1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Charismatic Errors Listed

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by John of Japan, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. awaken

awaken Active Member

That gift is not mentioned in scriptures!

I tried to in the other thread...
    It is not just tongues! IF you would go back and read the post most of what I spoke on tongues was in defense. I was trying to discuss the all three chapters in context. Most were attacking just tongues, I tried several times to change the subject to the other manifestations.

Jesus taught the apostles which in turn was to teach us the same doctrines!

Jesus did teach about the Holy Spirit, but said there were a lot of stuff he wanted to teach them but they could not receive it yet. Do you remember why they could not receive it?

2. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

No, Charismatics by and large hold to the Pentecostal belief in the baptism of the HS with evidence of tongues; they differ in that they think tongues is not the only evidence.

This group's definition of "full gospel" is the inclusion of all the gifts as operational today.

3. awaken

awaken Active Member

Anyone that refuses to believe that the manifestation are not here today are saying "thanks, but no thanks to God"...In unbelief...they have shut the door to this in there life.
    Are they saved? YES! I was saved for YEARS before I experienced any of it.
    I agree that all do not have to speak in tongues!
    I have been presenting what God has shown me in the Word. I do not force this down anyones throat. But I do defend the Word when it is attacked...and it seems lately that I am have to defend myself personally as well.

4. awaken

awaken Active Member

I explained that while going over this with you...this was the first time I realized that "word of knowledge" was not mentioned in Chapter 13 of Cor.
    I was sincere in my comment! That does not prove or destroy my argument about the continuation of the manifestation of the Holy Spirit.
    I have asked for understanding of this verse. The Holy Spirit has never let me down..it might take months, but He always sheds light to His Word.

One thing I did come across is....

Whether there be knowledge. See Barnes "1 Corinthians 14:8". This refers, I think, to knowledge as we now possess it. It cannot mean that there will be no knowledge in heaven; for there must be a vast increase of knowledge in that world among all its inhabitants. The idea in the passage here, I think, is: "All the knowledge which we now possess, valuable as it is, will be obscured and lost, and rendered comparatively valueless, in the fuller splendours of the eternal world--as the feeble light of the stars, beautiful and valuable as it is, vanishes, or is lost in the splendour of the rising sun. The knowledge which we now have is valuable, as the gift of prophecy and the power of speaking foreign languages is valuable, but it will be lost in the brighter visions of the world above." That this is the sense is evident from what Paul says in illustration of the sentiment in 1 Corinthians 13:9,10. Now we know in part. What we deem ourselves acquainted with, we imperfectly understand. There are many obscurities and many difficulties. But in the future world we shall know distinctly and clearly, (1 Corinthians 13:12;) and then the knowledge which we now possess will appear so dim and obscure, that it will seem to have vanished away and disappeared,

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

We used to have on this board a "Baptist" who claimed to be a saved Baptist and lived a homosexual lifestyle at the same time. I don't consider him to be a Baptist, no matter what he claims. There are certain groups of people that put the name of Baptist on the church but are not Baptist.

Earlier John gave a link to "Can a Baptist be a Charismatic?" Most of the posters said "no." I agree. There are some Charismatics that put "Baptist" on their church. I don't consider them Baptists. It is not the name that makes you Baptist; it is what you believe.

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No I did not. The Corinthian church is the only church that Paul wrote to about spiritual gifts. It is the only epistle from which we gain any doctrine about spiritual gifts except for this one verse:

Hebrews 2:3 How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;
    4 God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will?
    --We see clearly that the gifts of the Holy Spirit bore witness to the Apostles giving them witness, confirming that that "great salvation first spoken by the Lord" was indeed an authentic and genuine message. It wasn't something made up by just any man. It was confirmed by them that heard him--the apostles--by the gifts of the Holy Spirit. That is what the function of the gifts of the Holy Spirit were for.
    It is not I that is silly. I was baptized of the Holy Spirit when I was saved. That is the only spiritual baptism that I will ever receive or that any believer will ever receive. That is the only one that is spoken of in the Bible. The Bible does not speak of three, four, five baptisms etc. It speaks of two: one when you are saved, and one when you obey the Lord when you are baptized in water. That is it. There is nothing more.
    You are the one without understanding.
    The gifts of the Holy Spirit are given for the edification of the church ONLY. They are not selfish prideful gifts as you use them. You are definitely in the wrong here. When you say you build yourself up, the accurate word is "puff up." It means being proud, think yourself to be above everyone else, more spiritual than others because you have this secret knowledge, this "better" gift than others do. Yet, that is the very thing that Paul rebukes. Tongues is only to be used in the church and that with an interpreter. There is no such thing as a private prayer language. You can't prove that from Scripture.
    You are the one that stands in unbelief; the unbelief that even when shown to be wrong you go on in your unbelief that these gifts continue to this day. The evidence piles up against you. You say things that you don't know. You could be worshiping Satan. You don't know. You can't know, because you have no idea what you are saying.
    You can't answer my post so you stoop to what you think is name calling when it is not. The truth is you are being hypocritical and you think that is name calling. It isn't. I will say it again. This time let it sink in. You are a hypocrite. You say one thing but cannot demonstrate it, have no evidence for it. If it were true you would be able to back it up. But hypocritically you just claim something to be true without evidence. It is not name calling to state something that is true. Swallow your pride and accept it.

Demonstrate that any of the sign gifts are operational today. I challenge you to do so. Where are they operational as they were in the Bible. I have been asking for this evidence and you cannot give any. Therefore it is only reasonable to conclude that you are a hypocrite claiming something to be true when it is false, or you would produce the evidence.
    Childish?? You don't know what you are saying when you pray?? How do you know it is from God? You don't! It is an emotional psychological experience that very well could be influenced by Satan himself, and you won't even consider that possibility!! That is not childish! That is you being foolish! Test the spirits to see whether they be of God. How do you know?

