1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Born Dead

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Van, Aug 4, 2022.

1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does this poster think the "Spirit" is being sanctified when he uses the phrase "sanctification of the Spirit?" Who knows?

How about sanctification by the Spirit, referring to the Spirit's action in setting apart believers with righteous faith?

Does 2 Thessalonians describe His choice of individuals for salvation as being accomplished "through" sanctification by the Spirit and faith in the truth? Yes. Obviously the Spirit sets apart those individuals whose faith has been credited by God as righteous faith. There is absolutely no mystery.

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you suppose this poster thinks knew the future? Is this his crystal ball theology? When did Abraham read Genesis? When was Genesis written by Moses, before or after Abraham had lived? So when did Abraham learn an offspring of Eve would harm Satan? Or does Alan think Abraham had read Daniel and Issiah? :)

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you misrepresent the truth?
    Folks, obfuscation on display.

BTW, is faith limited to Christ or must our faith be in God and His Christ? What does scripture say? Or did Alan leave God out of faith? Do we really need to believe in the One who sent Christ? :)

#43 Van, Aug 7, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
  4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another material false statement that will not be challenged by those charged with protecting truth.

Will this prevaricator be required to provide a quote where I said what I never said?

Did I say God pats them on the back? Nope I said all their works of righteousness is as filthy rags to God. Would God pat someone on the back for presenting a filthy rag? This is Alan's claim.

Did I say God gives them righteousness,or did I say credits their faith as righteous faith?

The wholesale allowance of falsehood is a problem for the ministry of Christ.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some may question the idea that being dead in sin refers to being separated from God and completely unable, as if dead, to do anything to cause oneself to be united with God.

However as fallen individuals, all our works of righteousness, are as filthy rags to God. Additionally Isaiah 64:6 indicates our sins have "taken us away" which of course would result in "separation."

And then, on the other side of the ledger, scripture teaches we are "made alive" together with Christ.

Colossians 2:13
    And although you were dead by reason of your wrongdoings and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He made you alive together with Him, having forgiven us all our wrongdoings,​

Now again some claim while "dead/separated" the lost are unable to hear or grasp God's revelation. However, once again scripture teaches otherwise:

John 5:25
    “Truly, truly, I say to you, a time is coming and even now has arrived, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live.​

Therefore, the concept that those "dead in sin" have no capacity to respond to the gospel is unbiblical.

6. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van, all these verses support the teaching that God causes people to hear His voice and respond in faith. In order to hear God's voice, the dead person must first be made alive. Thus God saves by grace alone and confirms this salvation by faith alone.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another non responsive post. Again, for the umpteenth time, through faith means existing faith was utilized to bestow God's grace, therefore as Romans 5:1-2 says our faith provides our access to the grace in which we stand. It is a lock.

8. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it doesn't.
    Through faith means that God utilized unmerited favor (grace) in salvation and in granting the gift of faith which justifies us before God. Therefore God counts our faith as righteousness because our faith comes directly from God as a perfect and holy gift.

Van, you get faith all twisted up and ascribe it to human action as being a meritoriously righteous act performed by humans, which God judges as righteous. You completely bungle Romans 5:1-2 and thus miss Paul's point entirely.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good grief, now through faith is a mistranslation, the actual meaning is through grace. Got it...

And did I "ascribe [faith] to human action [yes] as being meritoriously righteous act..." Nope, I said quote "all our works of righteousness, are as filthy rags to God" in posts #2 and 45.

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "conceived in iniquity" concept teaches we are conceived in a separated from God state. United with God we are “alive” and separated from God we are “dead.” When Adam sinned and was corrupted, he was separated from God. Thus all in Adam are separated from God and therefore dead at conception. When God puts us spiritually in Christ, we are made alive together with Christ.

Now lets look at some arguments against the doctrine that as a consequence of Adam’s sin, mankind is conceived in a spiritually dead, separated from God state, and is born corrupted with the “old man” nature, referring to Adam’s nature after his eyes were opened.

Romans 7:9 "For I was alive without the law once, but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died."

If we are born dead in sins, how could Paul say he was ever alive once? And how could he die if he was born dead?

This verse is certainly difficult with differing views presented in commentaries. I believe Paul was saying he thought he was alive, not knowing that he was condemned, but when he became aware of the requirement of perfection, he “died” in that he became aware he was dead because unforgiven sin requires separation per Isaiah 59:2. This view is supported contextually with Romans 7:13. The law did not become death, but sin was shown to be death through the Law. Sin becoming utterly sinful speaks to awareness because sin is always utterly sinful from God’s perspective.

In summary, Romans 7:9 does not teach we were alive at conception, but rather we did not know we were dead. This view is consistent with being conceived in iniquity, and therefore separated from our holy God.

In the parable of the prodigal son, the illustration starts with the son being together with the Father, hence alive, then he chooses to sin and leaves the Father, becoming separated and hence dead, and then he returns to the Father on his own power, becoming alive again. Now can we say that everyone starts out alive or does everyone start out condemned already according to John 3:18? We start out condemned, and separated because if we were together with Christ we would be alive and not condemned.

I agree we can establish doctrine supported by parables but we must be careful not to take the illustration past its purpose. In this parable, the son starts out alive, but since this facet of the story does not mesh with all the verses that say because of Adam, we start out “in Adam” and not “in Christ,” that part of the stories’ detail does not override all the verses presenting that we are conceived in iniquity. For example Romans 5:19 says we were "made sinners."

The other two illustrations of Luke 15, the lost sheep and the lost coin, tell the story of something belonging to the owner. Who is our owner? God. But because of the consequence of the Fall of Adam, mankind is conceived in a separated state, hence lost. When someone is united with Christ, they are recovered, found, redeemed, transferred from the realm of darkness into the kingdom of God. Next note that the 99 sheep are not really united with the Father, for they are in need of repentance. So the lost sheep actually represents a lost person who repents, which is consistent with being condemned already. The 10 coin parable makes the same point, the “owner” rejoices over the recovery of the one who repents.

In summary, both Romans 7 and Luke 15 are consistent with the Fall.

Next lets consider 1 Peter 2:25: The people in view, were continually straying which refers to the fact they were continually sinning. A lost separated person can continue to sin and store up wrath for himself or herself. The word returned might better be translated turn back, which describes a person who is going the wrong way, i.e. sinning, and then turning back toward the One who leads them in paths of righteousness. So again, no actual support for denial of the consequence of the Fall.

Everyone is created by God, and thus everyone is a “child of God” in the sense that God is our creator. But to say these children of God cannot be condemned and be children of wrath makes no sense. Next, God chose the nation of Israel to be His people, so in another sense, the believing children of the promise were “children of God.” And now, under the New Covenant, all those chosen by God and spiritually placed in Christ are born anew, becoming “children of God” in the third sense. So when we see the phrase, children of God, or sons of God, we must look to the context to see which of the three ways the phrase is being used.

As far as 1 Corinthians 15:22, the death referred to with “in Adam all die” simply refers to the fact everyone in sinful Adam is necessarily separated from our holy God.

11. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van, it is by grace you are saved. The through faith is the effect of God giving you faith to believe. Why is it that you refuse to acknowledge that faith is a gracious gift, not something you conjured up?

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL, through refers to by way of something being utilized. Please stop redefining words. Use a lexicon and learn.

13. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not redefining the word. I am explaining to you that Paul tells us, "while we were still dead, God made us alive with Christ...by grace you were saved." Later in verses 8-9 Paul explains that we were saved by grace, to which he adds, through faith that is not of yourself, but is a gift of God so that you cannot boast."

Van, in your teaching, you give man all the reason to boast...which is why you are "dead" wrong.

14. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus asked, "Who say ye that I am"? Peter answered, "Thou (you Jesus) art the Christ the Son of the living God". Jesus the Son of the living God stated," Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven."

Is there and salvation if Jesus, the Son, does not give his life, die, for our sins and if he is not raised from the dead? Would there be any being, born again or from above?

Gal 1:1 YLT Paul, an apostle -- not from men, nor through man, but through Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who did raise him out of the dead --

Is that an absolutely truthful statement? Is that statement described in the following verses? Romans 8:11 YLT and if the Spirit of Him who did raise up Jesus out of the dead doth dwell in you, He who did raise up the Christ out of the dead shall quicken also your dying bodies, through His Spirit dwelling in you. 1 Peter 1:21 who through him (Jesus the Christ the Son) do believe in God, who did raise out of the dead, and glory to him (Jesus the Christ the Son) did give, so that your faith and hope may be in God.

to the for grace ye are saved through the faith Eph 2:8

Is it or is it not, the death and resurrection of Jesus, the Christ the Son of the living God, by which our salvation is accomplished? By which there can be a being born of spirit.

Can death and resurrection be seen in Eph 2:8?

John 16:7 YLT 'But I tell you the truth; it is better for you that I go away, for if I may not go away, the Comforter will not come unto you, and if I go on, I will send Him unto you;

If I am not obedient unto death even the death of the cross there ain't gonna be no Holy Spirit. Southern

Probably would not have been any resurrection from the dead either.

That's my thought on Eph 2:8.

15. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was Jesus talking about His death burial and resurrection there or His ascension that was to follow?

16. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no idea what you just said. It was a series of questions where you never answer yourself. Therefore it is entirely speculative.

Here's what we know.

From Adam to the 2nd Adam (God the Son) every person elected to receive faith, placed their faith in the Promised One to come.
    The 2nd Adam came, just as Micah told us He would. He became the substitute for our sins, just as Isaiah said He would. He placed God the Holy Spirit in our hearts to counsel us, just as He said He would. These are all prophetic fulfillments that cause us to look back on the Promised One (the 2nd Adam) and believe that His sacrifice and substitution for His elect completely fulfilled the requirement of the Godhead to restore fellowship with fallen men. It is an act of grace toward the elect that has no comparison in its amazement. We are forever changed, not by the works of our own hands, but purely by the power of the Almighty.

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the Lord, “My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with his pinions, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness is a shield and buckler. You will not fear the terror of the night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in darkness, nor the destruction that wastes at noonday. A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you. You will only look with your eyes and see the recompense of the wicked. Because you have made the Lord your dwelling place— the Most High, who is my refuge— no evil shall be allowed to befall you, no plague come near your tent. For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways. On their hands they will bear you up, lest you strike your foot against a stone. You will tread on the lion and the adder; the young lion and the serpent you will trample underfoot. “Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him; I will protect him, because he knows my name. When he calls to me, I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him. With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation.”
    ~ Psalm 91:1-16

17. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While there's no doubt that those dead in trespasses are indeed separated from God, that is not what the word 'dead' means. It means 'dead,' the opposite of 'alive.' It does not mean 'as if dead.' It it meant that, no doubt the Holy Spirit would have said so (cf. Revelation 1:17).
    Just to be absolutely clear, it is God through Christ who makes us alive (Ephesians 2:4-5). Dead people are not 'made alive' other than by the miraculous intervention of Christ.. ​
    :rolleyes: Oh boy! Lazarus is dead. He's been in the tomb for four days. Is he going to hear the words of a preacher telling him how bad it is to be dead? Will he respond to his sisters begging him to come back to life? I don't think so. Only the voice of the Son of God could raise Lazarus, and only His voice, speaking through His Spirit, can raise the spiritually dead. Which is, of course, exactly what John 5:25 tells us. :)

• Winner Winner x 2
  18. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL, now we have a rewrite of the meaning of "dead."

Recall John 5:25? That verse teacfhes those spiritually, not physically dead, hear the message of redemption.

Falselogy must redefine word after word to pour the bogus views into scripture. Adoption, Dead, Regeneration, Predestination,
    Through, etc.

19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How many times will this poster be allowed to misrepresent me willfully?

Does salvation depend on the person who wills to be saved? Nope. So what is there to boast about.
    Does our works of righteousness such as putting our fiath in Christ result in earning our salvation? Nope, all our works of righteousness while dead in our sin, are as filthy rags to God.

20. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL to you too. I think most of us know the meaning of 'dead.' It means 'not alive' and 'spiritually dead' means 'spiritually not alive.' It is the Lord Jesus Christ who raises the dead, and that is what John 5:25 says. It does not say that the dead will hear the voice of the preacher, or the priest or the social worker or Uncle Tom Cobley. They will hear the voice of God the Son and those who hear will live because He is able to give life to the dead.

Vanology must redefine word after word to pour the bogus views into scripture. Adoption, Dead, Regeneration, Predestination, Through, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1