1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured ...but what of His Holiness?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Feb 20, 2012.

1. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

So when God commands all men everywhere to repent he therefore grants prevenient grace equally to all and those he foreknew would receive him by his grace through faith he elected them and predestined them to become his sons and daughters, right?

#81 jonathan.borland, Feb 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2012
  2. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Agreed.

Agreed (Depending on what you mean by 'free.' "A choice to act is free if it is an expression of an agent's categorical ability of the will to refrain or not refrain from the action"...i.e., contra-causal freedom.)

Agreed.

I think in principle we agree on these matters, but the point of departure (which Aaron continually avoids discussing because he thinks its a 'peripheral issue') is regarding the effectuality (irresistibility) of the means God uses to "remove" sin and bring reconciliation. We can both agree the revealed means in scripture are: Son, Spirit, Apostles, Church, and the Gospel. You just presume these means are ineffective without a prior inward irresistible working of the Holy Spirit which in essence has to reconcile a person (regenerate) so as to give them the ability to be reconciled. They, in a sense, must be saved (regenerated) in order to produce the means through which salvation is applied. I don't believe this concept is supported in the text. Plus, if its true it gives all unbelievers everywhere the perfect excuse for their unbelief, for what better excuse is there than, "I was born this way and can't change." or "God didn't grant me faith." or "God does really love me." or "God didn't want me."

These are DEVASTATING teachings to many who come to our churches seeking love and acceptance, not only from us, but especially from God.

3. Skandelon

Some might believe that, but I do not. That is not the scholarly approach of most respected non-Cal theologians, but unfortunately is what most Christians today think is the only alternative to the Calvinistic answers. It's really no wonder so many are becoming Calvinistic.

The problem with this is view is that it makes the same basic false presumption that the Calvinists make. They over individualize the concepts of divine election and predestination (a problem in Western worldview where everything is about US individually).

I don't have much time but think of it this way. A pilot can predetermine the destination of his airplane without predetermining the individuals who board, right? In the same manner, Paul teaches that God has predetermined to conform and adopt whosoever believes, even if they are not a Jew. That is Paul's intent in Eph 1 and Rom 8. God has predestined "US" (all who believe) to be conformed to the image of Christ and adopted as his sons. We eagerly await our adoption (Rm 8), and that is God's predetermined 'destination' for WHOSOEVER BELIEVES in Him, even if they aren't of the SEED of Abraham (which is the big debate of Paul's day).

Got to run. Feel free to follow up with questions if you have them. Thanks.

#83 Skandelon, Feb 26, 2012
  4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, I like to start with the words of Christ.
    A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil:

A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit.
    When one views Adam from the universal, non-optional principles laid down by Christ, then the issue is clear to see.

But Adam's corruption isn't the only issue that trips you up. Back to my original point...The fact and manner of Christ's death and the instruments thereof were eternally predetermined, not by any necessity, but by God's will. This is how the Father glorifies His Son, and how the Father is glorified in His Son. It is the reason that the world was created, and all things are moving according to God's eternal plan.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is your scoffing interpretation, because you don't like the implications of Christ's words. You are the one avoiding the issue.

Not corrupt, but corruptible. Who knows what corrupted Satan? We're not told and it's useless to speculate. The origin of Satan's fall, is irrelevant.

That's not what is stated. It is stated that the all things were created good, but not incorruptible.

Don't assume that because I don't cast before you every pearl that I possess that I possess none.

Is God a free agent? Can He lie? Can He deny Himself? He who the Son sets free, can he fall away? Can he depart if he chooses? No? Why? Is he not free indeed?

Very simply put, freedom is slavery to Christ.

You can only play there if you deny the universal, non-optional principles clearly, and implicitly delivered by Christ.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's right, it's sin in me, as Paul said.

Still, sin is present with me. As I said, you don't understand one's union with Christ. All my righteousness is already accomplished, and was accomplished by Christ. Anything I do, that one might judge as "good" here on earth is corrupt. I bring nothing to my union with Christ but sin. That is all I bring. You don't understand that.

You do not understand the depth and breadth of your own sin, therefore you do not understand the depth and breadth of the work of Christ. Your arguments betray a shallow, and self-aggrandizing view. You don't praise God. You praise yourself. You built the building, God just gave you the tools.

Calling one's corruption an ability is like saying one born blind has the ability to not see. Sin is not an ability, it is a disability. Freedom is slavery to Christ. Only Sodom would call it otherwise.

7. jonathan.borland

Aaron, so what/who corrupted Adam who was created, in your words, corruptible but not corrupt?

Skandelon, who are the most scholarly non Cals in your opinion? I'm guessing Norm Geisler didn't make it?

8. Skandelon

So, are you telling me that Jesus' teaching regarding how we are to beware of and recognize false teachers should be applied to how we are to understand Adam's choice to sin?

Read the context:

Jesus is teaching us how we can know good teachers from bad ones. You will know them by their fruit. You are plucking a verse from its context to try and prop up your system. This is just about the worse case of proof texting I've ever seen.

Adam sinned because Adam chose to sin, period. He didn't do it because Satan or God or anyone else corrupted him first. He made a free choice and that choice was sinful. His choice wasn't determined by anyone other than himself.

