Calvinism, The fruit of scriptural truth pt3.

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Iconoclast, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Scott Downey Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jesus says 'those who are of God hear Him' the only logical thing this can be goes back to john 3 and being born again, as in v3 says

3 Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

which there is not talking of entering but perceiving and that relates to understanding Christ is the Son of God, the promised Savior, the prophet
    Moses tells them God will raise up, and if you do not listen to Him, God will cut you off from His people.
    What the word 'see' means
    John 3 (KJV) - There was a man of (blueletterbible.org)
    G3708 - horaō - Strong's Greek Lexicon (KJV) (blueletterbible.org)

and of course Christ then says flesh is flesh, meaning if all you are is flesh and dead and not spiritually alive your not going to see (perceive) the kingdom and Christ as the door of the sheep.

6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7 Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’ 8 The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear the sound of it, but cannot tell where it comes from and where it goes. So is everyone who is born of the Spirit.”

2. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am also talking about perceiving, not entering.

I believe that God draws people to Himself. By this I mean God works in the hearts and minds of those who are being saved (Spurgeon attributed this to a divine persuasion, that God "tears down" our walls and gives us an understanding of the gospel that we would never derive without the Spirit).

So my order of salvation is that God draws men to Himself (I like Spurgeon's use of "persuasion" here, but I think it is more in that God gives us understanding...like Peter's confession which was revealed to Peter by the Spirit). There is a point of decision, but it is God working in us to repent and believe (or to call out on the Lord). Then, and only then, are we born again, recreated, saved.

I do not believe we are regenerated and then saved. I see this nowhere in Scripture. But at the same time I do not believe that we come to faith apart from the Spirit working in us.

Once God has reveled the truth of the gospel to a man, that man cannot help but believe. Say you do not believe bees sting, but then are stung by a bee, you cannot help but change your belief.

Men believe because God draws them. But we are not justified by faith alone. Faith without works is dead. Men must repent and believe. It is not enough just to accept that bees sting, we have to stop picking them up.

3. Scott Downey Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    it is of interest to note Paul knew what being born again meant, but he does not say that here, he uses 'sealed'
    Simply it means to me Paul is not talking of being born again here at the end of the order of salvation. So logically it must come before being sealed.
    Jesus even tells us do not marvel about being born again. It happens like wind according to God's will, not our will. Born of God first as a prerequisite requirement to the final sealing.
    Born again gets little mention except in the letters of John after the gospels, and once by Peter. They refer to it as 'born of God', begotten again.
    1. Ephesians 1:13
      In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise,
      Ephesians 4:30
    2. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.

4. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As far as Paul's words, I do not believe that he was providing an order of salvation. We have to remember that Paul is speaking to Christians and not trying to break down things into a scientific formula (or theological formula). People, not Scripture, makes salvation much more complicated than is needed.

You hear the Word, you believe the word and having believed you are sealed with the Holy Spirit. I disagree that salvation comes before being sealed (or that salvation comes after being sealed).

We have had these discussions before on this forum, but it has been awhile. To bring back a summary of my belief - I believe that a person who repents and believes is saved. Saved incorporates or means being born again, being sealed by the Spirit, believing and repenting....everything involved. But I do not believe it is appropriate to break this down into an order. In fact, I do not believe an order really exists.

5. Scott Downey Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    yes, salvation does not come before sealing as we are saved after we follow what happens also described in Romans 10.
    Neither does being born again mean at that moment the person is saved, before they believe in their heart God raised Christ from the dead.
    What born again does is change our hearts to a new one that God then can teach and bring to Christ. The old heart is dead to Christ and God, they do not work with that. Like Christ says in John 8, the old heart is unable to listen to His words. Such a person will not be granted to believe.

IT is true though that all born again will be taught by the Holy Spirit and believe. Their is no instantaneous born again suddenly saved thing taking place.
    The emotional response felt after believing comes from the Holy Spirit sealing us in Him.

God gives us a new inner heart is what this NC is all about, so that we can know them.

John 6, shows we must be teachable, that is what being born of God gives us. The 'all' here is not all men, it is all of those who are taught by God, they all come to Christ.

44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day.
    45 It is written in the prophets, ‘And they shall all be taught by God.’ Therefore everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me

The above is in opposite contrast to john 8 here, these people are unteachable.
    43 Why do you not understand My speech? Because you are not able to listen to My word. 44 You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it. 45 But because I tell the truth, you do not believe Me. 46 Which of you convicts Me of sin? And if I tell the truth, why do you not believe Me? 47 He who is of God hears God’s words; therefore you do not hear, because you are not of God.”

6. utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The Hyper-Calvinism found here is nothing like John Calvin's.

ARMINIANISM....are Calvinists Jacob Arminius is a Calvinist.

John Calvin believed God loves everyone and ultimately understood anthropomorphisms.

He loved and thought all children are innocent.

He taught election was hereditary. Just like original sin was.

You believe in infant baptism right? John Calvin did.

