1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Calvinism and Fundamentalism?

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by Rhetorician, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Truth is I am quite calm about it. I'm not the one calling people psychos. You did. Name calling is is usually the first thing people do when they are very angry.

btw, I am no more a fundamentalist in the commonly accepted definition of that term than you are a psychiatrist. The OP was about Calvinists being the new fundamentalists, you and the others started the attack on fundamentalists. If I respond to your broad brush attacks then i am the one who needs the pill?

You think that your examples are the majority of fundamentalists, I don't. I have lived with them. I have worked for them and with them. I no longer do because the modern variation of fundamentalists see my use of non-KJV Bibles, contemporary music and pastoring a SBC church a departure from the faith. They're wrong about me and wrong about you. But the majority of them are not psychos or loonies.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke, you put this thread in a Fundamentalist Forum Room & your calling them nuts. Remember there are good folks and bad folks in any group, including us Reformed type..... Please consider that prior to making blanket statements.

3. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

Hey bud, I didn't start this thread. And you are just repeating what I said- that there are good folks and bad folks in IFB- that's nearly exactly what I said. No blanket statements. Keep up.:thumbs:

4. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

OK, Tom. Nobody said the majority of them were psychos, Bud. There are plenty of psychos among them has been my consistent position throughout these exchanges. Furthermore, I apologize- you do not need to chill- perhaps I do.

You are a great debater, very intelligent, classy and I do not wish to insult you. That was not my intention. If I did, please accept my sincerest apology.

#24 Luke2427, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2010
  5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Homegrown Northern IFB data:

from Kenneth H. Good, Are Baptists Calvinists? (survey of GARBC pastors)

How do you identify yourself?

Hyper-Calvinist (1)
    Five-Point Calvinist (174)
    Four-to-Five Point Calvinist (43)
    Four-Point Calvinist (430)
    Calvinistic (27)
    Sovereignity of God (5)
    Biblicist (20)
    Arminian (1)
    Other (108)

Do you consider the mainstream of Baptist thought and life to have been:

essentially Calvinistic (694)
    essentially Arminian (13)
    both Calvinistic and Arminian (16)
    other (54)

6. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Perhaps it would be better all around if we leave out the ad hominem attacks.

They really serve no purpose except to derail yet another interesting thread.

We can disagree with the theology (even vehemently) without working to tear down the persons who hold that system.

7. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    No apology was ever needed. I never felt insulted.

I looked at the Phil Kidd website. I wish I could have seen what he preached but he wanted me to pay for his sermons... like that was going to happen. :tongue3:

8. Tom Bryant

Faith:
    Baptist
    From Baptist Press about the new Barna study that shows number of Calvinist/reformed pastors.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How does the Presbyterian Church USA get into this paragraph when they are Westminister Confessions of Faith? Where is that data comming from?"

47 percent of pastors of mainline churches (American Baptist Churches, Evangelical Lutheran Churches in America, the Episcopal Church, the United Methodist Church, Presbyterian Church USA, and United Church of Christ) named their congregations as Wesleyan or Arminian compared to 29 percent of mainline pastors who chose a Reformed or Calvinist label.

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe that data is comming from someone who realizes that that a church can be Westminster Confessions of Faith as well as mainline?

11. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

Great post. I wholeheartedly agree.

12. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Truth or Dare? You know how childish your post sounds?

What exactly does this have to do with my statement "As to the utter falsehood that the AV translators were "calvinists" I cannot allow such nonsense to be considered by some to be correct."

Or

"They were 100% Anglican Catholic."

I stand by both.

As for your straw man (Beza = TR = text of Anglican Version) this is patently false.

The actual eclectic blend of texts used by the Anglicans to translate was destroyed. No copy of their unique blend exists. There are marked differences in the text they used.

Always find the only-sect mentality (AV is the ONLY or TR is the ONLY) to fall flat on historic fact.

Which "Beza" text? I have seen 9 distinct blends, all with his name (starting with the third edition of Estienne and edited nine times between 1565 and 1604).

The Textus Receptus comes from the publisher's preface to the 1633 edition produced by the Elzevir, 20 years AFTER the Anglican translation.

All this has been hashed and rehashed in the Versions Forum. The AV did NOT use the anachronistic TR of 20 years later!

13. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

#33 Luke2427, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2010
  14. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I am not KJV-only by any means, BTW.

Here is a source written by someone undermining KJV-onlism saying the same thing about Beza

15. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And in my hyperbole (in constant fight with the "only" mentality) I rush in where angels fear to tread.

Apologies extended for my language and broad-brushing.

17. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I appreciate that. I think too much of your knowledge and theology to want to be at odds with you. In fact I don't want to be at odds with anyone.

thanks for all you do for baptistboard.

#37 Luke2427, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2010
  18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NO my point is how do you get Wesyians in there....why would an arminian want to go to a Calvinistic Church?

19. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It doesn't say that 47% of PCUSA pastors described their congregations as Wesyian/Arminian. It doesn't say any did.

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Heck its Friday....NEVER MIND:tongue3: