1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Can you spot the Trinity?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 1689Dave, Dec 1, 2021.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is the Father and Holy Spirit also in the Godhead?

#21 Yeshua1, Dec 2, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
  2. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Creeds and Confessions not inspired!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is indeed!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its either Oneness or Modualism heresy!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NONE here denying jesus is God, but that he is the ONLY person called God!

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is the doctrine as per TD jakes or Oneness Pentacostals!

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We can, but not your understanding of it!

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Father also called Jesus God in Hebrews 1!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NONE here are saying that, but how you view God is heresy!

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How you are stating trinity is either Oneness or Modualism!

11. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    To me, it fits perfectly:

" Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.
    By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
    For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.
    For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.
    Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?
    This is he that came by water and blood, [even] Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.
    For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
    And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.
    If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son.
    He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.
    And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.
    He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.
    These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God."
    ( 1 John 5:1-13, AV, verse numbers removed ).

It tells me that there are Three that bear record in Heaven, and three that bear witness in earth.
    Focusing in on the 3 that bear record in Heaven, I clearly see that the Father is mentioned, then the Word ( Jesus Christ, the word made flesh from John 1:14 ), then the Holy Ghost.

Putting that together with other statements that God's word makes,
    I clearly see the Godhead from Romans 1:18-20 is declared, and Matthew 28:19 is also unmistakably speaking of the same:

" Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: "

I'm not sure how anyone can miss it...
    But, I also recognize that you are free to disagree with me as you see fit.

May God bless you, sir. :)

12. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see that Jesus Christ, Emmanuel / Immanuel or "God is with us" is not the name of the Father, nor is it the name of the Holy Ghost, my friend.
    They are separate-yet-equal, and They are God.

Jesus Christ is God in-carnate ( man ), come in the flesh.
    The Father remained in Heaven when the Lord Jesus came the first time, and the Holy Spirit came and went as the Godhead willed.

13. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    so you believe that 1 John 5:7, as in the KJV is part of the original Epistle of John, even though it is not in any Greek manuscript for the first 14-15 centuries, and omitted in almost every English Version post KJV?

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are there 3 Persons called God then, or is Jesus all 3 named there Himself?

15. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The way I understand the Scriptures,
    the Lord is God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit...
    Three distinct Persons all agreeing in one.

Not "Modalism", but the Godhead, Dave.

Jesus Christ is Jesus Christ,
    the Father is the Father,
    and the Holy Spirit is the Holy Spirit.

Jesus Christ sits at the right hand of the Father making intercession for His people, just as the Scriptures declare...
    Until He comes again.

All believers have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, just as the Scriptures declare.

God the Father reigns in Heaven, sent the Lord Jesus to atone for the sins of His people, and sits over the circle of the earth, just as the Bible says.

#35 Dave G, Dec 2, 2021
  16. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one on Earth hears "in heaven." But God Himself is the greater witness, Romans 8:16 [1 John 5:9-12].

17. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes I do, and I do so unreservedly and with full conviction...
    and respectfully, nothing that anyone can tell me will ever convince me that those are not God's words, inspired by Him and which the apostle John wrote under that same inspiration.

Here they are in English, Spanish, French, German and Italian for comparison ( and for those who read those languages ), my friend:

" For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one." ( 1 John 5:7, KJV ).
    " For there are three that bear witness in heaven: the Father, the Word, and the Holy Spirit; and these three are one." ( 1 John 5:7, NKJV ) .

" Porque tres son los que dan testimonio en el cielo, el Padre, el Verbo, y el Espíritu Santo: y estos tres son uno." ( 1 John 5:7, RVA ).

" Car il y en a trois dans le Ciel qui rendent témoignage, le Père, la Parole, et le Saint-Esprit; et ces trois-là ne sont qu'un." ( 1 John 5:7, Martin 1744 ).
    " Car ils sont trois qui rendent témoignage dans le ciel : le Père, le Verbe et l’Esprit-Saint ; et ces trois sont une seule chose." ( 1 John 5:7, Louis Segond 1905 ).

" Denn drei sind, die da zeugen im Himmel: der Vater, das Wort und der Heilige Geist; und diese drei sind eins." ( 1 John 5:7 German Modernized )

"Perciocchè tre son quelli che testimoniano nel cielo: il Padre, e la Parola, e lo Spirito Santo; e questi tre sono una stessa cosa." ( 1 John 5:7, Giovanni Diodati 1649 ).

" οτι τρεις εισιν οι μαρτυρουντες εν τω ουρανω ο πατηρ ο λογος και το αγιον πνευμα και ουτοι οι τρεις εν εισιν" <----- That is God's word.

Interlinear Bible: 1 John 5:7 - Textus Receptus Bibles

To me, the words, when carefully examined, clearly describe the "Trinity" in no uncertain terms;
    I've also always known that they were God's words, and I have no doubt in my mind that they are written in Heaven the same way.

Good evening to you, sir.:)

#37 Dave G, Dec 2, 2021
  18. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I asked because the majority here on BB do not accept verse 7 as genuine. I for one most certainly believe that the Words are part of the original Letter of John. And did a thread about this

The Holy Trinity in 1 John 5:7

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it were original ". . . For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. . . ." The only ones who would have that witness would be solely in heaven. For what? God and His angels do not need it. Man does.
    Philosophical and Biblical Trinity of God.

#39 37818, Dec 2, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 John 5:7
    For there are three that bear record in heaven ...

It is never quoted by the Greek fathers in their controversies on the doctrine of the Trinity - a passage which would be so much in point, and which could not have failed to be quoted if it were genuine; and it is not referred to by the Latin fathers until the time of Vigilius, at the end of the 5th century. If the passage were believed to be genuine - nay, if it were known at all to be in existence, and to have any probability in its favor - it is incredible that in all the controversies which occurred in regard to the divine nature, and in all the efforts to define the doctrine of the Trinity, this passage should never have been referred to. But it never was; for it must be plain to anyone who examines the subject with an unbiassed mind, that the passages which are relied on to prove that it was quoted by Athanasius, Cyprian, Augustin, etc., (Wetstein, II., p. 725) are not taken from this place, and are not such as they would have made if they had been acquainted with this passage, and had designed to quote Barnes