1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Can Satan mimic mythical creatures?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, May 27, 2012.

1. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

[​IMG]

You nailed it!

It took me a long time to learn that Satan cannot create, he can only destroy. He can certainly mimic, however.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not sure I completely agree. My wife and I are created "things"...and we created 3 other "things" (sounds like Cat-in-the-hat) :) Didn't satan also create the calamities that struck Job with God's permission?

3. mandym

mandym New Member

That is not anywhere near the same as creating mythological creatures.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

True, but if it can be shown he can create anything the idea becomes plausible.

5. mandym

mandym New Member

There is no evidence it has ever happened. We would not accept a new doctrine that cannot be verified in scripture. We should not accept this for the same reason.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

He turned a staff into a snake (and the rest of the duplicate plagues), he created a storm that killed job's children, he created boils on Job's skin, not sure it is a "new" doctrine as much as it is going off of what we do know from Scripture.

7. mandym

mandym New Member

Satan using mythological creatures has no presidence in scripture and would be a new doctrine.

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Nothing says an example must be in Scripture to be valid. There is no reason Satan could not mimic mythical creatures. There is also no example is Scripture of someone driving drunk and killing another person. Bet it is still wrong.

#28 saturneptune, May 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2012
  9. mandym

mandym New Member

So what other doctrines would you allow that are not found in scripture? This is no different.

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

It is not a doctrine. It is the ability to perform an act.

11. mandym

mandym New Member

Not to be argumentative but do you know the meaning of "doctrine"? it is any idea or principle that is being taught.

However, doctrine or not if it is not taught in scripture then why would we hold to it? This idea that Satan can and does create and use mythological creatures cannot be exegeted from scripture.

12. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Actually, to "create" means to make something out of NOTHING. No one but God can do that. What humans do is to use what God has given us to make "not create" more--whether children or possessions.

I cannot create a tree, but I can plant a seed that God created and grow one. Parents-to-be use what God has given them to make babies, but that is not creating--just reproducing.

Satan did turn the staffs of false prophets into snakes, and Moses' staff/snake ate them. Don't underestimate Satan and what he can do; that's how people become deceived by him--by underestimating him. He's not all-powerful, all-knowing, all-wise, or capable of being everywhere at once, but he can mimic God in many ways and uses those ways to deceive people.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

,cre·ate - /krēˈāt/
    Verb:
    1. Bring (something) into existence
    2. Cause (something) to happen as a result of one's
    actions,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not sure why my follow up comments were replaced by commas...but I don't see ex nihlo being a requirement in creating.

15. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Devil is a liar and a deceiver, is he not? As such, he doesn't need to create but make us believe that the thing exists. I see it as being similar to someone running a ponzi scheme. The wealth isn't really there, but as long as people believe it is, they will act accordingly.

16. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I think Arbo has hit on it correctly.

Satan seeks to mimic the power of God in order to decieve as many as possible away from the true power. And the best lie as we all know is the one closest to the truth. Truth here to be defined as what humans hold to be truth/reality.

The workman in this case, believed fully in the possibility of mermaids. How easy was it for Satan to work a lie that simply underscored what the poor men already believed was possible?

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not sure it is an "either / or" proposition. Did Pharaoh's sorcerers really turn their staffs into snakes, or was it merely an illusion? We do know that the storm that killed Job's kids was real and not an illusion.

18. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Neither do I. The best lies are built on truth and mixed with fact.

Re: staffs to snakes- Without looking it up, if I remember correctly they were eaten by Moses' and Aaron's. This tells me they were real and not illusory.

#38 Arbo, May 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 30, 2012
  19. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    satan became a talking snake, and he also could turn sticks into snakes!

Think he has and can work with matter/energy, but cannot create it from scratch!

20. mandym

mandym New Member

And my point still stands.