1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BSA Official Mormon Youth Organization????

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by righteousdude2, Jul 18, 2012.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You tell me??? I believe it to be which is why I left the ranks of professional scouting!

The only thing I have against the BSA, and it is one of the reasons I resigned my commission, is their Mormon scouting program. They turned their attention to the Mormon church in the early eighties, and the Mormon church is a major donor and player in the BSA, including their own Varsity and Venture Scouting program, which is an offshoot of the LDS church. The church uses the BSA as a major church youth organization. This is one of the reasons they hold the line on homosexuality....

I have to give the LDS and BSA credit though, as they turn out TONS of Eagle Scouts...

Official Statment by LDS on Scouting:

Statement by the Church on Scouting

“Where Scouting is authorized by the Church, quorums may participate in Scouting activities during Mutual. Under priesthood leadership, Scouting can complement the efforts of Aaronic Priesthood quorums and Primary classes in building testimonies in young men and boys. The following resources can help Scout leaders in their responsibilities.”

~http://lds.org/service/serving-in-th...urces/scouting

SEE:http://ldsbsa.org/

http://www.scouting.org/About/FactSh...ay_Saints.aspx

#1 righteousdude2, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2012
  2. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

The fact that the LDS sponsors a greater number of troops than the Methodists, Lutherans, Baptists, or other religious groups doesn't make the BSA a Mormon organization.

Having said that, I realize that You saw a part of the organization that most do not.

As a former Scout (many decades ago), the son of a Scout, the nephew of a former BSA executive, and member of an extended family in which most boys were Scouts, I believe the organization was and still is a beneficial one.

#2 Arbo, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2012
  3. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That Was Not My Point....

....I think scouting is one of the best youth organizations in our country and the world. However, the Mormon church has chosen to make the scouts their national youth organization, and the BSA is heavily slanted towards Mormonism.

There is nothing wrong with that. But, as a believer, I found it difficult working closely with a cult like church, and that was what my job description included. I had to attend services, as an Executive, in order to award the boys with their Eagle Scout rank, and sitting in the LDS church, believing what I feel about them, was a spiritual choice that I found hard to do.

I am not slamming the BSA. Just the fact, that they have sold out to the LDS church in order to get a good portion of their leaders and youth, and funding. I was conflicted, spiritually speaking, and had to leave for that reason. I saw the handwriting on the wall, when I attended their Executive training coursework and had to sit under Mormon representatives that taught us how to handle, approach and deal with their troops, leaders and kids.

The truth was then, and is more so today, without LDS support, the BSA would be struggling, and probably accepting deals with the gay commmunity [like the Girl Scouts] in order to maintain its federal and private funding sources.

Peace! :wavey:

4. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you were experiencing a spiritual conflict by perfoming your duties of employment, you really had no choice but to take action. Kudos for not selling out your convictions.:thumbs: