1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured ...but what of His Holiness?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Feb 20, 2012.

1. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Duoh... :tonofbricks:

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Only a handful of people on this board would equate that to what you have accused Skan of. Bravo.

3. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

You sent this reply in about 15 seconds after I posted. I think you will notice that you didn't read it very carefully as I clearly spoke of God's enabling. Now, to that reply I could have merely said, "Duoh..." and had bricks falling, but instead I asked you nicely to read it again.

Now, please try to be cordial and not make this personal. I'm trying to be nice here. :love2:

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like to start with the words of Christ. Can a good tree bring forth evil fruit?

5. Skandelon

Now that you are saved are you considered a 'good tree' or a 'bad tree?'

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't understand one's union with Christ. The good that I have is all of Christ. I am a partaker of the divine nature, incorruptible and cannot sin, 1 John 3:9. Christ's part in my union with Him is the good. My part in my union with Him, is the evil.

The argument you're attempting to make is fallacious on two fronts: 1) It is devoid of an informed view of the Atonement, and 2) It ignores Christ's words.

So, back to my question. Can a good tree bring forth evil fruit?

7. Skandelon

So, when you sin is it because Christ didn't resist the temptation for you? By the way, I didn't make an argument, I asked a question, which you failed to answer. Are you a good tree or not?

8. Skandelon

Oh, and in case you haven't figured it out, this line of questions will lead us right back to that same old "peripheral issue" that you continually dismiss.

We both believe that God gives bad trees what they need to become good trees, but you just think God's enabling is irresistibly applied to a select few, while I believe that no one has any excuse for their unbelief because God has giving them all they need. Some choose to rebel despite God's love, provision and mercy making their condemnation all the more deserved.

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You still don't understand the believer's union with Christ. Applying your thinking to a marriage, you are insisting that either party is sometimes a male and at othertimes female.* I could ask you, since your marriage, are you a female or not?

I would take this time to warn you, that if you think any good fruit you believe you bear is anything other than Christ, then you stand in dire need of self-examination.

As I said, all I bring to my union with Christ is my sin. My righteousness was wholly accomplished 2000 years ago.

But Adam had no union with Christ. There is comparing neither his innocent nor fallen estate with those who do. So spare us your uninformed cavils.

So I ask a third time: According to Jesus, can a good tree bring forth evil fruit?

*Even after studying it, many do not see that the man and the woman become one flesh (and that has nothing to do with sex). God has joined them. They are not individuals, and have all things in common.

#69 Aaron, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2012
  10. Skandelon

Aaron,

I think its interesting how you presume to know what I do or don't understand about a believer's union with Christ based upon my asking you a simple followup question. A question you refuse to answer.

Based upon your responses it appears that you are saying that you are a bad tree that has been united with a good tree (Christ) and all the good stuff you do is really Christ's doing and all the bad stuff you do is really your doing? Would that be accurate?

And so, when you fall into temptation it must be because Christ chose not to resist that temptation for you, right?

If it does it would cease being 'good' now wouldn't it? One might say that the tree would "Fall" if it produced its first bad fruit, wouldn't they?

God called all that he created 'good.' Even Adam. And I think you should know that even Calvin acknowledges that truth. Man became evil by bearing a bad fruit (sinning), just as a tree becomes bad by bearing a bad fruit.

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your questions betray you, and I have answered it.

No.

No.

You still don't get it, but even if your premises were correct, your questions are irrelevant because Adam had and has no union with Christ.

Nope.

Nope. One might say by the bad fruit, that the tree had fallen.

As do I.

A tree doesn't become corrupt by reason of its bad fruit. A tree has bad fruit by reason of its corruption.

Just once, you should let the words of Christ govern your thinking. I know it will hurt your pride, and you'll have to get a new dawg, but just once....

Adam was created good. Christ said a good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit. So if Adam did bring forth evil fruit, corruption had to have set in. Now, what was the corrupting influence?

12. Skandelon

Which takes us right back around on this merry-go-round to what/who corrupted Adam. "Satan made me do it!"

Bad fruit, Aaron.

Bad tree???

Satan made him do it? :thumbsup:

13. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

He is in control of everything. I have never stated anything to the contrary. He will allow things to go so far, and when He deems to do so, He will stop it.

I agree with this. Satan is the one who stirs up the trouble in our life. God is not the Author of confusion/sin.

In 1 Samuel 16, let's start with the very first verse.

1 Samuel 16:1 And the LORD said unto Samuel, How long wilt thou mourn for Saul, seeing I have rejected him from reigning over Israel? fill thine horn with oil, and go, I will send thee to Jesse the Bethlehemite: for I have provided me a king among his sons.

Why did God reject Saul?

Here's why:

Right here is where God rejected Saul as Israel's king. Although God knew this would happen all along.

The reason why the Spirit of the Lord left Saul was because God pushed him out as king, and gave it to David. God's providence was no longer over Saul, but was now upon David. By Saul's continual rejection of God's commands, God "nipped him in the bud". This evil spirit was used to shove Saul to the "sidelines", IOW. God is in control of ALL spirits. If He tells one to "move" they move.

#73 convicted1, Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2012
  14. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

I'm trying to get iconoclast's contention that ordaining evil is different than authoring it. Also, that God does not permit or allow evil but rather ordains/foreordained it. I guess that means he willed and then decreed every evil deed that ever occurred or will occur to occur. He somehow gave men a free will but only to make himself not culpable to the sins that he decreed or ordered that they commit. Is that right?

15. jonathan.borland

Wait. I thought you said that God doesn't "allow" any evil, he only ordains/decrees/predestines it.

So did God merely set the boundary and allow Satan have the power to do whatever was in his mind to do to Job, or did God actually decree/predestine every single thing for Satan to do?

I'm glad to hear you say this, although it seems inconsistent with your expressions of God never "allowing" evil but rather "ordaining" it.

16. jonathan.borland

It's a joy to read your biblically orthodox and systematically biblically consistent views. I'm glad you're here, Skandelon!

17. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

:laugh: :laugh:

There's a ditch coming around the corner.

18. Skandelon

Thank you. :thumbsup:

19. Skandelon

Aaron,

Now that you have established that you really believe that Satan made Adam sin maybe you could explain what made Satan sin? Was he created corrupt?

I think your deterministic worldview falls apart here. God doesn't create people or angels with corruption. He creates them with freedom. And since you can't define, understand and systematize freedom you just can't accept the mystery of its obvious reality.

It really is very simple. Adam determined his choice and he is responsible for it, period. Satan determined his choice and he is responsible for it, period. What CAUSED or determined Adam to sin? Adam did. What CAUSED or determined Satan to sin? Satan did. What determines your sins? You do. When you fail to resist temptation its not Christ's failure, its yours. When you do resist temptation then give glory to God because he gave you all you needed to make that choice and He didn't have to do that. Just because you had the ability to reject his gracious provision doesn't mean He didn't provide it and that he shouldn't receive the glory for it.

#79 Skandelon, Feb 26, 2012
  20. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I almost agree with you...

Two differences...

First, God had to allow that to happen or it would not have happened, but that does not take away the fact that choice WAS available in FREE Adam and FREE Satan.

Second, we no longer have the same freedom as did Adam. He is the cause of our separation from God and ever after Adam we are separated from God -- sin -- that only Christ can remove. Our "sins" stem from our separation but we are already separated before we commit the first act of sin that we recognize as such.

#80 glfredrick, Feb 26, 2012