can A person be A "true Bible Scholar" W/o Greek/Hebrew?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by JesusFan, May 18, 2011.

1. glfredrick New Member

I'm sure it has just slipped your notice, but those words were written at a time when the NT was still in its developmental stage. Apollos needed to learn of Christ -- and he did. He could not have studied the Scriptures and discovered the fulfillment that Christ was for the OT until the advent of Christ.

Additionally, some biblical scholars believe Apollos went on to pen the book of Hebrews. Of course, we'll never know for sure until we know all things for sure, but there is a good case to be made for his authorship.

2. lastday New Member

Quote by Jim1999:
    "There are enough valid English translations for one to develop
    theology and biblical apprehension for preaching and teaching".

Years ago I read, in the New Jerusalem Bible, that the 7 last Plagues manifest God's
    ANGER and "exhaust" that ANGER. I wondered why almost all other translations state
    that these Plagues "complete God's WRATH". I began the search for an explanation.

I searched commentaries for six months and checked every translation of THUMOS in the NT to find out why the KJV never once translated this word as ANGER. It always
    translates THUMOS as WRATH, Indignation or Fierceness...never once as ANGER!

The KJV switches the translation of THUMOS and ORGAY so that THUMOS was called
    WRATH and ORGAY became ANGER...exactly the opposite of the meaning intended
    as in macro-thumos which means "long-suffering" or extended "PATIENCE"!!

This realization forces a turn-about translation of the 7 Last Plagues as being a
    "manifestation and exhaustion of Gods Patience" rather than the "completion of His Wrath". This makes the Plagues a part of the Great Tribulation which precedes the
    single Day of His Wrath!!!
    Mel Miller

3. percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But the Comforter, [which is] the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Maybe this was for the 12 only. If not I hope the Comforter read the original first or was he the author. I don't know.

4. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apparently you didn't read my article (not that you had to). I believe translation is entirely possible. If translation is entirely possible then getting truth from one language to another is possible. If we have a properly translated Bible, then we can read truth in that Bible and the Holy Spirit will teach us that truth, just as John 16:13 says, which you quoted.

But as I have said there are nuances that you must read the original to track down. Why is that hard to understand? And why cannot the Holy Spirit teach me when I read the Bible in the original languages?

Absolutely, the Holy Spirit was the Author (capital A). Read my previous post on inspiration.

5. percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you, That is the reason when I have posted and I think I have posted to you that I know no Greek, I am trying to find the truth of a passage.

Again thanks

6. TCGreek New Member

What does it mean to be a true Bible scholar? What are the criteria?

7. John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're welcome. I appreciate your good attitude. :thumbsup:

8. Tater77 New Member

A working knowledge yes. But there are tons of helps in the form of software, online resources and books (concordances and lexicons).

9. Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. The mark of Paul's Apostleship was his disciples, their faith and their practice.

Do we begin again to commend ourselves? or need we, as some others, epistles of commendation to you, or letters of commendation from you?

Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:

Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.
    No. Meat belongs to those whose consistent obedience has honed their senses.
    . . . strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.
    Can one be a true Bible scholar and not be an anthropologist, or physicist or be proficient in any other discipline?

Christ's commandment was, "Come unto Me, and learn of Me." The only knowledge we have of Christ is what is written in the law and the Gospels. And a faithful English translation is just as profitable as studying the copies written in the original languages.

And remember, that's the original languages, not the original manuscripts, which no longer exist.

Textual criticism, ancient languages, anthropology and just about any other discipline is profitable if one pursues them lawfully and with integrity, but they are not a prerequisite.