1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bully Calls News Anchor Fat

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That wasn't bullying and she didn't destroy the email author.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    ITL, I agree with you.

The news anchor said "You dont know me", well, the News anchor does not know the letter writer either - so she is judging him as well.....

4. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yep. Seemed more like an editorial about the latest media crusade- bullying.

#4 Arbo, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2012
  5. targus

targus New Member

First of all - no one called her "fat".

Second - What the emailer wrote to her is no different than what we have been hearing from the First Lady for some time now?

I'm guessing that the "bully" is a lib democrat doing his best to push the Obama party line on obesity as "the greatest threat to national security".

Seriously, Michelle Obama actually said that. :rolleyes:

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More from WKBT-TV Anchor Jennifer Livingston:

Youtube

7. targus

targus New Member

Thanks for the laugh, Jerome! :laugh:

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I saw NO bullying in that e-mail but instead a letter that is asking a valid question regarding health and what we are telling our children. Could the anchor have gone on and spoken about health, the steps she is taking to be healthy and encouraging everyone to take charge of their bodies, eat well and exercise? No. Instead she took offense when there was no attack. That was shameful.

9. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

What is the difference between bullying and insulting, or is there one?

As I see it, she may have been insulted; but she wasn't bullied.

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

And it certainly doesn't seem like it was meant to insult but instead to ask a valid question. Instead of getting into a huff, it was the perfect opportunity for education. Name calling just shuts down dialogue.

12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was neither a valid question nor anyone's business to comment on.

13. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

According to stopbullying.gov, what this man did does not at all constitute bullying.

"Bullying is unwanted, aggressive behavior among school aged children that involves a real or perceived power imbalance. The behavior is repeated, or has the potential to be repeated, over time. Both kids who are bullied and who bully others may have serious, lasting problems.

In order to be considered bullying, the behavior must be aggressive and include:

An Imbalance of Power: Kids who bully use their power—such as physical strength, access to embarrassing information, or popularity—to control or harm others. Power imbalances can change over time and in different situations, even if they involve the same people.
    Repetition: Bullying behaviors happen more than once or have the potential to happen more than once.
    Bullying includes actions such as making threats, spreading rumors, attacking someone physically or verbally, and excluding someone from a group on purpose."

14. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

I certainly see how you look at this. Someone, who hears the daily lecture on the evils of obesity preached by Michelle Obama and advocated by the media, points out a perceived discrepancy and gets the unfair label of bully.

Truth be told, I think he was tactless; but I also think that the woman has thin skin. Anyone who is a public figure needs to expect criticism, even the type that is unwarranted and malicious. It's the nature of society.

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Do I think it was a wonderful letter? Nah but I can see why someone might want to write that to a well known public figure. Like I said, I'm sure she gets a TON of letters from viewers with all sorts of comments. Why did she get her back up just for this one and why declare it from a "bully"?

16. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Call me cynical, but when this started to make the rounds yesterday I wondered who it was that found this offensive- she or the station manager.

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    She said the man's words "meant nothing." Quite the contrary, seems they meant everything.

People, insults happen everyday, but the Internet in the hands of women turn them into federal cases.

18. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently, her husband (who is the evening news anchor) had a problem with it and posted it to his Facebook page and drew the attention to it. If they would have just hit delete, then know one else would have known about it.

People call me fat all the time when I am out walking - which I am, but I am skinnier that I used to be. I just ignore the yahoos.

19. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

To be anti-"bullying" is the current fad in academic circles. Unfortunately many times they define "bullying" as "telling someone truths that they don't want to hear."

That is not to say that there is not any real bullying but that the concept of it has been too far generalized.

20. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Bullying is a made up condition to create another liberal cause. Who has not experienced it growing up? Get over it. No doubt new jobs have been created to recognize and solve bullying. They are called Bull Shooters. There are also twelve step recovery programs for habitual bullyers.

If someone calls me fat, ugly, and offensive, I do not break down, cry, and run to my bullying expert. I either ignore them or say, if you do not like it, look the other way, and go on. If there is one thing I do not care about on this earth, it is what someone else thinks about me.

Besides that, Baptist pot lucks are to blame for me being fat, I was born ugly, and the Republican Party taught me to be offensive, so its not my fault anyway.

#20 saturneptune, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2012