1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

British Pensioner 78, Arrested For Murder Against Home Intruders

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Adonia, Apr 4, 2018.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It appears that he assumes our only intent is to kill when faced with a home intruder. Shooting to wound is simply idiotic. A really good way to get yourself killed.

I am trained to shoot to neutralize the threat. Meaning I aim at the largest target I can, center mass. Whether the intruder lives or dies is simply not up to me. The outcome is more in his hands than mine. He didn't have to break into my home. Being shot could be considered a probable result of such lawbreaking.
    My instructions to my wife in the event of my absence or inability to stop the threat, are entirely different.. Although familiar with the operation and use of a firearm, she is not an expert marksman, and has limited experience. The weapon she has chosen as her bedside defense weapon holds 17 cartridges of 9MM, and she shouldn't be afraid to use them all, if the assailant is still moving at all. Simply can't take the chance on him getting up and back into action.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

...but maybe you would like to claim that opportunity can never exist? Otherwise, if the opportunity might exist, I'd like you see you address my justification for MY actions in such a case to prove how "simply idiotic" I am.

3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nobody in this thread has made such an assertion.

Then you are hearing things.

Nobody has suggested a life that could be spared should not be. And your assertion that you are more spiritual than the rest of us because we have been there and done that is probably a violation of the BB rules.

That, of course, is not his argument. Nor is it anyone else's argument in this thread.

Nobody has done so. Do you just make this stuff up as you go along?

Nobody has made such an assertion.

Nobody has even suggested that.

Nobody has said that either.

Again, nobody has suggested any such thing.

Nobody has said anything else. And, again, thinking you are more spiritual than we are is the epitome of pride.

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When facing an assailant who has broken into your home, if you decide it is necessary to shoot and you shoot to wound, you are an idiot.

End of story. There is nothing to discuss.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ideally.

6. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its not a video game. If you guess wrong, there us no reset button.

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not a "peace officer" and never have been and my training was somewhat different. Being a correctional officer, I am required, not allowed to, but required to use deadly force in the event of an attempted escape if it appears that recapture is not imminent.. But I am also allowed to use deadly force to prevent bodily harm to myself or others. Using deadly force does not mean that you have to kill, but have to shoot..

I don't even carry a weapon often, just in the case of prisoner transport. I have many times worn a pistol while sitting outside the door of a hospital room occupied by an inmate. One officer is in the room armed only with pepper foam and a riot baton, and the other is outside the door with a 357 magnum. The outside officer is to never enter the room, no matter what happens, and must be aware that he is the very last line of defense for the hospital staff against a dangerous criminal getting loose among them. It is his duty to bring down the inmate if he in the process of defeating, or does defeat, the officer in the room. Under no circumstances will the inmate be allowed to leave the room, even if he takes the inside officer hostage. Whether or not the inmate is armed makes no difference and we are always to aim center mass.

The only other time I am equipped with weapons is working a perimeter tower or perimeter patrol. I am equipped with a 12 guage shotgun, an AR 15 and the 357 magnum. The responsibilty there is the same as a transport, I am required to use deadly force in the event of an attempted escape if it appears that recapture is not imminent.

If I do not do my duty, I am certainly subject to termination, and in some circumstances subject to prosecution. What that means is that , if I draw my weapon in the line of duty, there is a pretty good chance someone is going to get shot. We don't arrest anyone. Of course, that doesn't mean I can legally shoot an inmate who has stopped his escape attempt and is allowing himself to be recaptured.

I would be charged with murder.

#107 carpro, Apr 8, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You guys seem to really like these generic standards you've been taught and really seem to hate my variation that merely suggests a true possibility of an opportunity and a preferable action on my part that dares to challenge the status quo which supposedly goes as far here as to claim you should always put a couple in the head for good measure without questioning the generic standard authority.

Sorry, I guess I'm just a rebel when it comes to questioning authority.

Much to do, time to go…but glad if I was able to provide some entertainment for the weekend. :)

9. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are again either demonstrating first grade level reading comprehension or being intentionally dishonest.

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. David Kent

David Kent Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You all seem to be future murderers rather than Christians.

11. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Self defense is not murder.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What has been discussed is not self defence.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I don't know about all that, I do know that in the event of heated armed conflict "aim for center mass" is embedded from my training, and that's what I'll do. Shoot for center mass.

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    putting evil doers to death is self defense.

• Like Like x 1
  15. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes that is the unregenerate worldly view, not the Christian view.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 13:1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.
    2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.
    3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:
    4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.

17. David Kent

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who is the bearer of the sword? The Ruler.

18. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your reply to me wherein your [Edit: Name calling] supported you taking opposition to my view in the extreme as you boasted about proper "expert" training protocol and what it consisted of is on full display a couple pages back and I trust the average reader to be able to comprehend and discern for himself if someone is not being honest and resorting to personal attacks to defend their position rather than addressing the issues.

Other than that I have no more time for debating about personal attacks and/or the reasons for the tactics some typically use here to try to fabricate them are not important to me and I won't be pursuing the matter.

#118 Benjamin, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2018
  19. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would agree with you there that would be the correct response

20. Reynolds

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quote what is said accurately next time.

#120 Reynolds, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2018