1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Can A person Keep the law and live? Have salvation thru the law itself?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Yeshua1, Jan 24, 2013.

1. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The condition has to be true and possible if it is to be met.
    Gill understood that too.
    Gill understood that it was impossible to meet the condition and therefore impossible to gain eternal life through works.
    This is something you won't admit.

It is also something Jesus said was impossible.

I have asked you this before, but I don't seem to get an answer (just like with 1Cor.13:1-3). BTW, the example of the passage in 1Cor.13 has to do with grammatical construction.

But please explain what Jesus meant here:
    Luke 17:10 So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.

2. Winman

Winman Active Member

And you wonder why I insult you? You refuse to admit when you have been shown wrong, even though I showed you from two scholars.

1 Cor 13:1-3 is utterly unrelated to the subject at hand, the truthfulness of Jesus's statement in Matt 19:17. It is nothing but a distraction on your part.

Luke 17:10 likewise is irrelevant and has nothing to do with Jesus's statement. You are grasping at straws.

Why mention these verses? Pull any verses out of the Bible you wish, you simply will not admit when you have been shown wrong.

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

Again, irrelevant. I bet I have said three or four times that no man has ever, or will ever perfectly keep the law.

Nevertheless, when Jesus said "If thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments" is a PERFECTLY TRUE STATEMENT.

None of your distractions can change that fact.

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The Bible does not contradict itself, but you are contradicting the teaching of the Bible, specifically the teaching of the words of our Savior. You are even making Christ contradict himself, the very thing that the Pharisees could not get him to do.

Explain Luke 17:10, and you will understand why?

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

Luke 17:10 is about humility, it is not even a salvation verse, it has nothing whatsoever to do with how a person obtains eternal life.

You don't get it, the wages of SIN is death. It is sin that causes a person to die. If a person never commits sin, they will not die. Simple.

Therefore, Jesus was answering truthfully when he said if you would enter life, keep the commandments. That is a perfectly true statement whether you are able to understand it or not.

I am not saying any person is saved by works. The Bible has concluded all under sin. For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God. Therefore a person must trust in Jesus to be saved from their SINS.

But if a person never commits sin they will inherit eternal life. That is what Jesus was saying, and this is perfectly true.

You believe whatever you want. I showed you both Albert Barnes and John Gill knew exactly what I am saying. I am not saying anything unorthodox or heretical, you simply do not get it.

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It has much to do with salvation. The context is the relationship of a master to his servant. God is our master; we are servants. He is our Creator, our Lord. We are created to serve Him. Even if we were to keep all the law perfectly we still would not be able to enter heaven. We would have simply been doing our duty. There is nothing special or noble in that. There is nothing in keeping the law that would merit one eternal life.
    Salvation is by grace through faith in Christ, not of works.
    In John 14:6 Jesus strongly stated that no one could come to the Father but by him. He is the only way; the truth and the life. The law is not the way. Even if one could keep all the law they could not enter heaven. The only way is through Christ.
    Christ does not contradict himself. Therefore it is your interpretation that is wrong. Salvation is through Christ alone.
    Not true. Salvation is not through works; but rather through Christ.

What does the Scripture say:
    Luke 17:10 So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.

Romans 11:6 And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
    9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
    The Bible is my authority, not other men.
    What you are saying is wrong; it is error, if not heresy.
    Salvation is through Christ; not by works.

7. Winman

Winman Active Member

Luke 10:17 DOES NOT deal with salvation, and I am prepared to show you that as well.

Adam Clarke

Now, I'm going to attempt to explain this to you, but I doubt you will understand this either. This passage is speaking of believers, not lost persons. It is saying that when they have done everything commanded them, they should consider themselves as unprofitable servants. This passage has nothing to do with salvation and is not dealing with that subject whatsoever. That is what Adam Clarke is pointing out.

One more time, it is SIN that causes death. If you obeyed God all the time, you would be an unprofitable servant, but you would not have done anything worthy of DEATH.

Only SIN causes DEATH. I can't make it any clearer than that.

You can do good things all you want. They will not profit God, but they will not cause DEATH. Only SIN causes DEATH.

That is why Jesus's statement is true, if you keep the commandments, you will not die.

Look, if you can't understand this simple concept, we need to just hang it up. A little child could easily understand this. I believe your problem is that you simply refuse to believe the truth. Jesus's statement was pure truth, you refuse to believe it.

Let's drop it.