1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Biblical vs Secular Definitions of English Words

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JonC, Aug 12, 2020.

1. George Antonios

George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "apostate Judaism" is not a "city".
    Cities are things like: Rome, Tyre, Nineveh, New York, Singapore, Tokyo, Islamabad, Montreal, Berlin, Lima, Stockholm, Beirut...you know...cities.

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A few more "special words" that mean (or meant in the past) one thing in a dictionary, but something else according to one's religious dogma.

1) Predestination - refers to God deciding to bring about a future event. However, some think the word means God chose certain individuals before creation for salvation.

2) Atonement - refers to reconciliation. However, some think the word refers to Christ's sacrifice on the cross. When the KJV used atonement, it meant reconciliation, however now dictionaries say that meaning is archaic. JonC addressed this drift in post #19.

• Like Like x 1
  3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IMHO, Emancipation is the fulfillment of Revelation 20:7. Still, very much alive and ongoing. The struggle we have now is the camp of the saints being encompassed Revelation 20:9. But no worries, fire from heaven is going to devour the adversaries.

#23 kyredneck, Aug 14, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  4. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But...you know...BIBLICALLY DEFINING... speaking allegorically...cities can represent covenants:

24 Which things contain an allegory: for these women are two covenants; one from mount Sinai, bearing children unto bondage, which is Hagar.
    25 Now this Hagar is mount Sinai in Arabia and answereth to the Jerusalem that now is: for she is in bondage with her children.
    26 But the Jerusalem that is above is free, which is our mother. Gal 4

The two women and the two cities of Revelation represent the two covenants.

#24 kyredneck, Aug 14, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  5. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I mean...really...think about it...BIBLICALLY SPEAKINHG/ALLEGORICALLY DEFINING ...cities:

the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt

...is also Babylon the great city, Mystery Babylon, these are POINTERS to more allegories.

6. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not to mention that Heavenly Jerusalem is associated with Christ's church:
    [Heb 12:22-23 KJV] 22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels, 23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,

If the heavenly Jerusalem can be associated directly with the non-apostate Hebrews, surely the earthly Jerusalem can be associated directly with the apostate Hebrews.

• Like Like x 1
  7. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    heresy. Any teaching rejected by the Christian community as contrary to Scripture and hence to orthodox doctrine. Most of the teachings that have been declared heretical have to do with either the nature of God or the person of Jesus Christ. The term heresy is not generally used to characterize non-Christian belief. That is to say, systems of belief such as atheism or agnosticism, or non-Christian religions such as Buddhism or Islam are not technically heresy. The term heresy is generally reserved for any belief that claims to be Christian and scriptural but has been rejected by the church as sub-Christian or antiscriptural.
    Grenz, S., Guretzki, D., & Nordling, C. F. (1999). In Pocket dictionary of theological terms (p. 58). Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press.

11.50 αἵρεσιςa, εως f: a division or group based upon different doctrinal opinions and/or loyalties and hence by implication in certain contexts an unjustified party or group (applicable in the NT to religious parties)—‘religious party, sect.’ τὴν ἀκριβεστάτην αἵρεσιν τῆς ἡμετέρας θρησκείας ‘the strictest party of our religion’ Ac 26:5; τὴν ὁδὸν ἣν λέγουσιν αἵρεσιν ‘the way which they say is a false party’ Ac 24:14. Compare αἵρεσιςb in 33.241 where it means the content of false doctrines or teaching.
    Louw, J. P., & Nida, E. A. (1996). Greek-English lexicon of the New Testament: based on semantic domains (electronic ed. of the 2nd edition., Vol. 1, p. 128). New York: United Bible Societies.

8. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    26 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all. Gal 4

3 Jesus answered and said to him, `Verily, verily, I say to thee, If any one may not be born from above, he is not able to see the reign of God;`
    5 Jesus answered, `Verily, verily, I say to thee, If any one may not be born of water, and the Spirit, he is not able to enter into the reign of God;
    6 that which hath been born of the flesh is flesh, and that which hath been born of the Spirit is spirit.
    7 `Thou mayest not wonder that I said to thee, It behoveth you to be born from above;
    8 the Spirit where he willeth doth blow, and his voice thou dost hear, but thou hast not known whence he cometh, and whither he goeth; thus is every one who hath been born of the Spirit.` Jn 3 YLT

13 who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. Jn 1

9 Whosoever is begotten of God doeth no sin, because his seed abideth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is begotten of God. 1 Jn 3
    7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is begotten of God, and knoweth God. 1 Jn 4
    1 Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is begotten of God: and whosoever loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.
    4 For whatsoever is begotten of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that hath overcome the world, even our faith. 1 Jn 5

2 Jehovah loveth the gates of Zion More than all the dwellings of Jacob.
    3 Glorious things are spoken of thee, O city of God. Selah
    4 I will make mention of Rahab and Babylon as among them that know me: Behold, Philistia, and Tyre, with Ethiopia: This one was born there.
    5 Yea, of Zion it shall be said, This one and that one was born in her; And the Most High himself will establish her.
    6 Jehovah will count, when he writeth up the peoples, This one was born there. Selah Ps 87

28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are children of promise.
    29 But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, so also it is now. Gal 4

Born of God = born from above = born of the Spirit = child of Zion

#28 kyredneck, Aug 15, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
  9. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe that the legitimate translators of God's word into English, both old & new, generally intended for their translations to be in the regular language of their times. While some KJVOs have invented something they call "Church English", the reality is, there's no such thing.