One thing for sure. They are not Biblical on this one count alone. They are not within the confines of the local church. And if they are not being used to edify the local church they are not Biblical. Every gift is used to local church; none was ever used for private use. You are doing something that is very dangerous and outside the realm of the Bible.

7. awaken

awaken Active Member

You added the apostles, it does not mention JUST apostles. As I have proven over and over...others than the apostles manifested the power of the Holy Spirit.

You questioned if my baptism was from God and how I knew? I turned the questions back to you.
    Well I am part of the church!

Again, wrong in your judgement! And wrong in building yourself up being selfish! Jude 20 says otherwise and is encouraged! I have NEVER shown in any post that I believe myself to be better than anyone else! Please address the scriptures without your personal attacks!

Again...stick to the scriptures and not a personal assessment. You have openly said you do not believe in the manifestation of the Holy Spirit.

Where am I being hypocritical? I guess since you are a moderater you can get away with calling names! How would you like me to to manifest the Holy Spirit on this forum? Again, you are being silly!

Well, you are not going to see it if you are in a church that does not believe it! And again I can not prove anything over the forum.

His Spirit bears witness with my spirit...the gift of discernment..

Wrong again! I will pray God helps your unbelief! Other than that...there is nothing I can say...you have made your choice! I am through discussing this with you. It is not that I can not back up what I say...I have with scriptures!

8. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

Awaken you will not convince them of a thing. They have to live it.

9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the problem is that we have the truth of the bible, while he has experiences to back up his beliefs!

I was an Elder in the Assemblies of God,schooled in their institution, so know of what I speak!

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Benny Hinn said that he would raise the dead of all relatives if they would set them in front of the TV screen when he would come on TV on a given date. They just had to be there, and the relative would just have to touch the TV while he prayed. Then those dead would be raised.
    That day came and went. How many people were raised from the dead? Zilch, nada, zero!! He is a fraud, like you and the others. Claim one thing but can't back it up. You have no evidence.

Acts 5:16 tells of Peter who healed ALL who came to him from all the cities round about him--a great multitude. He did not exclude anyone. The healings did not depend on anyone of the peoples' faith. It did not depend on whether or not they were saved. He healed all that came to him. Thousands of people no matter what condition they were in.
    --Name me one person that can or does that today. Who actually has that gift of healing today and is practicing it. Demonstrate it. Prove it. Give your evidence--Names, times, places. You won't because you can't. You are a hypocrite. You say that the gift of healing is operational but there is not one corner of this world where a single person is practicing this gift! How hypocritical can a person be--to claim something that is nonexistent.

Show me one person who is speaking in Biblical tongues--that is speaking in another known language that they did not learn nor ever heard before, but God has given it to them supernaturally so that they can go and preach to another nation of that language. That is the gift of tongues--God giving a person another language supernaturally. Show me where this is happening today. You can't can you?
    You can't show me where any of these gifts are being practiced. They, like revelatory knowledge, have ceased. You just won't admit it.

11. awaken

awaken Active Member

Why can't it be both? Why can't truth and experience be right?
    I have truth of the Bible too! But I also live out what the Bible says I can! That is called experience!:thumbs:

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You don't live out what you say. You say you have the Biblical sign gifts but you don't. You are a fraud. And unless you can prove otherwise I will consider you one.

13. awaken

awaken Active Member

Love you too DHK....

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

No you don't.

1 John 3:18 My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.

Your words above are meaningless unless they are backed up with action.

15. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I see your point, but I hardly think he is in danger of being executed just for standing up and saying that denying the incarnation of Christ is dead wrong. :type:

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are yuou aware of the meaning of the term "Full Gospel"? Maybe I should list that next as a Charismatic error.

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then stop pretending you know my agenda and motives. It's very offensive.
    No, you have never said what you think Christ taught about the manifestation of the Spirit.
    I've never seen anyone on the BB wriggle around so much to avoid answering legitimate questions. I'll try once again.

What did Christ teach about the manifestation of the Holy Spirit, in your opinion.

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "full Gospel" concept is another Charismatic error. When you read the term "full Gospel, virtually always it means they are Charismatic. The only caveat here is that the concept originated in the "fourfold Gospel" teachings of Holiness pastor A. B. Simpson, the founder of the Christian and Missionary Alliance. He meant that Jesus Christ is "Savior, Sanctifier, Healer and Coming King" (Who Was Who in Church History, by Elgin Moyer, p. 374). However, Simpson specifically rejected tongues and the fledgling Pentecostal agenda in 1907 (Aspects of Pentecostal-Charismatic Origins, ed. by Vinson Synan, p. 89).

The Charismatic concept of the full gospel (and awaken has endorsed this) is that there are various aspects to the gospel: the baptism of the Spirit, spiritual gifts and divine healing. The main reason this is in error is that it adds to the gospel, which is clear in the Bible: Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures as proven by His burial, and he rose again according to the Scriptures, as proven by the many witnesses (1 Cor. 15:1-8). Anything added to this brings a curse (Gal. 1:8-9). Many Charismatics believe you are not even saved if you don't speak in tongues; others believe you cannot be a good Christian if you don't speak in tongues and in fact, buy into the whole spiritual gifts thing.

The Full Gospel Businessmen's Fellowship, founded in 1951, exists to bring Charismatic beliefs into mainline churches, and thus is very divisive. Baptists, avoid the full gospel error like the plague. It is neither full nor gospel, and it can destroy your church.

19. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

I know what it means when Pentecostals and Charismatics use it. For this Baptist group, it evidently just means that they believe that all the gifts mentioned in the NT are and should be in operation today.

20. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Do you live to try and discredit people?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.