Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Dec 1, 2005.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

After seeing the new movie we dug through our kids books and found Roald Dahl's book. I have been amazed at the songs the Oompa Loompa's sing as each child disappears.

Here is a sample from the Mike Teavee section:

CLICK HERE FOR SOURCE

And Veruca Salt (from the same source:

Pretty good stuff!

2. hamricba New Member

You'll get NO, You'll get NO, You'll get NO Commercials!

Anyone else see the latest movie version of the story? I haven't checked it out yet, but I enjoyed the last one. How might you compare them in quality?

Thanks for posting this. It's encouraging.

3. NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I liked the new version. It kept the old songs pretty much intact and I liked the emphasis on family. The part about Willie Wonka and his father (though not in the book) was a nice addition.

I like both the films in their own way.

Sorry had to add just one more quote about the television. The full song is in the link above.

4. Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The first movie ranks as among the worst movies of all time.
    The second one was a little bit better, although I have to admit I didn't sit through most of it (nausea).

Was that Michael Jackson or his brother that starred as Willie Wonka? :rolleyes: :D

Rob

5. James_Newman New Member

I generally don't allow my kid to watch stuff, I'm trying to keep him from being a Mike Teevee. I loved Dahl's stories as a child, so I went and bought Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and read it to him. He wants to read it again. I may have to go get the Great Glass Elevator, which was the sequel to Charlie, but its a little over the top...

6. chipsgirl New Member

I loved the new version much more than the original and the songs were hilarious!

7. following-Him Active Member

We took our eldest grandson David to see the film and thoroughly enjoyed it. So did he. Tomorrow we take him to see Narnia. I have not read any of the books, not even the Narnia books but I think David has read them all.

8. nate New Member

I agree with Deacon! These movies are incredibly hard to watch. They are so silly. That said I agree at least the songs in it are good.

9. I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I guess I am in the minority here. I loved the first movie and 'tolerated' the second one.

Brent enjoyed the second one more, probably because of the improved graphics.

I have usually found that the second (or remake) movie is never as good as the first one.

Maybe it's just because I have seen the first one many times over the years and am used to that one.

10. Bunyon New Member

I hated the second one. I hate the postmodern cynicism that was introduced with Willie coming from a product of a severely dysfunctional childhood.

11. Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005
    I liked the original Willy Wonka movie better than the modern one. All these new modern music styles are nothing but trash.

12. NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Did you check out the words to the songs? Pretty sound principles in the songs about the kids, especially Mike Teavee.

13. Johnv New Member

I'm probably in the biggest minority here. I didn't care for the book as a kid, didn't like the first movie (Gene Wilder) and didn't like the second (Johnny Depp). However, it's my observation that the second was closer to the book than the first.