Heresy is dissent or deviation from a dominant theory, opinion, practice, or dogma in any facet of life, I. E. "Joe Blow is a Democratic heretic because he's a Conservative." Of course, that definition applies to religion also.

One term that's almost-exclusively applied to religion is "infidel" It simply means "holding to a religion other than one's own". Thus, Protestants & Catholics generally consider each other as infidels.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The term "heresy" is used to characterize non- Christian belief. (for example, Isaac Asimov spoke of political, socioeconomic and scientific heresies; "heresy" is used in political theory; Islam uses the word "heresy" ).

11. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    It depends on your resource.

12. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dingdingdingding! You are the winner! You’ve managed to restate the OP! Where are going to go now? (Hint: you’re supposed to say “Disneyland”.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is silly. It is a FACT that the word "heresy" is not restricted to Christian Doctrine. It does not depend on one's source because we all have brains and can look up instances where "heresy" is used in scientific, secular, socioeconomic, and political contexts.

"But the prevalent and orthodox scientific faith was still that of the material nature of light; the undulatory hypothesis was a heresy, and Young a heretic. If his great researches had been reviewed by a physicist or a brother worker" The American Journal of Science

“If a scientific heresy is ignored or denounced by the general public, there is a chance it may be right. If a scientific heresy is emotionally... " Isaac Asimov

" Since the outbreak of the Cold War , there has been a mounting campaign against political heretics" . Robert Wilkerson

"Having thing to extinguish a political heresy that ought... I oppose this heresy" Andrew Johnson on the State of the Union

"While Cattaneo's closest associates voiced reservations about his political ideas, Mazzini and his followers rejected them as the worst kind of political heresy" C. M. Lovett

"The portrait was a political revelation to Cooper. To his surprise, he found not the advocate of infidelity and political heresy clad in the red breeches of radicalism" Robert Spann

"A rhetorical heretic differs from a whistleblower in important ways. ... We briefly overview LCDR Swift's case and then discuss secular heresy and its relationship to..." Catherine Palczewski

"The most well known contemporary claim to scientific heresy is based on the claim that science undergoes revolutions that transform the norms of scientific" Stephen Ross

"Some scientists are considered heretics by..." Vernon Grose

"areas regarded as taboo by orthodox scientific opinion, that the term scientific heresy" John Collins

"standpoint of actual science and thereby less effective either as a control over scientific heresy or as an approach to further doxology as the century progressed" Bozeman

"Well that is the way with the public : it likes a comfortable scientific heresy." John Cook

"Often yesterday's heresy is today's science (and conversely today's pseudoscience is yesterday's science)." S. Lyons

"Do not be misled by the fact that today hardly anyone gets killed for joining a scientific heresy" Cohen

"caused by the collision of objects in space, another concept that was regarded for decades as scientific heresy" Powell

"Both Commonweal and The Pilot charged him with advocating socioeconomic heresy.” P.C. Kemeny

14. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    Guys, stop and think about this for a second. You just identified Biblical Judaism as Apostate Judaism.

Paul says Hagar = earthly Jerusalem = Mount Sinai = bondage

You guys made that [the law of mount Sinai] Apostate Judaism! Even though Apostate Judaism is the opposite of Mount Sinai! The law of Moses on Mount Sinai was not apostate, brethren!

Rom 7:12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.

15. George Antonios

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please post #34

16. Derf B

Derf B Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It’s a rather large jump to say that because there’s an allegory that refers to a city or other geographical point that suddenly “biblical Judaism” is the same as “apostate Judaism”.

But Paul is pretty specific when he says that those in the church that get circumcised are going back to the law instead of trusting in Jesus Christ. That would fit both the “apostate” and “Judaism” categories.

Is that the same as Babylon in Revelation? Could be. They crucified Christ and martyred the saints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

19 .... Let there be no fruit from thee henceforward for ever.... Mt 21

33 Ye serpents, ye offspring of vipers, how shall ye escape the judgment of hell?
    34 Therefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: some of them shall ye kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute from city to city:
    35 that upon you may come all the righteous blood shed on the earth, from the blood of Abel the righteous unto the blood of Zachariah son of Barachiah, whom ye slew between the sanctuary and the altar.
    36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.
    37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, that killeth the prophets, and stoneth them that are sent unto her! how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!
    38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate. Mt 23

21 And a strong angel took up a stone as it were a great millstone and cast it into the sea, saying, Thus with a mighty fall shall Babylon, the great city, be cast down, and shall be found no more at all.
    22 And the voice of harpers and minstrels and flute-players and trumpeters shall be heard no more at all in thee; and no craftsman, of whatsoever craft, shall be found any more at all in thee; and the voice of a mill shall be heard no more at all in thee;
    23 and the light of a lamp shall shine no more at all in thee; and the voice of the bridegroom and of the bride shall be heard no more at all in thee: for thy merchants were the princes of the earth; for with thy sorcery were all the nations deceived.
    24 And in her was found the blood of prophets and of saints, and of all that have been slain upon the earth. Rev 18

42 Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I came forth and am come from God; for neither have I come of myself, but he sent me.
    43 Why do ye not understand my speech? Even because ye cannot hear my word.
    44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father it is your will to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and standeth not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father thereof.
    45 But because I say the truth, ye believe me not.
    46 Which of you convicteth me of sin? If I say truth, why do ye not believe me?
    47 He that is of God heareth the words of God: for this cause ye hear them not, because ye are not of God Jn 8.

8 And their dead bodies lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also their Lord was crucified. Rev 11

18. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anyone knows you can find a resource to back your claims. right or wrong. I provided two examples from well-respected resources. Even so, in the narrowest sense "sect" is a portion not part of the whole. The Ecumenical Creeds separate the "sects" from the whole of Christianity unified by the creeds. Thus "ecumenical" creeds.

19. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It looks like people are willing to discuss the topic in the abstract, but not in “the rubber meets the road” specifics.

Draw (Merriam-Webster)
    1: to cause to move continuously toward or after a force applied in advance : PULL
    • draw your chair up by the fire
    : such as
    a: to move (something, such as a covering) over or to one side
    • draw the drapes
    b: to pull up or out of a receptacle or place where seated or carried
    • draw water from the well
    • drew a gun
    also : to cause to come out of a container or source
    • draw water for a bath
    • the nurse drew a blood sample
    • the wound drew blood
    2: to cause to go in a certain direction (as by leading)
    • drew him aside
    3a: to bring by inducement or allure : ATTRACT
    • honey draws flies
    b: to bring in or gather from a specified group or area
    • a college that draws its students from many states
    c: BRING ON, PROVOKE
    • drew enemy fire
    d: to bring out by way of response : ELICIT
    • drew cheers from the audience
    e sports : to receive in the course of play
    • The batter drew a walk.
    • draw a foul
    4: INHALE
    • drew a deep breath
    5a: to extract the essence from
    • draw tea
    b: EVISCERATE
    • plucking and drawing a goose before cooking
    c: to derive to one's benefit
    • drew inspiration from the old masters
    6 nautical : to require (a specified depth) to float in
    • a ship that draws 12 feet of water
    7a: ACCUMULATE, GAIN
    • drawing interest
    b: to take (money) from a place of deposit
    • drew $100 from the bank
    c: to use in making a cash demand
    • drawing a check against his account
    d: to receive regularly or in due course
    • draw a salary
    8a card games : to take (cards) from a stack or from the dealer
    • draw four cards
    b: to receive or take at random
    • drew a winning number
    9 archery : to bend (a bow) by pulling back the string
    • drew the bow and aimed at the target
    10: to cause to shrink, contract, or tighten
    • draw your knees into your chest
    • Her face was drawn with pain.
    11 sports
    a: to strike (a ball) so as to impart a backward spin
    b golf : to strike (a ball) so that a slight to moderate hook (see HOOK entry 1 sense 3) results​
    12: to leave (a contest) undecided : TIE
    • drew the game 3–3
    13a(1): to produce a likeness or representation of by making lines on a surface draw a picture
    • draw a bowl of fruit
    • draw a graph with chalk
    (2): to give a portrayal of : DELINEATE
    • a writer who draws characters well
    b: to write out in due form
    • draw a will
    c: to design or describe in detail : FORMULATE
    • draw comparisons
    14: to infer from evidence or premises
    • draw a conclusion
    15: to spread or elongate (metal) by hammering or by pulling through dies
    also : to shape (a material, such as plastic) by stretching or by pulling through dies

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you expect to be taken seriously?

You claim the word "heresy" is only used in relation to Christian Doctrine.

I give numerous examples where it is used secularly.

Your reply is your sources say those references do not exist??

Let the board decide.

Given that people have used the word "heresy" to secularly - even a senator addressing the State of the Union, is it not foolish to say this has never occurred because a reference says so?

AND you have no grounds to speak of the Ecumenical Creeds because YOU reject them. You did so when you rejected the claim that Christ is "completely God, completely man" and claimed that was "two persons".

• Like Like x 1