Casual approaches to worship

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by CarolinaBaptist, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Brice New Member

:D

2. Filmproducer Guest

My shoelaces are purple. I wonder what that says about me and my worship?

3. I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Ummmm. A little 'off color' maybe? :eek:

4. Bro Tony New Member

Or you are recognizing the King-ship of Jesus. Purple is a royal color.

Bro Tony

5. Ransom Active Member

Purple is a royal color.

It's true. Just ask Prince!

6. Rachel New Member

7. mnw New Member

Velcro is king

8. I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Would that be white, black, or brown velcro?

9. Salamander New Member

I find that your opinion is neither subjective, nor godly. Liberal? Yes.

You actually subscribe to modernism so "earnestly"

Casual approaches to worship are just that, casual, not entailing the need for edification/ building up.

Look up the verses with these two words as a search: "modest" and "edify". There you will find your scriptural support.

Casual/modest are NOT synonyms.

[ February 02, 2006, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: blackbird ]

10. Salamander New Member

And I'm sure you've never seen a tight fitting, low cut dress. :rolleyes: </font>[/QUOTE]Are you saying that it is modest?????????

11. Salamander New Member

But then you would have a judgemental LOST world seeing a casual approach to worship then wouldn't you?

I believe there is such a total disregard for holy living in this day it actually drives more away from worship because of its being so closely linked to the world that no one can tell the difference anymore: i.e., the work of a serpent, no doubt. :(

12. Salamander New Member

Oh, I almost forgot, and this is probably
    "another thread" :rolleyes: , but when one enters the church, aren't they entering a place of Sanctity? I mean, isn't the church to be set apart from the world in such a way that any one entering takes an instant notice of things "looking" peculiarly different and opposed to the outside world? Uh-hum!

I dress for work casually, it helps me get the job done, but when I take into consideration of the church, well, I have more respect for God's House than I do for the "arena" of the workplace.

All a casual approach to worship does is tear down the sanctity of the House of God.

One thing for certain, the mockery will continue by those who feel they have God in their little box.

13. PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Salamander, now no fair, you only get one vote

And as you can clearly see the I's have it.

So...

14. Johnv New Member

Then kindly tell me which of my casual attire, my wife's casual attire, or my children's casual attire, qualifies as immodest, and why. If you are unable to do so, you then prove yourself a pharisee and unrighteous judge.

And, again, kindly tell me which of my casual attire, my wife's casual attire, or my children's casual attire, qualifies as immodest or unedifying, and why. If you are unable to do so, you then prove yourself a pharisee and unrighteous judge.

In other words, you can't find any scriptural support.

[ February 02, 2006, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: blackbird ]

15. rbell Active Member

Point of correction, Salamander. One cannot enter "the church," but only the building in which "the church" worships. The people of God are the church.

One of my best friends is a stockbroker. They are in coats and ties. He has told me that his workplace is as godless as any he has worked in. Yet they "look like" the church you describe--coats and ties!

"Set apart" means "reserved for a special purpose," not "formally attired."

And on the shoelace issue, I'm a youth minister. The stereotype is thus that I shall wear flip-flops.

16. webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Who's guidelines are you using to be "set apart"? If it's a coat and tie...it's the WORLDS! Society sets "how" one is to dress in their "best". Following these same guidelines and applying them to the church is not "setting apart" the dress in church, and dress in the "world".

17. Filmproducer Guest

But then you would have a judgemental LOST world seeing a casual approach to worship then wouldn't you?

I believe there is such a total disregard for holy living in this day it actually drives more away from worship because of its being so closely linked to the world that no one can tell the difference anymore: i.e., the work of a serpent, no doubt.

Hmmm... How many LOST have you brought to church lately? In my experience the LOST could CARE LESS what Christians wear to church, or anywhere else for that matter. The only thing that I have found to drive people away from worship is possible judgemnet by Christians. Once again, wear what you want, and permit others to do the same. Neither side has a leg to stand on scriptually, and frankly I don't think God cares as long as the heart is right. If that is fitting God into a box, so be it.

Oh, can you please let me know where you buy your clothes? I should probably start shopping there so that the LOST do not think I am buying "worldly" clothes. My testimony and character must be confusing people because they see me wearing "worldly" clothes bought in the average "worldly" store. :eek: :rolleyes:

Ummmm. A little 'off color' maybe?

I think I'll stick with Bro. Tony's answer! :cool: :D

18. I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I wish I'd have thought of his answer first.

19. Ron Arndt New Member

Filmproducer

Your analysis of a Christian is not entirely correct. A Christian is suppose to be DIFFERENT than the those who are lost and have no need of Christ in this world. They are a light in the darkness. A representative of Christ TO the world. If we cuss,drink, live immorally and wear wordily clothes like the hip hop baggy pants, Britteny spears cut offs, tee shirts with provocative sayings on them, then HOW ARE WE ANY DIFFERENT THAN THE WORLD? When a lost person enters our church, will they be able to tell the Christian from their unsaved friends?

Casual dress, does not mean provocative dress or the latest hip hop attire. When you become a Christian, it is no longer Snoop dog who you try to dress and emulate, but rather you DIE TO SELF and Christ lives his life IN YOU. Being a Christian means I'm BORN ANEW.

This is the whole point.

20. Filmproducer Guest

Ron,

I already stated that we should dress modestly, and I figured people would remember that. I am not advocating dressing immodestly for church, or anywhere else. Frankly, why does it matter if we wear "modest" formal or "modest" casual to church? The "lost" could care less either way. That was the point I was making. I dress up for church, but only because it is really the only time that I am able to. Depending on the weather my husband will wear a suit and tie, it can get a little uncomfortable in the 96 degree heat to always wear one, especially since the air broke in our car. I go to church to worship and fellowship, I don't care what anyone wears. We are all God's children.