9. Skandelon

Of course you would say that because to say what we KNOW would undermine your insistence that free will doesn't exist. Sin was found IN SATAN. He sinned, by HIS own choice. Satan corrupted Satan. Just admit that and appeal to mystery so you can stop with all this non-sense.

And I'm fine with the statement that "all things were created good, but not incorruptible," but that avoids the question as to who does the corrupting. Where does the intent to sin originate? I say in the creature. But if you admit that then you have to deal with issues within your system as to how God is 'informed' by something that originates outside of God. I don't need to deal with that because I am willing to appeal to mystery and just allow the scripture to stand which says, "sin was found in him," and leave it at that. He has the freedom to sin or not sin and he is accountable for his choice, period.
    Oink oink :rolleyes:

10. Skandelon

Apparently that is because I'm a swine that just can't quite grasp your precious pearls. If only God loved me as much as he loves you and granted me the intelligence He has granted to you. I can only hope He makes me able to be as humble and smart as you are.

I love you bro. and I know enough about God and people to know that I can't change how you think about me or Him. For you to say something like this to another brother simply because I believe his gifts are able to be rejected and you believe they are effectually applied is beyond the pale.

What you refuse to deal with is that a gift doesn't have to be irresistibly applied for the giver to get ALL the credit for giving it and for those who reject the gift to get all the blame for their rebellion. For some reason (that you won't discuss because its 'peripheral') you have come to conclusion that for God to get all the credit for his gifts, He MUST effectually and irresistibly apply them to a select few. In reality, God should get the credit for his gifts and gracious provisions even when they are rejected, but especially when they bring life and healing.

People who reject God's gracious provisions do so despite God's love and desire to bring them reconciliation and their condemnation is deserved, but that doesn't lesson the glory of his grace or the depth of his mercy. For you to suggest otherwise is only an expression of ignorance for what I actually believe and have experienced in my walk with Christ. I bring nothing but my sin. Even my faith is filthy rags in his sight. But God in his mercy takes our filthy rags and credits it to our account as righteousness because of Christ's provision.

#90 Skandelon, Feb 26, 2012
  11. Skandelon

It's been a while since I've read Norm's stuff, but from what I remember he makes some good points regarding 'self-determiniation.'

I enjoy Adam Clarke's commentaries. And even though I may not agree with every point that is made I believe there is much wisdom in reading scholars from both perspectives. Reading Calvin and Arminius' actual words is very helpful, in my experience. It really is amazing how similar they really are. Both focus greatly on the Glory and sovereignty of God.

I also like Hershel Hobbs, John Wesley and others who hold to similar views. Many take various approaches to the issues, but they all offer good insight.

12. jonathan.borland

Any more rather modern scholars to read on the issue? Do you consider Roger Olsen a scholarly one to read?

13. jonathan.borland

Good points, Skandelon. This is the basic issue and then one has to posit weird things like God ordains/commands/decrees sin but does not author it.

14. Skandelon

Yes. And it seems to me that their concept of what God actually does in unchangeably "ordaining/decreeing" sin is worse in regard to culpability than "authoring" would be. I mean which is worse and why?

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you of all people should know proof texting. [​IMG]

"By their fruits ye shall know them" is a universal principle. That is how the integrity of everyone and everything is known. So it applies to people as well as trees.

Restating one's notions is no evidence that they are the correct notions. That's why I like to begin with Christ's words.

16. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I say it because it is true. What do you know of the fall of Satan? Nothing. Asserting it was a certain way when you have no evidence thereof is pure fairytale. Is that the fruit of a good teacher?

An obvious allusion to an oft-repeated, yet arbitrary interpretation of Ezekiel 28. The King of Tyre is the subject, and by allegory, Adam, not Satan.

We know of the condition of man and the fall of Adam. We are given a multitude of incontrovertible judgments about those. And those are where I will begin when I assert anything. Attempting to allude to the fall of angels as if you've been told anything about them is vain imagination.

Question beg much?

The only nonsense I see around here is the constant assertions of one's notions as established fact with no evidence.

That's a question to be entertained once one submits to the premises delivered by Christ.

17. Skandelon

True, I do spend a lot of time debating Calvinists, so I'm quite familiar with it. :)

Right. So, you should know better than to continually treat me (and others) with disrespect and distain. That is a bad fruit that you often produce here, so what are we to conclude about you?

And KNOWING someone by their fruit is quite different from suggesting they have no control over changing from being one kind of 'tree' to another by the assistance of God's grace.

#97 Skandelon, Feb 26, 2012
  18. Skandelon

That is debatable but inconsequential because the result is the same. Either way, the Lord said of him, "You were blameless in your ways from the day you were created till wickedness was found in you."

And... "You said in your heart, 'I will ascend to heaven; I will raise my throne above the stars of God; I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly, on the utmost heights of the sacred mountain.' I will ascend above the tops of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High."

These passage show that the corruption was not created or made by God, but that it was 'found.' Where did this pride and desire to become like God originate? In the creator or the created? You can't...you won't answer that question and we all know why.

19. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

20. jonathan.borland

It was merely a speculation of what you believed. It appears I was wrong. Sorry. So how did sin get into Satan and Adam? If I understand your view correctly, God put it there, no? You say he ordained it but did not author it. If he ordained it but did not author it, where did it come from? Please enlighten me.