Can you be saved and not know it?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Lacy Evans, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Salamander New Member

I don't just believe it anymore. Since talking with you, I know I am saved even more than before.

I know I am saved because Jesus knows me and knows I am saved, why don't you know you're saved?

2. Brother Bob New Member

I never did say I didn't know it.

So, how do you know that Jesus knows you are saved, do you believe Jesus knows you are saved?

3. Salamander New Member

I know I have the Word of God, why is it you don't believe your Bible?

The Word of God declares what I know.

The Lord says He knows I'm saved, you attempt to overthrow others faith. You will answer for that at either the Judgment Seat of Christ or at the Great White Throne, but you will answer for it and pay dearly.

I'm sorry, but it appears you have definite issues with articulation: from both perspectives.

4. Brother Bob New Member

What a foolish statement. IMO
    It just amazes me that you know but don't believe you know, amazing.

5. saturneptune New Member

Brother Bob,
    Where do you get these people from to debate with? This sounds like I voted for the war before I voted against it. You know what it reminds me of, when I was growing up, the little boy sitting with a flower pulling off the petals and saying she loves me she loves me not. This guy is doing the same thing saying He saved me, He saved me not.

Full moon soon I hear.

6. Brother Bob New Member

Yea, today first day of spring I think.

7. Salamander New Member

2Ti 1:12For the which cause I also suffer these things: nevertheless I am not ashamed: for I know whom I have believed, and am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day.2Ti 1:13Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.2Ti 1:14That good thing which was committed unto thee keep by the Holy Ghost which dwelleth in us.

If you'll notice, it is no longer that I just believe, but in Whom I have believed, so this one thing I know.

I know I am saved. i don't just believe it, I KNOW it.

Why don't you know you're saved is the question?

You don't believe God?

8. StraightAndNarrow Active Member

So you don't support Strong's. Is that supposed to make me tremble with your theological powers? As far as never calling anyone a heretic you're splitting hairs.

"One has to say that God sinned, to hold your view. And it is purely and simply heresy to accuse God of that, IMO."

So, in other words I can say that in order holding your view is "purely and simply heresy." But hey, I've never called YOU a heretic have I?

9. Salamander New Member

I suppose they'll be coming for the both of you soon.

I know what I believe. Bob thinks he knows what I believe.

I know what I know. Bob and you think I only believe I know.

The Lord knows that I know I am saved.

Do I believe I AM SAVED? I know I am saved. The Bible teaches all who believe they can know they are saved.

I am not arguing with Bob or you. I am concurring with the Lord. Yall are arguing with the knowledge of the Lord.

But what else could anyone expect [Removed Personal Attack]?

The conversation just came to a sudden halt. I thought I was dealing with the unlearned, but I now KNOW I have been confronting apostacy all along.

Good day it will be when you two can also KNOW you're saved and not just believe you are without any real proof.

I rest my case solely upon the Holy Ghost and the Inspired, Inerrant, Infallible, Word of God.

Forgive me, Lord, for wasting redeemable time.

10. Christlifter New Member

Oh Brother

I have read the enitirety of this post, and it seems to be a big fat waste of time.

:jesus: Saves!:laugh::thumbs: You would know it. If you doubt it, check the unconfessed sin or false doctrine in your life, or if you have been shown to be lost by God, to be saved for real. THE END.

Knowing and believing are two different things. It's the difference between a bare mental assent to facts (about Christ), and actual trust (in Christ). Look up in the Strongs, the difference in verses between knowing and believing. The difference between the two, is the saved person is believing in the Gospel, and Trusting Christ follows if the individual sinner was convicted by the Holy Spirit that they were a lost sinner, on the way to Hell. (whether it takes 30 seconds or 30 years),That is Repentance and Faith. Afterwards the Holy Spirit indwells the heart of that individual, and they no longer practice the sinful lifestyle they did before. That doesn't mean they are sinless but they "sin-less", than they used too, as a general rule.

If nothing happened at all, or minimal "change", then all that is there is a "dead" or inactive "faith". You have to be lost, before you can get saved. The Book of John says the Holy Spirit convicts all sinners in some degree of sin and God's reality, in their conscience, and by the Creation. If they say no to that, well, then, that's their choice. If they choose to hold onto a "sinners prayer", false supernatural expereince, baptims or "good works" for proof and/or evidence, from when they were little (or big) even though God is convicting them, well, that is too.
    (Sorry Brother Bob Im not a predestinationist!)

I won't be back!

:BangHead: <-----the point of this thread.

11. saturneptune New Member

You and the other person are doing nothing but playing word games. It has nothing to do with the Gospel, salvation, or faith in Jesus Christ.

12. Brother Bob New Member

[Removed Quoted Personal Attack]
    Back to the name calling, but what can you expect from a knowing Christian who does not believe he knows.

You have to "believe" in Christ to be saved, but Salamander knows but does not believe, I think that is what he said. IMO :)

As for me and my house, "we believe" and we will serve the Lord our Savour.

Now that is a work of art. What I been trying to get him to say all along.:)

13. EdSutton New Member

"Seems clear enough to me, Boss!" Language Cop

"Thanks, LC."

In Jo. 6:37 Jesus said He wouldn't kick 'em out.

