1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can Preterists Even BEGIN To Make Their Case?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by robycop3, Oct 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    genus - Wiktionary
    genus - Wiktionary
    Borrowed from Latin genus (“birth, origin, a race, sort, kind”) from the root gen- in Latin gignere, Old Latin gegnere (“to beget, produce”).

2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The etymology from the link you supplied is interesting.

Did I read correctly that the entomology shows the word was used as both race and station as the class of a soldier in 25 BC?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Matthew Poole sums this up nicely

5. The Ninevites, though upon the preaching of Jonah they made a show of repentance, yet returning to their former sins were soon after destroyed; so were the Jews within forty years after Christ’s ascension.

That was a "sign to their own desire" the parallel is above and says except the sign of Jonah. They seen all the signs they needed to. The ressurection being the greatest and still did not believe so

Matthew 28:38 look your house is left to you desolate. When did this happen again? Ad 70 that same Generation.

If you translate genea race here then your saying the Jewish race will never get a sign?

The next verse Matthew 9:1 And he said to them, “Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see that the kingdom of God has come with power.

So Matthew 8:38 and Matthew 9:1 are talking about two different events 2000 plus years apart?

I still have not seen clear evidence to genea referring to race.

• Like Like x 1
  4. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, you are without excuse.

Here it is again.

The point being that YOU desire an EXCLUSIVE definition that will fit your scheme.

The word ALSO includes OTHER just as valid definitions so you cannot claim exclusionary use.

The word can and does apply to race, family stock...

It is NOT exclusive to a certain set of years

Your view fails by extorting the facts of Scripture into some mold that denies the vast prophetic statements. In particular the last 3 chapters of Revelation.

The NAS New Testament Greek Lexicon
    Strong's Number:
    1074 Browse Lexicon
    Original Word
    Word Origin
    genea from (a presumed derivative of) (1085)
    Transliterated Word TDNT Entry
    Genea 1:662,114
    Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
    ghen-eh-ah' Noun Feminine
    Definition
    1. fathered, birth, nativity
    2. that which has been begotten, men of the same stock, a family
      1. the several ranks of natural descent, the successive members of a genealogy
      2. metaph. a group of men very like each other in endowments, pursuits, character
        1. esp. in a bad sense, a perverse nation
    3. the whole multitude of men living at the same time
    4. an age (i.e. the time ordinarily occupied be each successive generation), a space of 30 - 33 years
    Taken from: Genea - New Testament Greek Lexicon - New American Standard

5. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another definition:
    Genea - Wikipedia

Again another:
    Dictionary:
    γενεά, -ᾶς, ἡ
    Greek transliteration:
    genea
    Simplified transliteration:
    genea
    Numbers
    Strong's number:
    GK Number:
    Statistics
    Frequency in New Testament:
    Morphology of Biblical Greek Tag:
    n-1a
    Gloss:
    generation, one's own kind or race, descendant; fig., age, period of time (as in to all generations)
    Definition:
    pr. birth; hence, progeny; a generation of mankind, Mt. 11:16; 23:36, et al.; a generation, a step in a genealogy, Mt. 1:17; a generation, an interval of time, an age; in NT course of life, in respect of its events, interests, or character, Lk. 16:8; Acts 13:36
    Taken from:γενεά | billmounce.com

6. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And here we are again!

I am asking for one verse that it clearly can not mean the current generation and must be used as race. I am not arguing the lexicon meaning. I am arguing the fact that in the gospel it's used as a literal present generation.

I was carrying around a file to sharpen the knife.

Are you going to argue with me that because file can mean

Folder or box for holding loose papers that are typically arranged in a particular order for easy reference.

That I am going to sharpen a knife with a folder?

I'm not asking the definition. I'm asking where it is used as race and not the current generation.

7. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Alright so change generation to race and give me the verse with "race" in it's place besides Matthew 24.

8. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No? Then how many days did it take God to create the universe and everything in it, do you take them as literal days? And why if he does not operate on them.

9. prophecy70

prophecy70 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The link says

Genea (derived from the Greek word γενεά, meaning "descent") is a genus of truffle-like fungi in the family Pyronemataceae. There are about 32 species in the genus that occur in North America and Europe.[2] The genus was circumscribed by Italian mycologist Carlo Vittadini in 1831.[3]

So now it's fungus that will not pass until all them things happen?
    I

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a long article - referring to genus, not genea.
    John doesn't allow his students to quote Wiki - so we too will reject your contribution.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You seem to have learnt the principles of reasoning from Lewis Carroll - Rev. Charles Dodgson.

John insists with his students that they study the context when considering the meaning. That of course is necessary as we engage in a serious theological discussion.

Your own inferences of the consequences of our belief that generally the translators are correct in translating genea as generation represent a reducto ad absurdum. But I will consider them - as prophecy70 already has.

Read the context:
    38 Then some of the scribes and Pharisees answered, saying, “Teacher, we want to see a sign from You.”

