1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Calvinists can't stand when smart people don't agree with them.

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, May 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I think you know, Skan, has much more character than that. Provocative perhaps, in order to stimulate discussion, I never see him being disrespectful though.

Everyone, at times, feels the desire to take their toys to another playground. Passions often run way to high, and all of us take ourselves way too serious some times.

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know no such thing & your cheer leading of the individual is very upsetting & that was a blatant mark of disrespect for which he personally should be ashamed. And by your acknowledging his tactics as provocative in order to stimulate conversation makes me wonder about your judgment.

You want conversation, talk about Christ & argue as to the best way to minister to the Poor, the downtrodden, the Widows & the Orphans. Im done here!

3. quantumfaith

Sorry you feel that way. Bye

4. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Wow, I never expected these types of reactions, but they kind of support the premise of the OP, don't they?

I've already admitted the OP wasn't worded the best, and I think 12strings is probably right to some degree regarding his point about neither side really liking having smart people disagree with us. I was merely pointing to the distain with which Calvinists tend to treat non-Calvinists, as if we just can't possibly think of God's greatness, beauty and glory like they can. (See Mont974x4's post as proof)

As Heir pointed out, Piper is insulting Non-Calvinists in a very bold and clear manner. And the blog that I referenced about Tozer which linked to Piper's article better represents the point I was attempting to make, but clearly some can't have a rational discussion about certain personal observations with a little give and take without taking things personally. So be it. This thread is pretty mild compared to many started by Calvinists here over the years so I'm not sure what the beef is all about...

...me thinketh thou protest too much. (maybe I hit a nerve?) :smilewinkgrin:

5. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

When we get to heaven there will be a large group of Calvinist there, also a large group of free willers but the biggest group will be the ones who don't know the difference.

6. quantumfaith

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    Oops sorry, that might be interpreted as "cheerleading". :)

7. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

[​IMG]

Precisely...:type:.....Much to the chagrin of many, not all. I can think of several Cals, many who haunt this board; who no more took it personally than the man in the moon. Most of them....didn't even post. Why? it didn't apply to them. Their reaction could probably be safely summed up as to have been ":rolleyes:" One or two...did respond, (12strings) but they didn't make the same types of posts as say Mont who has done a lovely job of supporting the premise of the OP.

If it pleases the court:
    Your Witness...

No one ever takes offense at suggestions or accusations that are so ridiculous and off the wall as to be laughable. Take a bow Skan...you have at least proved one thing....presumably, you're a smart guy yourself :thumbsup:
    But only because God has according the purposes of his perfect will Sovereignly decreed thus.

#107 HeirofSalvation, May 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2012
  8. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

John 3:17
    For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Acts 4:12
    Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.”

1 Timothy 2

Instructions on Worship

2 I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— 2 for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. 3 This is good, and pleases God our Savior, 4 who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. 5 For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus, 6 who gave himself as a ransom for all people. This has now been witnessed to at the proper time. 7 And for this purpose I was appointed a herald and an apostle—I am telling the truth, I am not lying —and a true and faithful teacher of the Gentiles.

Can we reconcile scripture to a point where our faith(noun) is our own and not from God?

Spurgeon really changed my perspective on Calvinism.

If we don't [acknowledge, believe in, or trust(verb)] in the grace of God that came to us through His Son Jesus Christ can we really say that we possess it?

Everyone does not deserve saving, but everyone needs it.

#108 psalms109:31, May 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2012
  9. mandym

mandym New Member

It is no worse than half the things calvies say on this board all the time. Of course of a clavie says it then it is justified.:rolleyes:

10. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I think Piper was dead on the money. He was not "insulting" non-calvinists. Only the most over-sensitive and touchy person would get that from Piper's statements. Piper did nothing more than state that investigating the other side of the issues, drove home his affirmation of the sovereignty of God even more.

Three things come to my mind when I read the title and OP of this thread:

#1 You need to grow up. Seriously. You cannot keep accusing 5 pointers of being obstinate and argumentative, when many of the arguments and obstinate silliness that breaks out on these threads, continually originates with you. You need to mature a little, and quit trying to affirm yourself by bashing the other side.

#2 This thread yet again confirms who it is that is continually causing problems and starting arguments. I am tired of hearing how Cals are always argumentative. I wonder how many of these types of threads they endured, before they finally could not take it anymore?

#3 You have no business being a moderator.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Unfortunately you are right...and those will be the ones with the least rewards, or who are there "by the skin of their teeth" :tear:

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yeah...because he came to Christ AS a calvinist :rolleyes:

Three things come to my mind when I read the title and OP of this thread:

Personal attack on a moderator.
    Ironic. I don't see you calling out your own for doing the same.

Personal attack #2. Apparently we know why you are not one.

13. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Yes, I expect so, and not a trace of the "Calvinist" beliefs can be found in the teachings of the earliest churches and the early fathers.

14. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Painting with a rather large brush there, aren't you? In doing so, you are leaving gaps and holes in your sketch. Or to be more accurate, what you post is just plain baloney and false.

15. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Why? Because someone disagrees with you and can back up those beliefs?

16. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Oh, please; stop the sanctimoniousness.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The OP brings up something I have noticed for quite a while...that "intellectuals" WILL eventually become calvinists, and those who are not just are not that intelligent or are too prideful to "get it". Surely you remember your second (or third, or fourth ;)) stint as a non-cal...and your dialogue with Luke about not being that smart, don't you? Does your return to calvinism for your second (or third...) time make you forget that?

18. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I agree with you 100% -- because you are 100% right. :)

19. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

...and predestined. :)

20. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

I am not attacking anyone. This whole thread is nothing but a personal attack. It is immature and silly.

And yes, as a matter of fact I HAVE reproved those on "my side" for doing the same thing. I have no problem with rigorous debate of the issue. But attacking someone who is simply asserting that reading the opposite side further solidified his own position, is just ridiculous and immature. We should cheer someone for such investigation, not chide them for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.