1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Biblical vs Secular Definitions of English Words

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JonC, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I snipped out the non "rubber meets the road" obfuscation

2. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Prove your claim or be found a liar.

3. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    “When I use a word,’ Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, ‘it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.’

• Like Like x 1
  4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

5. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Prove your claim slandering me. You can prove anything else but that.

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christ is "completely God, completely human" The Athanasian Creed.

7. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    But you say he has a human person (Nestorianism) which he does not. Soul and Spirit are not the same. And Athanasius does not include this.

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quote me saying that or be called a liar.

(I said one person, two natures - inseparable yet without mixture, fully man, fully God).

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More off topic obfuscation.

Draw means = : to bring by inducement or allure : ATTRACT

Calvinists deny the obvious, as they peddle redefinitions by the bushel.

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are straying from the topic.

Start one on the Chalcedonan creed if you want.

I clearly stated "on person, two natures (inseparable yet without mixture) fully God, fully man".

You somehow read "two persons". That calls into mind your literacy, honesty, or motive.

But it also proves my claim correct. You do reject the orthodox view of the Trinity by claiming that the Athanasian creed (an Ecumenical creed) is claiming Christ consists of two persons.

Do start a thread on whatever creed you want. The difference is that while you accept one creed others affirm the orthodox position (which is more than one creed).

There are Calvinists on this board (Calvinism adheres to the Athanasian creed as it is the base for the Belgic Confession in regards to the Trinity and instrumental at the Synod of Dort). They are normally quick to denounce Apollinarianism (your view).

But engage on another thread. Do not hijack this one.

11. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our discussion began with that topic. Based on my reply to the OP showing a weakness that you tried to justify. That's it. But you have problems because you don't understand anthropology according to older Baptist Theology or Paul.

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
  13. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it was completely on topic.
    Merriam-Webster offers 15 definitions for the word “draw”, but YOU emphatically claim by fiat that there is really only one ... your definition.

You and Humpty Dumpty are cut from the same cloth.

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I affirmed the meaning as used in scripture at John 6:44 and John 12:32, I did not claim the word has no other meanings. So, once again, rather than address reality, you misrepresent my view for the purpose of obfuscation.

Folks, behold the defense of Calvinism.

15. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’d like to offer this word for discussion:
    “Death”.

In secular parlance, it means a complete cessation of function.

In Christiansen, it means a complete cessation of function when used of an animal, but when used of a human, it means “separation”.

Is this different definition a good thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  16. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing to do with Sotierology (Calvinist or any other), no matter how hard you try to claim that it is.

You have simply offered a living illustration of the OP:
    When a word has more than one possible secular meaning that could apply to its use, YOU selected as the only possible BIBLICAL meaning the one that fit your predetermined theology.

Does that definition of “draw” also apply when Peter draws his sword to cut off an ear? You HAVE made it the only correct meaning of draw, after all.

17. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could you point to an example that you have in mind?
    I am pretty sure when it says that Lazarus had died ... it means just what we think it means. Same with Ananias and Sophira when they died. Jesus when he died and Stephen when he died.

Here are the uses of the word just in the book of Acts:
    [Act 2:23-24 NASB] 23 this [Man,] delivered over by the predetermined plan and foreknowledge of God, you nailed to a cross by the hands of godless men and put [Him] to death. 24 "But God raised Him up again, putting an end to the agony of death, since it was impossible for Him to be held in its power.
    [Act 3:15 NASB] 15 but put to death the Prince of life, [the one] whom God raised from the dead, [a fact] to which we are witnesses.
    [Act 5:30 NASB] 30 "The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom you had put to death by hanging Him on a cross.
    [Act 8:1 NASB] 1 Saul was in hearty agreement with putting him to death. And on that day a great persecution began against the church in Jerusalem, and they were all scattered throughout the regions of Judea and Samaria, except the apostles.
    [Act 9:24, 29 NASB] 24 but their plot became known to Saul. They were also watching the gates day and night so that they might put him to death; ... 29 And he was talking and arguing with the Hellenistic [Jews;] but they were attempting to put him to death.
    [Act 10:39 NASB] 39 "We are witnesses of all the things He did both in the land of the Jews and in Jerusalem. They also put Him to death by hanging Him on a cross.
    [Act 12:2 NASB] 2 And he had James the brother of John put to death with a sword.
    [Act 13:28 NASB] 28 "And though they found no ground for [putting Him to] death, they asked Pilate that He be executed.
    [Act 22:4 NASB] 4 "I persecuted this Way to the death, binding and putting both men and women into prisons,
    [Act 23:29 NASB] 29 and I found him to be accused over questions about their Law, but under no accusation deserving death or imprisonment.
    [Act 25:11, 25 NASB] 11 "If, then, I am a wrongdoer and have committed anything worthy of death, I do not refuse to die; but if none of those things is [true] of which these men accuse me, no one can hand me over to them. I appeal to Caesar." ... 25 "But I found that he had committed nothing worthy of death; and since he himself appealed to the Emperor, I decided to send him.
    [Act 26:10, 21, 31 NASB] 10 "And this is just what I did in Jerusalem; not only did I lock up many of the saints in prisons, having received authority from the chief priests, but also when they were being put to death I cast my vote against them. ... 21 "For this reason [some] Jews seized me in the temple and tried to put me to death. ... 31 and when they had gone aside, they [began] talking to one another, saying, "This man is not doing anything worthy of death or imprisonment."
    [Act 28:18 NASB] 18 "And when they had examined me, they were willing to release me because there was no ground for putting me to death.

18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once again (see a pattern) the Calvinist posts falsehood. This is all they have folks, redefine words, deny the biblical meaning, and then spew forth misrepresentations as a smokescreen.

I addressed the meaning at John 6:44 and John 12:23, so I get a question for another verse. On and on folks, on and on....

The word translated "draw" in those two verses is used metaphorically to mean attract, not compel. That is the topic not being addressed by the Calvinist, or any Calvinist.

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good word to study.

20. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to YOU.

Not in a topic called:

Biblical vs Secular Definitions of English Words

Try talking about the topic (which is not ‘Calvinism’).