Bogus Claims by Evols that Christians Misquote: A Test Case

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Jun 18, 2006.

1. UTEOTW New Member

More words...

Let's make it simple.

Patterson agreed that he intended a particular meaning which I gave you above. Do you agree with this interpretation? If not, then how do you justify an interpretation other than what the author himself claims?

Second, can you produce the ENTIRE letter so that we can see the paragraph in context? If not, why not? If not, how do you know what the context of the statement was?

2. BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Let's make it simple - as I already did here!

Since UTEOTW seems to need some help -- HERE is a good example - (going back to UTEOTW's first pont of accusation against me- where I DO quote Patterson and SHOW my view of his text)

------------------------------------------

Here is my first quote of Patterson in the SAME thread where UTEOTW attempts to claim I have misquoted Patterson.

3. BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    More words --

It does not get any simpler than THIS -

What UTEOTW STILL REFUSES TO DO - is to show a quote of ME quoting PAtterson and claiming that Patterson believed ANYTHING other than what HE STATED!!

4. BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Well done Lionel - after all there is no sense in BELIEVING what Patterson is saying!! WHY would ANY self-respecting ADMIT to the difficulty in the matter as Patterson has done AND YET remain a devotee to atheist darwinism as Patterson does -- UNLESS they had NO OTHER CHOICE!!

AFter ALL Lionel "There IS NO GOD" is rule Number 1

5. BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Question for the atheist darwinist believing UTEOTW --

DO YOU AGREE with PAtterson's statement above on the "LACK of direct ILLUSTRATION of evolutionary TRANSITION"

Or are you continuing your head-in-sand approach to this topic?

6. BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hmmm - Lionel is wanting to READ the lettter AND SEE what the real context is -- how "instructive".

Lionel seems to be paying some attention to "details" - what about UTEOTW????

7. UTEOTW New Member

It is such a simple pair of questions.

Do you agree with the interpretation to which Patterson agreed, paraphrased that what he meant was only that you cannot tell if a given fossil is directly ancestral to a living species or only a closely related side branch?

Can you produce the full text of the letter?

Your response need only be two words. Three, the hyperlink to the letter, if the answer to the second question is "yes."

I guess we know the answer since you completely avoided the clear and concise answers requested.

8. BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here is the full letter -- as requested.

9. BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Patterson SAID -

Patterson SAID of the quote above ...
    Clearly the evolutionist agrees to STAY evolutionist.

But the QUESTION is whether he was "misquoted" BY ME as UTEOTW has claimed!!!

NOTE to UTEOTW: you don't have to BECOME an evolutionist to QUOTE ONE!!

Why are these simple concepts so difficult for those who deal primarily in half-truths and revisionism?

10. UTEOTW New Member

Bob

Thiese are two very easy questions. Do you understand for what I am asking? Yes or no to each and a link to the text if the answer to the second is yes.

Do you agree to the interpretation of Patterson's statement that Patterson indicates that he aggrees?

Can you provide the full text of the letter to Sunderland such that we can see the paragraph in question in context?

I don't need a dissertation. Just yes or no and a link to the letter.

11. BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I agree that Patterson agrees with his own views.

I have never attributed anything else as something that "he believes"

12. UTEOTW New Member

Patterson agrees with his own views?

What is that supposed to mean?

The question is do you agree with the same interpretation that Patterson himself agrees to regarding the quote?

The second question is can you provide the full text of the letter to Sunderland such that we can see the paragraph in context?

13. UTEOTW New Member

We all know why these two questions are being avoided.

If Bob agrees to the interpretation to which Patterson has already said he agrees, then the quote loses the meaning that Bob would like it to have and takes on the meaning which I have asserted all along.

If Bob disagrees with the interpretation to which Patterson agrees, then it is a slam dunk case that Bob is taking Patterson out of context because he will have admitted it in no uncertain terms.

This is a lose-lose question for Bob so he cannot answer it.

The same with the letter. Bob cannot, or will not, produce the full text of the letter to SUnderland from which he quotes because the whole letter might show that Patterson was not saying what he wants you to believe from the quote removed from its context.

Another losing situation for Bob.

14. UTEOTW New Member

But we know how this will go.

Bob will not simply say that he agrees or disagrees with the interpretation to which Patterson agrees for the reasons stated.

And he will never produce the text of the letter.

15. BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    UTEOTW ACCUSES Bob of misquoting Patterson and as "support" he says that I AM not quoting Patterson ENOUGH!!

My failure to FIND EVEN MORE QUOTES from PAtterson than UTEOTW has -- is supposed to be UTEOTW's PROOF - that I misquoted Patterson!!!

What kind of twisted logic is that UTEOTW???

16. UTEOTW New Member

Quit making stuff up. I am not asking for more quotes. I am asking for the one quote in context. Can you provide that context? Can we see the rest of the letter?

More importantly, do you agree with the interpretation of the paragraph with which Patterson says he agrees?

17. BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In an effort to stop digging the UTEOTW hole that he is digging - UTEOTW asks for more QUOTES from Patterson as directed TO Sunderland.

MORE than I provided IN the TALK ORIGINS link.

Question: IS this going to come back to bite UTEOTW?? you betcha!

(But only if you consider finding more data to move UTEOTW back to the light of truth, fact and the Word of God is "a bite")

18. BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Question: do you agree with that part with which I said I agree and do you disagree on the part where I said you and I differ in our views?

19. UTEOTW New Member

Quit avoiding the questions.

First, do you agree to the interpretation of Patterson that Patterson has said that he agrees?

Second, do you have the letter to Sunderland such that we can see the paragraph in context? More snippets are not the the letter. They have no more surrounding context than what we already have?

20. UTEOTW New Member

It is obvious that even you know that your are trying to spin a meaning of the quote with which the author would not agree.

And if you are trying to spin a meaning other than what the author intended it to mean, then you are by definition presenting the quote falsely.

You know it. I know it. Any readers left know it.

You are guilty of the charges of quote mining.