live in England and nearing bed time

2. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is that what I said?

3. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Per John 7:39 the Holy Spirit is relative to glorification of Jesus which required obedient death of Jesus and resurrection by the Father.. John 17:3 1 Peter 1:21 Rom 8:11

4. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    You said every individual, no

5. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hate the closing of threads. Sleep tight.

6. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    Start a new thread

7. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    I could do a new one

• Like Like x 1
  8. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, then you said I said it doesn't mean the human race. So did you mistype or are you purposefully misleading about what I did or did not write?

9. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will look tomorrow for I will be going to church shortly.

10. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 1
  11. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    lets get this very clear, would you agree with the majority of Greek works that define "kosmos" in John 3:16, as “the inhabitants of the earth, the human race” (J H Thayer, Lexicon, p.357); and others. And "whosoever" as John Calvin says, "everyone without exception"?

12. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can any of you reading not see the sameness of Acts 2:32,33 Titus 3:5,6 and even Rev 1:5 and 6 for HS if you take under consideration of anointing as kings and priests.

13. SavedByGrace

Faith:
    Baptist
    can you move this and your long one to the new thread, please, and I will look at them tomorrow. Good night to all and God bless!

14. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    These are the arguments of the one person who is arguing a view that no one else believes.
    Is there really any use talking to such a person who speaks like this?
    Such responses are enough to know the OP has lost the argument.

15. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am saying that is an oversimplification of the issue and doesn't take into account actual nuance of usage.

16. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know what he claims and have no reason to believe that he has lied to me about his journey in the faith.

I would extend the same assumption to any claim you made about your journey in the faith.

17. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is the larger context?

Who is the writer speaking to and what is the broader topic that he is talking about? (YOU TELL ME.)

[This is an example of what I meant when I said that TRUTH was not found by exchanging single verses torn from their surrounding context.]

• Like Like x 1
  18. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could you link to where R.C. Sproul says that? I have a strong suspicion that it is misunderstanding something being taken out of context because RC Sproul was not against repentance.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly. If anything, RC harped on people not repenting enough!

20. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    NETBible: Ephesians 1:3-14

Ephesians 1:3-14 is One Sentence in Greek: Where to Start

In Christ: In One Sentence;
    It’s well known that Ephesians 1:3-14 is one long sentence in Greek. The following is from the ESV but I’ve made some of the pronouns more explicit to highlight the way in which Paul sees the Christian life—from before the foundation of the world to eternity—as bound up with the idea of union with Christ.

Grace is a Gift | Ephesians 1:3-14

Punctuating the Bible - The Aquila Report

Ephesians 1 | Bible.org
    Ephesians 1:3-4 Commentary | Precept Austin
    Ray Stedman writes that "There is an unusual structure in this passage to which I'd like to call your attention. From Verse 3 through Verse 14 in the Greek text (not in the English) you have one complete, unbroken sentence filled with many adjectival phrases brought in to amplify and enrich it. If you want to get the effect of it, take a deep breath and try to read it through with one breath. You will see how much Paul has crammed into this great sentence. It's almost as though he is taking a walk through a treasure chamber, like those of the Pharaohs of Egypt, describing what he sees. He starts out with the most immediate and evident fact and tells us what that is. Then something else comes into view and he puts that in. And glory flashes upon glory here until he has this tremendously complicated sentence which includes vast and almost indescribable riches...You see, these are much more than mere doctrinal ambiguities, mere theological ideas. They are facts, foundational truths which undergird us in every moment of our life. And, unless you understand those facts, you can't utilize them, you can't benefit from them. In that way they are like natural laws. The laws of nature operate regardless of how we feel -- they are impersonal in that respect. I've been doing a bit of electrical work in an addition to my home, and I've discovered that electricity follows a pattern of its own and takes no notice of how I feel at the moment. That can be a shocking experience! It is not in the slightest degree impressed with my position as a pastor of Peninsula Bible Church. It doesn't hesitate to retaliate for any violation of its laws that I commit. It is up to me to discover how it works, and then to respect it, if I want to utilize it. The same thing is true of these great facts. They will do you not a particle of good if you don't discover what they are and believe them enough to operate on the basis of them. That is why we are having this study together. We couldn't possibly cover in one message all that is wrapped up in these great truths, and I don't want to attempt it. We want to take our time going through this passage so that we might grasp these fundamental facts. (Ephesians 1::3-14: Foundations)

Notice that in a single verse Paul uses the entire word family -- the adjective (eulogetos), the verb (eulogeo) and the noun (eulogia) and the sentence still makes supernatural sense not nonsense as the natural man foolishly surmises!

Blessed (2128) (eulogetos from eu = good + logos = word - English "eulogy" = a speech or writing that praises someone highly) is the adjective describing the One Who is worthy of praise and in the NT is rightly used only of God and Christ Jesus. Rarely eulogetos is actually used as a Name for God -- "the Blessed One" (Mark 14:61).

Eulogetos - 8x in 8v - Mk 14:61; Luke 1:68; Ro 1:25; 9:5; 2 Cor 1:3; 11:31; Eph 1:3; 1 Pet 1:3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.