Can An Unregenerate Man Repent?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by tyndale1946, Dec 12, 2020.

1. SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Total inability is a heresy

2. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You do not have to look hard to verse after verse teaching some people make the choice to seek God and His kingdom.

Luke 13:24
    “Strive to enter through the narrow door; for many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able.

3. SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    and "strive" in the Greek is stronger, "to endeavor with strenuous zeal, strife, to obtain something" (Thayer, Greek lexicon)

4. Sai Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You disagree because of your insistence on God having to be “fair” and “just” and for you, election of a few is somehow not “fair” and not “just” if God elected some from the masses of humanity and simply decided to pass over the majority. I totally disagree.

I have the proper attitude towards God in the electing. His work of election is the outworking of love and grace.

5. SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    UNBIBLICAL!

6. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    SBG, you are outright lying when you tell Reformed believers that their view is unbiblical. The vast number of passages in the Bible that Reformed believers provide to you is more than enough evidence to show you have lied.
    Reformed theology is established from the Bible, just as you attempt to establish your works salvation from verses you pluck in the Bible. The ultimate thing we all wrestle with is...which position does God support?
    My contention is that you provide little to no context for your verses and thus misunderstand the verses you use. Meanwhile, Reformed theology provides lengthy passages in the Bible as support. From that, the individual believer must decide which view God holds. Therefore, I find your view lacking in substance and incapable of having grace as the means of salvation. Because of your zero grace theology, I reject your position as false.

7. SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet more FALSE theology!

8. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL, I didn't even propose a theological stance in my previous post. I merely stated that you lied when you said reformed theology was unbiblical.
    It saddens me that you negate grace in your doctrine.

9. SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that you are a sad 10 year old kid, who is probably bullied at school, has no friends, and a real pain in the butt to your parents! as you don't seem old enough to understand what the Holy Bible really teaches!

10. SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus Christ says: "and that repentance for the forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in His Name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem" (Luke 24:47)

AustinC says: No!

Jesus Christ says: "Strain every nerve to force your way in through the narrow gate," He answered; "for multitudes, I tell you, will endeavour to find a way in and will not succeed"

AustinC says: No!

And then he tries to blame others for HIS false theology! :rolleyes::Frown

11. Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 1:32, Romans 3:10-18, John 3:19-20.
    John 6:44.
    John 6:64-65.
    I think that you probably ought to read these, my friend:

1 Thessalonians 5:22
    Matthew 7:12
    Philippians 1:27
    Luke 6:31
    Luke 10:27
    Titus 2:11-12.
    Hebrews 12:1
    Colossians 4:5-6
    1 Peter 2:12
    1 Peter 3:16
    Galatians 5:25
    Romans 12
    Galatians 5:19-21.

I wish you well, and may He bless you with much wisdom and patience as you post your replies to others.

12. SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    None of these Scriptures say anywhere that sinners are "unable" to call on the Lord for salvation. There is not a single verse in the Bible that says that God first has to "enable" the sinner, or "regenerate" their heart, and then they can call on Him? The much quoted passage from Ephesians 2 does not teach this as the "reformed" make it out to do. If, as the Bible says, that God Commands "all men everywhere to repent" (Acts 17:30), then you can be sure that God has also made sure that this "Command" is something that the human race of sinner can DO. Your theology is counter to what the Bible teaches!

13. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please do not waste our time posting your inventions as to my biblical view.

Did I say God could not choose those whose faith He credits as righteousness. Nope
    Did I say God's election for salvation through faith in the truth was not fair? Nope

I do not know what your attitude toward God is, I assume it is totally appropriate. Finding fault with others is a waste, and as a tool to bolster false assertions, a logical fallacy.

I have cited several verses which preclude all people being afflicted with total spiritual inability. The doctrine is clearly bogus.

14. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting irony.
    I have provided evidence to you that your view is legalistic and devoid of God's grace. You cannot accept this. So be it. You are accountable to God.

15. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You declare that God cannot choose anyone who has not yet exhibited righteous faith. You place limitations upon God by your poor interpretation of God's word. Thus you make salvation to be of man's initiation rather than God's initiation. Your view is that of the Judaizers and any child of God should call it anathema.

16. SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    waiting for your response to #50

17. SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    so do YOU with your nonsense of a "limited atonement"!

18. Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am so sick of posters who claim I said this or that, but do not provide the full quote.
    Did I say God cannot do something? Nope - so a falsehood.
    Did I say we have or exhibit righteous faith? Nope - so yet another falsehood
    Did I say man "initiates" salvation? Nope - so yet again another falsehood.

This is all they have folks, non-stop disinformation.

I did say some unregenerate people repent and believe.

19. SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    the reformers, as they call themselves, and more interested in their warped theology, and disragard to what the Bible actually Teaches!

20. AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sigh, we have addressed this on multiple occasions.

Luke 24:44-48
    Then he said to them, “These are my words that I spoke to you while I was still with you, that everything written about me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled.” Then he opened their minds to understand the Scriptures, and said to them, “Thus it is written, that the Christ should suffer and on the third day rise from the dead, and that repentance and forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem. You are witnesses of these things.

Who is it that will repent and be forgiven? Will the unregenerate person repent while being dead in their trespasses and sins?

John 10:3,11,14-16,25-28
    To him the gatekeeper opens. The sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.
    I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.
    I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd.
    Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father’s name bear witness about me, but you do not believe because you are not among my sheep. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.

Ephesians 2:1-10
    And you were dead in the trespasses and sins in which you once walked, following the course of this world, following the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work in the sons of disobedience— among whom we all once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind. But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved— and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

Again I ask:
    Who is it that will repent and be forgiven? Will the unregenerate person repent while being dead in their trespasses and sins?

Scripture interprets your verse for you. So, please, note that your assertion that we are unbiblical in our response is an overt lie from your pen.

Therefore, knowing the fear of the Lord, we persuade others. But what we are is known to God, and I hope it is known also to your conscience. We are not commending ourselves to you again but giving you cause to boast about us, so that you may be able to answer those who boast about outward appearance and not about what is in the heart. For if we are beside ourselves, it is for God; if we are in our right mind, it is for you. For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all, therefore all have died; and he died for all, that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised. From now on, therefore, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we once regarded Christ according to the flesh, we regard him thus no longer. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation.The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
    ~ 2 Corinthians 5:11-21

If you will not accept the fullness of God's word, my words will not convince you. I dust off my sandals and will not respond to you anymore in this thread.