1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Britain's Climate change police killing it's elderly citizens

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by carpro, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Not just the elderly suffering under Tory cuts but hard-working families on low wages: many are having to make the 'choice' between heating or eating in the winter months.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How terrible Matt. Do you have "food banks" in GB? These are places where people can donate food - others can come and get it.

3. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Yes but we shouldn't have them: they are testament to a failed government social experiment

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you have "food stamps" there?

5. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Not quite: to use a Food Bank you have to be issued with a voucher by a recognised government body or appointee eg: your family doctor or social worker. You can only have up to three vouchers

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK thanks

7. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Our church's men's group was addressed on Tuesday night (every month we have a beer and curry night with a guest speaker) by the founder of the Trussell Trust, a Christian charity responsible for food banks, so this info is pretty fresh in my mind

The Trussell Trust - Stop UK Hunger

• Like Like x 2
  8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a wonderful work Matt.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Annual cost of electricity usage - £460
    7 month Credit from solar panels - £1575

10. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Government grant=someone else's money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We all pay our taxes (except the very rich & very poor) & the government uses tax money to advance its policies, or for the common good. (Hopefully!) I paid taxes & pensions all my working life, & my pension is taxed.

12. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is the argument for spending other people's money. I'm owed other people's money, for whatever reason.

That's why US is 20 trillion in debt.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Duplicate post.

14. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hasn’t someone muddled your thinking just a wee bit there? If it was your money to begin with, why would it be called a grant? Shouldn’t it be called a return on investment?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why must you folk politicize everything - this is straightforward arithmetic.

We bought the bungalow with the solar panels fitted. The difference between what we pay for electricity & what we receive for our surplus energy feeding back into the grid means that the solar panels will pay for all our winter heating.

16. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sure must be nice to be wealthy enough to support all these liberal policies. You can buy an energy efficient bungalow fitted with solar panels (paid for with other people's money) while the elderly poor freeze to death because of the liberal policies you support.

When will liberals judge their policies based on the consequences of those policies instead of the so called good intentions of their policies.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rubbish! Your comments are nasty.

Democracy is in principle, government of the people, by the people, for the people. The work of poor folk makes business successful; higher wages & better conditions mean happier & more productive staff, & increased profits. A better paid work force returns money to the economy. Benefits paid to the poor are returned to the economy, whereas tax cuts for the rich are lost to the economy.

In the post WW2 years 1945-80, the Labour & left inclined Conservatives were competing for who could build the most houses - mainly council building to rent. Houses for sale, usually previously rented, were affordable to ordinary folk. My father, a teacher, bought his house in Southampton for about £1,500 on a salary of about £600 in 1958. I bought my previous house in a London suburb for £6,500 on a salary of £2,000 in 1970.

The basic mortgage rules were a loan of around 3x salary, or the monthly repayments equalled the weekly income.

I had a university grant of £750 p.a in 1957-60 for a 3 year course. The principle was that youngsters should be trained well for maximum benefit to the country. In those years jobs were available with training (apprenticeships) so that young 20s could afford to get married, rent a flat & have a family, with the wife at home looking after the children.

Then the right--wing Conservative Margaret Thatcher changed everything. Council houses were sold off to tenants & local councils were not allowed to use the proceeds for further building. House prices went up too rapidly & fell back, causing negative equity. Two of my sons lost thousands on property. Thatcher's war on trade unions resulted in buying foreign goods & closing British factories - exporting jobs. The Falklands war took massive resources.

The house we bought in 1970 was in an area of family houses. Over the years house prices increased rapidly out of reach of ordinary people. My sons moved out of London to areas where they could buy houses. We have moved near to one of our sons - we're retired & getting older. We've got a much cheaper home in the country - but jobs aren't available nearby. I could move because I've retired.

It's certainly not climate change policy that is cause the elderly to suffer, it's social services. Keeping people well is a lot cheaper than the consequences of deprivation. Hospital beds are becoming blocked as elderly patients have no homes to return to.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Under right wing Conservatives it's illegal to be poor -

19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not so much illegal but something that could be overcome and your fault if you didn't at least try.

This was the plight of my mother (stepfather incarcerated) as we grew up in my teen years in NOLA although a local Baptist Church, The RCC, The Salvation Army and the Free Masons helped us with food, clothing, medicine and Christmas toys.

The State - Welfare, no rent housing project (complete with roaches), school lunch and streetcar money.

20. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    The liberal policies that you support have caused this societal meltdown.

How long has Margret Thatcher been out of office? 20 years? More? Why haven't all the liberal policies put into place since cured everything. You've had a couple of decades, haven't you?

How long before liberals realize their "good intentions" are causing real harm to people?