1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can Non-Cals Explain the Sovereign Grace Of Almighty God?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by tyndale1946, Oct 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loDebar

loDebar Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    before, ascension before Sunday morning, while He was in the tomb.

6For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.

Probably after He presented Himself to God as the sacrifice.

2. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Abraham was in the upper compartment of Hades (Luke 16:23).

3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look it up.

4. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    if grace is soverreign then there can be no common grace.
    MB

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course not but in the ESV, which is considered a calvie translation, ( I use the ESV by the way) translates it before which is ridiculous. Before, and from say two entirely different things. If it is "from" then it rightly means that the names were written in the book of life from the beginning (Genesis) to now in other words all along the way as they were saved.

If it is before then it fits the calvie doctrine of their incorrect version of election and that is that our names were written before Genesis and before we were ever saved.

They cannot be and are not synonymous.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why or why not? Common grace is not sanctifying grace

Matthew 5
    44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
    45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Revelation 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

The word "written" in the text is in the perfect passive - γέγραπται

perfect passive indicative

A Manual Grammar of the Greek New Testament, Dana and Mantey, 1955. pg. 200.

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK?

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The book of life was written antecedent to the foundation of the world.

it does not actually support C or A but I was trying to show that the book of life is not being written as we go which seems (could be wrong) to be what you are saying. Is it?

Generally speaking :

C says names are written in the book by God's unconditional election.

A says names are written in the book by God's omniscient foreknowledge

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your interpretation of the perfect passive indicative is in conflict with "from". From cannot be translated "before" as those are two completely different ideas. Revelation is a look into the future. At the time of this books being opened it will have been completed. As for now the process is still in motion.

11. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the creation of the world...

Before the creation of the world...

Either word indicates an action that has already occurred. If our names were written before or from, it doesn't change the fact that election took place already, and is not an ongoing action.

12. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    if "from the foundation of the world" applies to the Lamb as it does in every usage, not applying to the "names ", then it is nothing about election

The expression is used 9 of 10 times without using names

ἀπό apó, apo'; a primary particle; "off," i.e. away (from something near), in various senses (of place, time, or relation; literal or figurative):—(X here-)after, ago, at, because of, before, by (the space of), for(-th), from, in, (out) of, off, (up-)on(-ce), since, with.

13. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  14. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look up the Greek word. Posting a bunch of verses in English is not looking up the Greek word.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Rockson

Rockson Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I don't have expertise in the Greek but seek to do my best in checking out things.

You say "before" is also acceptable to translate from ἀπὸ. I see it as an option with Strong's but it's down on the list....and as you say it's more common to translate it "from".

Things is though I don't see it in any other verse were ἀπὸ is translated as "before" When it comes to something that takes place "before" as in ahead of another I see the greek word πρίν used.

Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before (πρίν) they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost. Matt 1:18

So question....can you give us an example where ἀπὸ is used by the NT writers to speak of as we say, something that takes place before? Not saying they're not there....but how about you show us.

16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is one way of looking at it.

17. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist
    apo and pro are the two words

ἀπό apó, apo'; a primary particle; "off," i.e. away (from something near), in various senses (of place, time, or relation; literal or figurative):—(X here-)after, ago, at, because of, before, by (the space of), for(-th), from, in, (out) of, off, (up-)on(-ce), since, with.

πρό pró, pro; a primary preposition; "fore", i.e. in front of, prior (figuratively, superior) to:—above, ago, before, or ever.

They both have meanings other than what was translated

18. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What was done on the cross was finished on the cross (John 19:28). The ascension was and is that one time event until the second coming (Hebrews 9:12, 24, 28).

19. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you can't? The point was those verses use the same three Greek words. One of the three words were a different two Greek words. I do not have time even for this as of this moment.

20. Rockson

Rockson Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well that's the greek word πρό and not ἀπὸ same as for Mt 6:8, Mt 8:29, Mt 24: 38 . So where would ἀπὸ be used as in something before in the scriptures.

Now look I admit I don't know applications of Greek and usage....but where am I missing it? If Rev 13:8 meant (before πρό) rather than from...then why didn't it use πρό?? It used ἀπὸ meaning from.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.