1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Breaking news...

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by JohnDeereFan, Jul 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Sorry I missed that part...

Back on topic, I wonder what the real reason she quit. I hear all the speculation about a 2012 run but I can't believe quitting as Gov would be good on a presidential resume. She would easily pass the primaries since she has an 80% approval in the GOP but couldn't see anyone not currently in her corner viewing this favorably.

There is other speculation that she landed a TV or Radio gig. Then there are others who say the endless lawsuits are getting old. Then there was the recent release of emails with the article in vanity.

I guess time will tell but we all know there is more to this story.

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I'm not following you Rev, who forgot how and what did they forget?

Are you saying multi-tasking has nothing to do with a good national leader?

3. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, on the one hand, she has a PAC that has been increasing it's action, not scaling back, so that would indicate that she's looking to go somewhere else in government. On the other hand, given recent events and some of the cruel things said about her daughters and her son, who has Down's Syndrome, I think it would be more than understandable if she decided that she could no longer subject her children to such abuse by people who don't have the class to know that someone's children are strictly off limits.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

If Palin is on the 2012 ticket, the Republican Party will suffer another loss. I know that I, someone who normally votes the Republican ticket, will vote third party just as I did in the 2008 election.

Conservatives should be hoping she is not making a run. Then, if she does make a run, vote against her in the primaries.

The GOP needs to give us a Fred Thompson.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, his presidential campaign went so well, why not?

7. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

You are right..his presidential campaign didn't go so well. Does that in turn mean that he wouldn't do well as a president? Frankly, I think it has much more to do with the fact this his message just didn't get out there. He didn't have the funding and backing of the other candidates. McCain, Huckabee, and Romney clouded everyone vision and they couldn't see Thompson. If Thompson was put out in front and people could see just how conservative he is, I think the GOP would have a good chance.

8. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

And whose fault is that? If Thompson couldn't get his message was out, whatever it was, that was his fault, not somebody else's. Presidential candidates either define their agenda and message, or the opponent defines it for them. Fred didn't/couldn't/wouldn't define his agenda and message, so it got defined for him and he became marginalized very quickly. Does the GOP need a candidate who allows himself to be marginalized like Thompson did? Absolutely not.

9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You could be right.

What was said about her son? I missed that news. I know about Letterman and his tasteless joke but I can't imagine someone picking on a child with down syndrome.

10. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Isn't running a good campaign one of the first steps to being a good president? I don't recall a recent president who couldn't run a good campaign excluding Ford.

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you recall, Mike Huckabee had very little money to campaign with compared to most of the top candidates yet he did much better than his fundraising would have indicated.

12. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Remember, though, the reason the FredHeads lost their steam so quickly was that Thompson, himself, was treating his campaign like a joke and wasn't exactly earning any credibility with some of the Youtube videos he made that were designed to make him look like a blue collar "regular guy" who doesn't take any garbage from "the man", but instead made him look like a drunken redneck, in one case with a large, half empty decanter of bourbon on the desk.

I loved the guy, but let's be honest: he was a living, breathing Saturday Night Live skit.

And let's be honest, he was a terrible D.A. on Law and Order.

13. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

You should go back to it. It was a topic you actually knew something about and could contribute to a thoughtful discussion of. Politics is way out of your league and you are revealing it here again. On top of that I must point out again that you are breaking your promise not to talk about politics.

And you have the audacity to call Palin a quitter. Ken, you have quit on so many of your commitments here it boggles the mind.

14. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

On another thread I wondered where Freedom aka Just Christian aka Baptist believer disappeared. Surely KenH is not a reincarnation! They all sort of sound alike.

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    More personal attacks by the conservative side. They repeatedly attack fellow posters instead of dealing with the subject, which in this thread is supposed to be Sarah Palin. It is pathetic that is all conservatives have left in their playbook.

16. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Yet more evidence that you don't get it. It's not personal Ken. When someone told Sarah Palin she wasn't qualified to be a national candidate, you didn't call it personal. She demonstrated that she didn't know what she was talking about, or how to say it at least. When someone tells me I should stop talking about calculus because I don't know what I am talking about, it isn't personal. It is a fact that I would demonstrate were I to talk about calculus. So when someone tells you you should stop talking about politics because you don't know what you are talking about, it isn't personal. It is a fact that has been demonstrated over and over again.

Ken, you promised not to talk politics anymore. You quit on that promise. When you promised to stop talking politics, no one forced you into it. You made that because you saw that you were out of hand. Now you went back on your word.

How dare you call Palin a quitter when you have quit on so many positions, not least of all your word that you would quit talking politics. Apparently keeping your word is only necessary for conservative Republicans. All other, you and Obama included don't have to and it's okay.

So just stop talking about politics because 1) you said you would (and that's all it should take), and 2) you don't know what you are talkign about in many cases. That's not personal. It's not irremediable. You can learn, and be able to offer some thoughtful, substantive contributions to this topic. But until then, keep your word.

Palin resigned as governor of a small state. Who cares?

#76 Pastor Larry, Jul 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2009
  17. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Palin quit on her commitment to be the governor of Alaska for four years, thus, she is a quitter.

BTW, some here have alluded to leaving the governorship to campaign for the presidency in 2012, but she didn't say anything about that that I heard. I think she just doesn't have what it takes to stay in the game and follow through on what she said she would do.

18. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From what I've read ... have not watched TV or listened to the radio ... was busy enjoying the music at the Smithsonial Folk Life Festival ... she seems to have rambled all around Robin's barn during her speech and hinted at a number of reasons she is stepping down. So, I have been mulling it over, why did she step down. Maybe one or more of the following, or maybe some other reason.

1. Just sick of the job.
    2. Wants to devote full time to the 2012 campaign.
    3. Concern for her family.
    4. A new explosive issue about her or her admin. is about to break.
    5. Discovered a devistating medical condition.
    6. Tired, tired, tired.

Who really knows? I sure do not.

19. rbell

rbell Active Member

Bush 1 in the '92 campaign managed to screw up pretty good...

20. rbell

rbell Active Member

Those are definitely the stock reasons for a mid-term resigning. We'll have to wait and see.

With regards to "rambling around Robin's barn" (never heard that one before)...I'd have to disagree. She did not give the specific reason for quitting...but she didn't ramble.

Heck...she didn't use a teleprompter. I bet Obama was jealous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.