Calvin on "total depravity"

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by AndThisGospel, Jan 27, 2017.

1. AndThisGospel Member

This needs clarification. Please read Hebrews 10:5

"Therefore, when He came into the world, He said: 'Sacrifice and offering You did not desire,
    But a body You have prepared for Me.'"

Now, let's get specific by replacing the pronouns:

"Therefore, when He [Son of God] came into the world, He [Son of God] said: 'Sacrifice and offering You [God the Father] did not desire, but a body You [God the Father] have prepared for Me [God the Son].'"

Who is God the Son?

John 8:56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad.” 57 Then the Jews said to Him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?” 58 Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.”

God the Son has no beginning and has no end. He is "the Alpha and the Omega". He is self-existing and lastly "God is Spirit". John 4:24

About 2000 years ago God the Father prepared "a body" for God the Son. At the incarnation that body was united to God the Son.

Gal 4:4 But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son (i.e., God the Son), born of a woman, born under the law...."

The body that was "born of a women" belonged to our humanity. The question is what type of humanity? The humanity that existed in Adam before the fall or after?

2. MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Does a human have a body, soul and spirit or is a human only made of flesh?

3. AndThisGospel Member

You need to understand what Paul means by "flesh". If you look at the Greek word for "flesh", which is Sarx, Strong's given this definition:

sarx: flesh
    Original Word: σάρξ, σαρκός, ἡ
    Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine
    Transliteration: sarx
    Phonetic Spelling: (sarx)
    Short Definition: flesh, body
    Definition: flesh, body, human nature, materiality; kindred.

4. MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Does a human have just a body or is there a body, soul and spirit?

Which of these three is Paul referring to when he tells the elect in Ephesus that they were once dead in their trespasses and sins?

5. AndThisGospel Member

We are made of three parts, body, soul & spirit. All these components are interdependent. One fails, they all fail.

Let's look at the details:

Eph 2:3 "Among them (i.e., "children of wrath") we too all formerly lived in the lusts of our flesh, indulging the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest."

Before Christ...before the "new birth" the flesh (human nature) and the mind were in complete harmony. What our fallen natures desired the mind wanted too....

After the new birth, the mind is no longer in harmony with the desires of the flesh. Paul talks about this in Romans 7:22-23

22 "For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man (i.e, the born again mind), 23 but I see a different law in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind...."

Here's the new birth in a nutshell: "...be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect." Rom 12:2

The soul is essentially our minds, which includes the ability to think and learn and choose, our ideals, love, hate, feelings, discernment, etc.

Paul, then, is referring to our minds....

6. MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    ...and the spirit is dead...until God makes it alive?

Or don't you believe in the spirit?

Your idea of the soul is really just the physical function of the mind. From what I can discern, you don't believe a soul or spirit exists in a human. If so, that would make your view no different than an atheist as the only thing existing would be matter.

7. AndThisGospel Member

Oh, now you've switched over to the spirit....

Physical function of the mind? What are you trying to say?

8. MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have asked you three times if a human has a body, a soul and a spirit. You have not answered the question.
    Your biblical exegesis seems to only apply to the body.

9. AndThisGospel Member

Then you need glasses:

Here's what I said in post # 65

10. MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You believe in both. Good.

You need to grasp that the spirit is dead in sin until God makes it alive in Christ.
    Your attempt to connect John 3:16 to Ephesians 2 is simply poor exegesis.

11. AndThisGospel Member

I didn't attempt to connect those two...

12. MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sorry, perhaps it was the other person I am talking to in this thread. [emoji41] [emoji57]

13. AndThisGospel Member

I believe you are referring to Romans 8:10

"If Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, yet the spirit is alive because of righteousness."

According to Romans 7:23, "the law of sin"..."is in the members" of our bodies. The body is dead because of indwelling sin, yet the human spirit has been made spiritually alive by God's Spirit.

That infers before conversion (the new birth) our "spirits" were also dead, spiritually speaking.

14. AndThisGospel Member

Before conversion, our spirit is not indwelt by God’s Spirit. Except for the conviction the Holy Spirit brings to us from without, we can hardly feel our spirit’s function in the life. Therefore, prior to the new birth, we are dominated by the soul, or mind, and its preoccupation with self — or by the body with its lusts. At conversion, our spirit is made alive because the Holy Spirit comes and dwells in us. Our spirit becomes God’s dwelling place and the seat of His will in our lives.

15. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God still creates all human in His image, as that is way He proscribed he death penalty for murder AFTER the Fall, as those killing such killed ones made in iamgeof God still! The Image has been marred, not destroyed!

16. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do know Pal was referring to theelect of God here, correct?

17. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In theLord Jesu, washed in His blood, yes I am!

18. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God sted th rignow we are already seated in high places in Christ, so yourproblem is not knowing the scriptures on how God views this!

19. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Via te Holy Spirit Virgin Birth, same sinless natured Humanity as Adam had before the Fall!

20. AndThisGospel Member

Only in the sense we have agape, but that agape has been bent back to self by the fall. Instead of loving our neighbors unconditionally...in stead of living solely for their prosperity, we now unconditionally love ourselves. This u-turn agape is Satan's invention.