7. Scott Downey Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Definitely believe infants can be baptized, why not? Did not used to believe that, but do now, and water baptism does not save anyone, but it does fulfil righteousness, like
    John the Baptist baptizing people to prepare them for Christ.
    You can view water baptism of infants the same way.

Calvin understood this as a covenantal relationship, where the church includes the children of believers.
    One scriptural example Paul teaches about children of believers, that they are holy.
    And if holy to God, why not baptize them.

1 Corinthians 7:14
    For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband; otherwise your children would be unclean, but now they are holy.

“The voice of one crying in the wilderness:
    ‘Prepare the way of the Lord;
    Make His paths straight.’ ”

4 Now John himself was clothed in camel’s hair, with a leather belt around his waist; and his food was locusts and wild honey. 5 Then Jerusalem, all Judea, and all the region around the Jordan went out to him 6 and were baptized by him in the Jordan, confessing their sins.

7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to his baptism, he said to them, “Brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

13 Then Jesus came from Galilee to John at the Jordan to be baptized by him. 14 And John tried to prevent Him, saying, “I need to be baptized by You, and are You coming to me?”

15 But Jesus answered and said to him, “Permit it to be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he allowed Him.

8. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Obviously (from previous comments) I disagree. I see only two things - flesh and spirit. No in-between, no steps. Repent and believe (one act).

9. Scott Downey Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    They way I look at this, the only ones who will repent and believe are like John 6:44 says, they have been taught by the Holy Spirit. It could happen quickly or take longer. Jesus says first you have to hear and learn. Some people learning is harder than for others.

But you must be taught by God to believe in Christ. Personally, I always believe the drawing and the teaching takes time, not instantaneous.

44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day.
    45 It is written in the prophets, ‘And they shall all be taught by God.’ Therefore everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me.

so hearing, then learning, then they come to Christ, this is a process.

10. Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    utilyan,

Your response indicates you did not read what was posted, or if you did, you did not understand it at all.
    You have no idea what you are posting about.

An empty statement.

I doubt you have read much of his teaching. More likely is you gleaned some out of context quote from an anti cal site.

No he did not, you are making up things, this post is a waste.
    No...I do not. You again are clueless.

11. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for explaining your view. I appreciate understanding how Christians differ in understanding these types of things.

12. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lost sinner is regenerated, then hears the Gospel, and receives Jesus as their Lord and savior!

13. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So a man is regenerated outside of Christ, this lost regenerated man hears the gospel and then receives Christ as savior??!!

It would be interesting to see you reconcile that with Scripture.

14. Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lost sinner attends a local church the Holy Spirit enables ans quickens him to now being able to hear and respond to the Gospel by receiving Jesus as lord!

15. Scott Downey Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    They are not outside of Christ in time, God has foreknown them as His people. They are regenerated first, but still must repent and believe, and they will.

That verse 9 shows that. And the us are those God predestined, as in foreknew them.

2 Timothy 1:8-10
    New King James Version

Not Ashamed of the Gospel
    8 Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me His prisoner, but share with me in the sufferings for the gospel according to the power of God, 9 who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began, 10 but has now been revealed by the appearing of our Savior Jesus Christ, who has abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel,

16. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought local churches were assemblies made up of Christians.

Anyway, you are saying a lost sinner decides to go to a local church, then the Spirit is able to regenerated the lost sinner, then the regenerated lost sinner hears the gospel, then the regenerated lost sinner receives Christ. Correct?

So Christ actually has nothing to do with regeneration?

17. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand the "in time" arguments but they are a bit too philosophical for my taste.

I do believe God draws men and the Spirit works in men towards repentance leading to salvation (what Paul calls a "godly sorrow").

But instead of viewing God as outside if time, the elect "in Christ" prior to salvation I believe Scripture simply looks to the saved being saved (the final state of the Kingdom).

The danger (IMHO) of arguing time is it can lead to the error that God has experienced what has yet to come (which is obviously not biblical).

18. Scott Downey Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Scripture does explain to us why things are what they are. God declares the end from the beginning. Things that are not as though they were. God prepares beforehand the good works we are to do. And in His book are written all our days before any of them have happened.

All that should be of great comfort for believers.

19. Scott Downey Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God could not be God if He did not order and control so much information. He upholds all things by the word of His power.
    Time has no effect on Him. That whole idea of the Ancient of Days, scriptures are written for us to try and comprehend His all encompassing majesty, and yet people fail to grasp who He is. God is beyond limitations. And it is mans foolishness to say God could make a rock He could not lift.

Isaiah 46:9-11
    New King James Version

9 Remember the former things of old,
    For I am God, and there is no other;
    I am God, and there is none like Me,

10 Declaring the end from the beginning,
    And from ancient times things that are not yet done,
    Saying, ‘My counsel shall stand,
    And I will do all My pleasure,’

Ephesians 2:10
    For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.

Psalms 139
    16 Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed.
    And in Your book they all were written,
    The days fashioned for me,
    When as yet there were none of them.

20. JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with this. And it is not only a comfort for believers but a command to do those good works.

I disagree that we were in Christ before we were saved, but I do believe we were predestined.