1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cessationism or Continuationism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Mikey, Mar 31, 2019.

?
  1. Cessationism

15 vote(s)
    68.2%
  2. Continuationism

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The last living Apostle is understood to be John who was given the Revelation of Jesus Christ (Revelation 1:1-3).
    And it has a seal upon it not to add to the hearing of it (Revelation 22:18). The speaking gifts ended prior to the end of the Apostles.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dave, what about when the Holy Spirit came at Pentecost in Acts 2?

3. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The believing (born again) Jews asked Peter for advise. Had they not believe, they would not have asked. This means they already had the Holy Spirit, faith is a fruit thereof. Peter told them to repent and they would receive the gift of the Holy Spirit which is the baptism of the Holy Spirit. In essence, all believers have the Holy Spirit in the new birth. But the new birth becomes the baptism of the Holy Spirit through repentance as defined in the new covenant. = the less we cater to sin, the more immersed in the Holy Spirit we become.

4. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that all believers receive the Holy Spirit when we are born again. I really like the progression you described there. But these believers spoke in tongues, even though there was no laying on of hands.

5. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There were two outpourings where the few recipients spoke in tongues. The only other mention of tongues in Acts is associated with an apostle imparting the gift by the laying on of hands.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    For the first time ever, I've just realized that the only ones who spoke in tongues at Pentecost were the Apostles. As many times as I read that before, I always thought that everyone spoke in tongues that day - possibly due to some Charismatic teachings, but I must take personal responsibility as well. Thank you for the "eye-opener". I'm not as sure today of what I was positive of a week ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.