In Jo. 6:39 He said He wouldn't lose anything.

In Jo. 6:40, he said that all who see the Son have everlasting life, and He will raise him up at the 'last day'.

In Jo. 10:28 He says they shall never perish, the strongest negative, in Greek, BTW, with the force of "never, no never perish." He also says not "anyone" should snatch them from His hand.

In Jo. 10:29, He says no one can snatch them from His Father's hand.

In Ro. 3:3, Paul says our unbelief does not 'trump' God's faithfulness.

In II Tim. 2:11, Paul says that we who died with Him shall live with Him.

In verse 12a says if we endure, we shall reign with Him. (Note it does not say, if we don't endure, we won't be saved., but suggests we may not 'reign' if we don't endure.)

Verse 12b has the definite warning, that He will deny us, if we deny Him. Again, what it does not say is that one who 'denies' Him is not saved to begin with.

And in fact, in verse 13, the statement is made that even if we are faithless, He remains faithful, because he cannot deny Himself. His immutability is what this is based on, not ours, because we are not immutable.

Just as the LORD God made the covenant with Abraham alone, and not with Abraham, for He had caused Abraham to be asleep when he covenanted with Himself, and "passed between the pieces", alone, signifying that the covenant would be based on His faithfulness, and His alone. (Gen. 15:17-18), and "because He could swear by no one greater, He swore by Himself (Heb. 6:13), He does the same by us. His faithfulness is so great that -
    He is absolutely immutable, and that is where I rest, and that is why I know that I know because I believed, and not merely believe that I know I am saved, and eternally secure, just as I Jo. 5:9-13 tells us we can be.
    :thumbsup:

Ed

14. Brother Bob New Member

Mat 10:33But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

15. EdSutton New Member

I really prefer not to have to defend myself, but since I see some points that are clearly misleading, I shall go over this point by point. This might get the thread closed, but it will just have to be that way, if it occurs.

I never said anythng about whether or not I "support Strong's". In fact I have worn one completely out, to the point that it is literally falling apart, and am about to have to start on another. But I do not accept Strong's as infallible or inerrant, any more than I accept any Bible dictionary, Reference Bible (apart from the text, itself), theology, or any other Bible commentary, inspirational book or Bible reference work as inerrant. I merely did not cite it and do not agree with Him, in this point of question.

Next, I never claimed any "theological powers" in any form, whatsoever. But a nice ad hoc. :rolleyes:

Next, if you feel I am "calling anyone a (sic) heretic", hence "splitting hairs", I apologize for the perception, even though it is something I did not actually say.

Next, as to my quote, please put it in the context. The question you originally asked was
    And since you have more than once contended that to repent does mean "to repent of your sins" (And I disagreed this interpretation is required by the words, and have mentioned several times that the phrase "repent of/from (your) sins" is never to be found in Scripture.), I responded with my own question, which I believe is a fair question. That question is and was, at least in essence" What sins are you saying God either repented of or did not repent of, since God is said to have repented or not repented at least 29 times in the OT, and once in the NT? That question still stands unanswered, BTW, and FTR, by either you or anyone else who hold that position. And I did make , and fully admit i made the statement that " "One has to say that God sinned, to hold your view. And it is purely and simply heresy to accuse God of that, IMO." " I added that I was not willing to make the charge that God actually "repented of sin" against an Holy God, by any stretch. Are you? What would you call that charge? I, again fully admit, I suggested that that is heresy, to even suggest that. Would you agree to that? Just wonderin'!

If you believe that the view(s) I hold and present here is/are heresy, I guess you can make that charge, if you wish. I would like to see some Scripture, that makes the statements, though. Is that a fair request?

No, you (nor anyone else on the BB, if my memory serves) have not 'called me an heretic', as best as I can remember. However, some of those who hold some similar positions of so-called "free grace", have been so designated, albeit not by you, I do not think.

Wyclif, Huss, Tyndale, Jeanne d' Arc, Staupitz, Luther, Melanchthon, Calvin, Servetus, Arminius, the 'Pilgrims', the Waldenses, and Baptists, in general, to name a few, have been called 'heretics' over the centuries. So I guess if I were called an heretic, I'd be in some fairly good company.

But please, just don't group me with Marcion, the Heretic, and/or Julian, the Apostate! :laugh:

Ed

16. Salamander New Member

[Removed Discussion of Quoted Personal Attack]

This isn't the first time you've concocted the very same lie.

First a man believes unto righteousness, then with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. A man must first know what he confesses else he is not sure of what he says, but only believes it.

Jesus very well may be your "savour" but He is my Saviour!

I have repeatedly said the same thing. I'm glad you're happy, now, get back in your hole.

17. Salamander New Member

BTW, Bob, do you believe I Peter 1:5 or do you know it's true?

18. EdSutton New Member

Heh! Heh!

ed

19. Brother Bob New Member

So, are you British?

I KNOW, but I don't believe, so how would you know what you said. Are you sure you Know, being you don't believe you know?

I have faith, you bypass it or at least you think you do, but do you know whether you do, or is that what you believe, or don't you believe, you know you have faith.

20. Brother Bob New Member

Ed; Heh! Heh! He is Delirious!