1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Child evangelism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Feb 6, 2015.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The wesleyan pastor for example I take everything he says with a grain of salt.

2. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God chooses to save many and we can praise him for granting salvation to the elect. However no one wins anyone to Christ, for God grants faith and repentance in His elect.

3. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with Mark 16:15 entirely. However many are neglecting to evangelism men/women and evangelize kids instead. The emphasis should be on men/women and then kids.

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bye the way I use Chick Tracts sometimes which are more geared towards kids and I have given kids a ton of gospel tracts including the famous million dollar bill tract. I am all for evangelizing kids, its just so many churches neglect adults because they would rather evangelize kids.

5. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's a Wesleyan pastor here!? Draw him! Quarter him!

Again you make unsubstantiated claims about many and most. You have direct experience with half a dozen churches and a handful of former BJU classmates. Do you have any research or data that indicate many or most churches either do no evangelism or only evangelize children and neglect adults?

Without good information your post is reduced to opinion and you need to state it as such.

[​IMG]

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I've not met one person involved in child evangelism who wants to make a name for themselves. I've seen men and women run ragged doing amazing ministry but not one of them is out for fame other than the fame of the name of Jesus.

7. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I'm glad you are at least just coming out and saying it straightforwardly: You don't respect or value the opinions of non-Cals and non-Reformed with anything approaching the value you put on your fellow Cal brethren.

At least several of the Cals here will listen and discuss with us non-Cals. You've lumped us into a group of second-rate citizens because we don't buy into your theological bend. We offer you advice; we offer you our knowledge, and you brush it aside because we aren't Reformed.

If you were looking only for approval and affirmation then the internet is not the right place for you. But as someone else said earlier today, Iron can sharpen Iron if you are willing to allow it. If you are not willing, which you've shown no inclination toward willingness, then you have truly closed the door on a large part of the Christian community and on BB members in general. You had opportunity to take in the knowledge of the whole community as we offered it. Instead, you admitted to us just how much you value our opinion. Good luck to you, Evan.

8. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm reformed and I agree with most of the posters on here that you make a lot of broad claims about other posters with nothing to back it up. I have not seen an anti evangelist bent on here but what I see is people exercising the gifts that God has given them. Oh and I'm actually a fan of WOTM but I do recognize that it is not for everyone and I think the fact that your succes rate is 0 I'm not sure it's right for you.

9. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

The emphasis should be on a lost and dying world bound for Hell because of the sin that separates them from God. You don't get to pick and choose which age group is more deserving of your evangelistic efforts. You ought to be preaching as the Spirit moves you; as God leads you. Planning out which group you are going to target with your efforts is placing an unnecessary governor on the movement of the Spirit, which we are warned in the scriptures not to quench.

It doesn't matter how many tracts you hand out. It doesn't matter what publishing house is making the tracts. It doesn't even matter if Ray Comfort himself came to your house and personally handed the tracts to you. If you claim to be an evangelist and you are not preaching the gospel of Christ crucified, resurrected, and ascended, overcoming the sin that has weighed us down, and claiming victory over Death, hell and the grave for all of us, then you are failing as an evangelist. God is no respecter of persons. He is certainly no respecter of age, given the varied ages that BB members claim for their experiences of grace. So get over this idea that evangelism should target one age group over another. We're told to go out into the world and preach to the lost. It doesn't say "make sure they're all over 18 before you preach to them."

Good grief, that statement made me angry, Evan. That's really disturbing that you are thinking that way.

10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

The Barna poll I posted

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Like how you treat me? I am a second rate citizen or worse in your book because I am also a WOTM evangelist.

12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who's the Wesleyan pastor?

13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

This is also a debate board. I do not seek your advice.

14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I hand out tons of tracts to kids. However the model set by Jesus and Paul is to adults first.

Have you ever read the gospels? Jesus went after adults first.

#54 evangelist6589, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
  15. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

Not at all. My main concern for you, Evan, is that you claim to be a street-preacher, yet you have now made the statement that one group is more deserving of evangelistic attention than another. You've shown a strong propensity for trusting the books of fallible men over the infallible and inerrant Word of God. You then proceed to reveal how you consider that non-Cal authors are not as trustworthy or reliable as Calvinist/Reformed authors.

You seem to place your stock in the face that you follow WOTM, to which I would caution you to remember the words of Paul:
    Don't get so wrapped up in following after Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron that you forget that the one you should be following is Christ.

My biggest concern is for those you impact. You claim to be in downtown Denver, which has a lot of people. You need to be well-established and strong in your faith, based off the scriptures, not someone else's opinion of the scriptures, and seeking the guidance of the Holy Ghost of God before trying to evangelize so greatly populated an area.

16. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't prevent the children from coming to me - Jesus

17. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus went after Jews first. No where does scripture say Jesus went after adults first.

18. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The article says nothing about evangelizing children while neglecting adults.

19. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

That's the truth. Seems to me, more often than not, you engage in some self-congratulatory posting about the great work you are doing, then you try to wrangle everyone else into working the same way you do. Honestly, Evan, you would do well to at least consider the advice of those around you who have been in this walk for a while. Simply disregarding them while patting yourself on the back is a surefire way to set yourself up for failure.

Don't question how much of the gospels I've read. I would like to think that my use of the scripture would be a pretty simple outward sign that I know what I'm talking about, and can get hold of it through quick research if need be. I thank God for blessing me with an "English-major" mind that can grasp the written word easily enough.

Again, handing out tracts is basically just giving someone else something you didn't want to throw away. No tract by itself can save anyone. Repeating the rote prayer on some of these easy-believism tracts is actually dooming people to Hell. The gospel has to be preached and people must hear it in order to believe. Just how loudly does a tract preach?

You've gotten all up in arms over who is being evangelized first. The truth is, all men require evangelism. Children to adults to the elderly require evangelism. Without the preaching of the Word of God the lost cannot be saved (barring you believe in a hyper-Cal world where the Elect are saved and sealed regardless of ever hearing the gospel and regardless of how much contradiction that places on Paul's writing).

20. padredurand

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know who it is but I'm not telling. He even went to a United Methodist seminary, pastored in UM churches and has no problem with dancing, card playing, drinking a beer or the motion picture THEE-ater. Imagine all that after a fine upbringing in a Bob Jones planted IFB.

I hear he puts maple syrup in his grits, too. :thumbsup: