1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Branding faith? Churches in fight over naming rights

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by rlvaughn, Jan 11, 2018.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Branding faith? Churches in Frisco and Dallas in legal fight over naming rights

“Two North Texas faith leaders are locked in a legal battle over the naming rights of their churches.” One pastor won a trademark for the name of a church she founded about two years ago in West Dallas. Another pastor has “invested tens of thousands of dollars…in establishing a (compelling) brand in [Frisco]” (which is north of Dallas). Now the two are locked in a legal battle over the name. Who knew we needed trademarked church names – and lawsuits over them – in order to preach the gospel to the world!

The pastor of LIFT Community Church was previously affiliated with the UMC (current affiliation unknown). Lift Frisco is affiliated with Converge (formerly the Baptist General Conference).

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    After posting this, I remembered there is already a thread on this news incident. I probably shouldn't have started this one, but since I did I'll leave it because others who are not Baptists will be able to comment on it here.

Sorry!

3. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Naming rights for churches. How ridiculous! You'd never see my church doing that. Nosiree, not at good old Xfinity Baptist Church.

4. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "We were the first Baptist church in Dallas!" "No. We were the first Baptist church in Dallas!!!" "We were!!!!!" "WE WERE!!!!!. . .

5. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not that anybody would get it, but with Matthew 20:16 in mind, you could win that argument by calling yourself the Last Baptist Church.

6. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ha ha.

7. elder_jeffery_endicott

When the association I am in split in 1940, there was a lawsuit over the name. The other side agreed to add "Tri-State" to the name. The side I became part of eventually changed the name by adding "Old" to the name.

8. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thatbrian's denomination the Presbyterian Church in America started off in the 1970s being named the National Presbyterian Church, but was sued by another Presbyterian group already using that name.

At the next General Assembly, it was first proposed to include "Reformed" in the name, which delegates eventually voted down overwhelmingly. They chose instead to be known just as the Presbyterian Church in America, or PCA .