1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Calvinists can't stand when smart people don't agree with them.

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, May 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You sound as if you would rather God....stop being God...and just be as man

2. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    EXACTLY!....when these men write such nonsense they are no longer trusted guides:thumbsup::thumbsup:

3. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Because you do not understand it,and cannot actual deal with it....does not make it false...it just shows your understanding to be defective:thumbsup:

4. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :thumbsup::applause::thumbsup:....Yes...this is true!!!

5. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You're using "Iconoclast" for a reference on these issues?! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

6. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

And the old General Baptist Saints -- you know, the original, first Baptists -- believed the "Doctrines of Grace", too, just not the Calvinist doctrines of grace, and the earliest churches and Christians didn't believe this like the Calvinists do, either.

7. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

So those who never heard of Christ will be fried forever by God. "Interesting" take you have there on God's character.

8. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That speed-reading course not working out for you, eh? You certainly flubbed my post.

9. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

On the contrary, I understood your post quite well.

10. glazer1972

glazer1972 Member

(NKJV)Hebrews 5:12-14
    For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the first principles of the oracles of God; and you have come to need milk and not solid food. [13] For everyone who partakes only of milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, for he is a babe. [14] But solid food belongs to those who are of full age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

11. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Help me understand how the proposal of an honest question (which you did not address) necessarily implies an obvious level of spiritual immaturity. In fact, the very asking of the question seems to underscore the opposite.

11 We have much to say about this, but it is hard to make it clear to you because you no longer try to understand.

Seems to me the search for answers, some of which will never be known to us with certainty, despite the elegant and systematically structured rhetoric used by all of us at times, at the very least hints at the attempt to grow and develop spiritually and intellectually.

12. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

No, if you read what I wrote you would see that I would rather not see God works being equated with Satan's by the insistence that both are equally ordained/controlled/predetermined by God.

Let God be God and HIS ENEMIES be shattered, but don't try to make God into both Himself and His enemy by using semantics to argue how he uses second causes to determine everything that happens. The idea of God playing both sides of the chess board is such a small view of our infinitely great and HOLY God.

13. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Glad you can speak for the Calvinists, I can't. I suspect that the earliest churches believed what they were taught by such as John, Paul, Peter, James, and so on. Exactly what they teach us!

14. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

"Calvinists can't stand when smart people don't agree with them."

The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom. I have met no Arminians that truly fear God, choosing instead the man-centered doctrines that deny God's sovereign grace. Therefore, those who reject the tenets of Calvinism are not all that smart. They may be highly educated, but that is another matter. What I "can't stand" is the perversion of God's Word that places the brunt of the salvation act on men.

15. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Don't worry Benjamin....he will use you as a reference for smug unscriptural comments, and useless carnal reasoning...if he needs a reference on excessive hubris and someone full of themselves.....:applause::thumbs::applause::laugh:

16. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Mont97 posted...

The ignorance displayed in that statement stuns the mind.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

You have no idea what you are talking about. Competely clueless.

Very very sad.

#76 Alive in Christ, May 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2012
  17. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

]

There has not been nor is there now, ANYONE around here who places the "brunt" of salvation on the shoulders of man, some of us, yes are convinced that man has a part in the equation, but no one has ever implied that man has the "brunt", i.e. that he is capable within himself to effect his own salvation.

#77 quantumfaith, May 20, 2012
  18. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My brother are you not tired of this back and forth by now

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I know I sure am. The BB is not a good place anymore. :(

But I can say that God has used it to help me learn and for that I'm grateful. It's just time to go now.

20. Winman

Winman Active Member

Do you have a job? How did you get your job? You had to go in and fill out an application didn't you? You had to apply for it. But that alone did not secure your job for you did it? No, you may have applied for the job, but the sole power of hiring you was in possession of the employer. The employer alone decides whom he will hire.

Likewise, God is the one who saves you, only God has the power to regenerate you, but you must apply for it through faith. You have to come to Jesus or Jesus will not save you.

Jhn 5:40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

God made the rules. You have to come to Jesus in faith to have life, just as you must fill out an application to get a job. But only God has the power to save you, just as only the employer has the power to hire you. You can't just walk in and start working, they will call the police and have you removed. And you can't work your way into heaven, you have to come by the rule God set, which is faith. The only thing is, God has promised to save all that come in faith in Jesus.

This is an analogy, and all analogies fail, but do you see who is in charge? Just because you apply for a job does not give you power or make you in charge, the employer ALWAYS determines whom he will hire.

As far as the OP, I do not think it fair to Calvinists, plenty of Calvinists are obviously very intelligent people, and Arminians or non-Cals often resent this.

I don't care either way, I don't put that much stock in theologians, they are men just like anyone else. Even intelligent men can be wrong, many intelligent men believe we came to exist through evolution, I believe that is total error. And many very simple people believe the scriptures that we were created by God. Having a PhD behind your name does not necessarily make you correct

#80 Winman, May 20, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.