1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured BJU Prof Randy Jaeggli's book on alcohol

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Mar 14, 2017.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The nature of a resolution is that it gives the opinion of the messengers and is not binding. I think you'd have to look at rules set by trustees or something like that to find something that is actually binding.

ADDED: See Jerome above for an example of how it can be implemented.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Southern Baptist Evangelists Denominational Endorsement Application:

www.sbcevangelist.org/downloads/Application.pdf

"...I have never been terminated from a job for immoral conduct. • I do not currently drink alcoholic beverages, use illegal drugs, or abuse prescription drugs. • I do not use nor condone profanity. • I do not practice fornication, adultery, homosexuality, nor any kind of illicit or immoral sexual activity. • I am not a pedophile..."

3. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no issue with any of that. A congregation or entity restricting pastors, elders, teachers, missionaries, etc.

It's just restricting basic church membership based on alcohol use (not blatant drunkiness) that seems wrong to me.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't think there is a biblical prohibition on alcolhol, as the Jews enjoyed wine, and Jesus did give out best wine in wedding... Just prohibited from drinking to excess, to be controlled by it, or also not to partake if it offends another Christian, or tempts them to fall back into it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you don't agree with your church's covenant, you can just ignore, reinterpret, or 'spin' it, according to 9Marks:

https://www.9marks.org/answer/how-s...ovenant-or-church-constitution-you-inherit-n/

That's what my 'Reformed Baptist' pastor did. We had a no-beverage-alcohol covenant, but he was assuring new members that the church wouldn't intervene unless they got arrested for drunk driving.

6. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what are the biblically valid reasons for denying church membership?

I can see sexual immorality, unrepentant sins, and drunkenness in scripture. And doctrinal issues, such as denying the trinity or denying believers baptism. But I don't see the doctrine of teetotalism in the Bible.

I just don't see where I have any authority to deny membership to someone based off of something that isn't by itself a sin. Though again, plenty of gray area for regulating its use which I don't deny.

7. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you mean on your own, I would agree. But I believe the church has the ability to covenant together and establish certain standards of conduct that all agree to and that all those applying for membership must agree to.

And the Lord has established that as being biblical. That is what Jesus meant when talking about establishing His church and that "whatsoever you bind will be bound in heaven and whatsoever you loose shall be loosed in heaven."

If a church agrees in the establishment of a membership standard the Lord honors that agreement.

If a church covenant restricts something a member disagrees with the member has two choices. Get the church to change the covenant, or find another church. Violating the covenant is NOT an option.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, I'll do some studying on that passage, hopefully soon but time permitting.

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would NOT be an area where one would be denied membership in my church, as the pastor himself supports choosing none or some are both valid options!

10. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not every church thinks the same.

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    True, and each local church would have the leeway to decide this issue, its just that thescriptures are not black and white forbidding it!

• Like Like x 1