39 But He answered and said to them, “An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, and no sign will be given to it except the sign of the prophet Jonah.40 For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. 41 The men of Nineveh will rise up in the judgment with this generation and condemn it, because they repented at the preaching of Jonah; and indeed a greater than Jonah is here. 42 The queen of the South will rise up in the judgment with this generation and condemn it, for she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and indeed a greater than Solomon is here.

We need to ask the questions:
    Who came to Jesus demanding a sign?
    Who is Jesus talking to?
    Whose preaching did Nineveh hear & respond to?
    Whose wisdom did the queen come to hear?
    Who is Jesus talking about when he speaks of one greater than Jonah, greater than Solomon?
    What was the sign of Jonah & how did Jesus demonstrate that sign?
    Who comprises this generation in context?
    Was the entire Israelite race evil & adulterous?
    What about the prophets & history writers & the vast number of the descendants of Abraham who were owned by God as my people?

12. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly.

The Bible is a book of ABSOLUTES, pillars of truth that cannot be moved by the "waves" and "tsunamis" of man-made ideas & doctrines. when Jesus says in Scripture, "I am the way", that's an absolute, unalterable truth.

Most symbolism in Scripture is explained in further passages, such as that in Revelation of the 7 stars or the beast ridden by the woman. Also, we have the hindsight of all Scripture to guide us in our overview.

And what symbolism there is, especially in Jesus' parables, ALWAYS represents something or someone literal.

13. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Example, please?

Not to mention Jesus' eschatological prophecies have NOT yet been fulfilled.

14. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad to see you know that!

History has proven that genea means "people' or "race' in this case.

Further study of WHAT? The writings of Preston, Gentry, etc? History shows this event has NOT yet occurred, as you admitted above.

But you haven't "corrected" HISTORY/REALITY.

How could he? EASILY! GOD ID GOD! He can do as He chooses. he's let many other peoples live in non-belief longer than He has the Jews.

However, there are some Christians among the Jews, and among almost every other people on earth.

Remember, Jesus was a Jew as a man, & was sent to the Jews first, and is the Messiah whom the Jews have awaited since they've existed. Christianity was made available to the Jews first. But most Jews rejected Him & the Gospel, so, as paul said, "Look! We turn to the gentiles!"

15. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sir, 'tis YOU who needs to prove your case.

My case is made by the simple FACT that the prophesied eschatological events haven't yet occurred. That's the ONLY thing needed to make your case fail.

The common pret duck/dodge that the prophecies are symbolic is false, and can't be proven otherwise.

Proof? EASY!

Those prophecies that HAVE cometa pass have done so LITERALLY. The empires revealed to Daniel came & went just as he wrote, so far. The history of the Ptolemaic & Seleucid kingdoms has literally cometa pass so far. Jerusalem & the temple were destroyed as Jesus said. So, there's simply no basis for reducing the accompanying prophecies to "figurative/symbolic" status.

16. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    History PROVES the prophesied eschatological events didn't occur during that generation. But, as Jesus' words are 100% true, we must look to another meaning of genea.

17. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But you denied their REAL meaning.

As I, and others, have said several times, the ONLY proof that your 'take' on genea is correct would be that the prophesied events actually occurred in that generation then alive. And such proof simply doesn't exist!

18. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see we're still receiving the same ole set of excuses from the preterists:

1.) "The verses are figurative/symbolic."

2.) " Genea in those verses means only the generation then living."

3.) "The fulfillment of the prophecies is not as non-preterists imagine them."

Preterists, you just don't wanna accept the FACT that the prophesied eschatological events are literal, and they haven't yet occurred! You're simply kidding yourselves by believing the works of Alcazar, Preston, Gentry, Miano, etc. over history/reality.

Alcazar refined a vague set of false beliefs & ideas into a readable, more-believable form, with a good deal of fiction added, to protect the pope from being labeled the "beast/antichrist". (Another false doctrine in itself.) Alcazar's work was the basis for subsequent authors' works, including those of Gentry, Preston, Miano, Sproul, etc. in this day. ( Mike Miano is pastor of Blue Point Baptist Church, NY.)

I hope the preterists reading this will ask themselves, "Why should I believe the pret doctrine when there's no proof it's true, nothing in history even remotely resembling the eschatological events Jesus predicted?"

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Against my better judgment, Robycop, I am going to answer your question, even though it will do no good. First your either/or question is pointless since you were given Biblical evidence - by me and others - and it didn't show up on your radar. So why write more?

In a nutshell, the core of your misunderstanding is that you think that a lack of visible evidences undermines our spiritual position. It doesn't. The Jews of the 1st century, also, kept looking for the Messiah who would accommodate to their worldly conceptions of Himself and His kingdom. Even the Disciples had to radically change their thinking in order to perceive Christ's message.

The "proof" you are looking for will never come.
    Just like the earthly "messiah" the Jews were looking for never came.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The wicked and adulterous people (all those descended from a common ancestor).

Yes. "ALL we like sheep have gone astray and turned, every one, to his own way."

See above. Sinless perfection (in this life) is a damnable heresy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.