1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Children of God

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Earth Wind and Fire, May 29, 2023.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 John 4: 7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.

10 Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.

Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My version says “sons of God” in 1 John 3:1.

You need to go back to chapter 2 to find the context. John is speaking of the gift of God Holy Spirit indwelling the believer and allowing them to pursue righteousness.

So, “sons of God” is connected with pursuing righteousness, as God pursues righteousness., in the power of God Holy Spirit.

I’m sure there are other connected meanings, but that one stands out in context.

peace to you

4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    KJV:
    1 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. 1 Jn 3

See the the previous verse:
    29 If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him. 1 Jn 2

Born of God/born of the Spirit/born from above is a common theme of John's:

9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. 1 Jn 3

7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. 1 Jn 4

1 Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.
    4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.
    18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not. 1 Jn 5

13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. Jn 1

YLT:
    3 Jesus answered and said to him, `Verily, verily, I say to thee, If any one may not be born from above, he is not able to see the reign of God;`
    5 Jesus answered, `Verily, verily, I say to thee, If any one may not be born of water, and the Spirit, he is not able to enter into the reign of God;
    7 `Thou mayest not wonder that I said to thee, It behoveth you to be born from above;
    8 the Spirit where he willeth doth blow, and his voice thou dost hear, but thou hast not known whence he cometh, and whither he goeth; thus is every one who hath been born of the Spirit.` Jn 3

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looks like John's "whosoever(s)", of John 3:16, are not only "wrought of God", as in vs 3:21, "But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God," but that they are also "born of God", "begotten of him", "born from above", "born of the Spirit", etc., like in all the red wordings, above.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 27: 31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:

32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Brother Glen:)

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The word is neutral ("children of God" is accurate).

I believe this is pointing to our status in terms of Christ being the "Firstborn of many brethren" ("brethren" is masculine....BTW).

8. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 25 contains two Parables, one about the 10 Virgins and the other one about Talents and the unprofitable servant.

Since they both teach The Sovereignty of God and His Right to Demand Obedience to His Commands, I'm not sure that is where you would want to start trying to build a case for not preaching the Gospel.

"Whosoever" is not said to be the power of God unto salvation and "believe" is not said to be the power of God unto salvation.

And waiting until the goats are separated from the sheep is not the power of God unto salvation.

"Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again." John 3:7.

It is, "the Gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek." Romans 1:16.

Any of the King's subjects that exhibited having the Grace of God in their Hearts by giving a stranger drink, etc., got it by the New Birth, when, "Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures" James 1:18,

"Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth forever." I Peter 1:23.

9. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew 27:31, et al, refers to the judgment of the nations after the rapture, and immediately after Christ’s second coming, to determine who enters into the millennial reign of Christ, in their mortal bodies, to re-populate the Earth, based on how they treated His people preceding the second coming.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't you mean Matthew 25:31? Personally I am persuaded this reference, and what follows takes place in Revelation 20:11-15. But you might have some addition reference in mind to go with Matthew 25:31 for your view?

11. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, Matthew 25. I will try again tomorrow; thank you.

12. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alan I did not say not to preach the Gospel but John Gill disagrees with you that this is a parable... And since you respect him and have quoted him at times, you have assumed what is a parable, that comes after two is a parable too... Its an actual event in the future, not a parable... Sheep are sheep and goats are goats... Their final destination determines what they are... Brother Glen:)

#12 tyndale1946, Jun 2, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
  13. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, I didn't say it was a parable.

Right.

So, you must be born again?

Do you see sheep as those having come to a Saving Knowledge of their need for repentance toward God and Faith in the Work of Jesus Christ accomplished by His death, burial, and resurrection, in a Salvation Experience of being Born Again, at some time in their life?

Or, do we all have to wait to be sure of our final destination?

14. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is fantastic. I agree with all of it except it being Matthew 25, as you know, and all of the following;

Other than that, it's pretty fantastic.

15. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Bema Seat Judgment is for the purpose of rewards for Christians. No lost there.
    The Great White Throne Judgment is for the purpose of judging the lost. No saved there.
    The Matthew 25 judgment is (apparently) after the rapture, when the earth has lost the Christians in the rapture (maybe a billion people?) and at least half its remaining inhabitants from the plagues and wars.

For Christ and His Bride (the actual church) to have a kingdom to rule over, someone has to enter into that kingdom and produce offspring to repopulate the earth for that thousand years while satan is imprisoned, and at the end he is released and that population that only knew the rule of Christ and the church will be tested and many found to be in rebellion against God, proving human nature has not changed. Therefore, it does seem apparent this judgment is to determine, by works, not by grace (because it is not the redemption of the soul and the new birth, but only determines who goes alive into the kingdom), but who will be allowed to live out their natural lives in the kingdom, commonly referred to as the Millennial Reign of Christ.

I understand how some could see this as a preview of the Great White Throne Judgment, and I know I could be mistaken, but until I've read something in Scripture to change my mind, the above is how I understand what is written below (the fact that verse 31 points out it takes place when Christ returns, rather than a thousand years later, makes it strongly appear to be at the beginning of the Millennial Reign, whereas the Great White Throne Judgment is at the end).

I won't state categorically that I am right, because I'm yet human, and I am capable of missing a point here and there.

Matthew 25:
    31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
    32 and before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
    33 and he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
    34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
    35 for I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
    36 naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
    37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
    38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
    39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
    40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
    41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
    42 for I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
    43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
    44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
    45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
    46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

16. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is absolutely no Biblical support for this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But there is for reward... Your reward is your inheritance... Eternal life... You want a crown Mr.W?... Take it off your head and toss it where it belongs... AT JESUS FEET!... Brother Glen:)

Colossians 3: 24 Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.

18. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not at issue. Not the bema issue. Romans 14:10-11 and 2 Corinthians 5:10-11, Matthew 25:31-46, Revelation 20:11-15 and 1 Corinthians 6:1-4, Revelation 3:21.

#18 37818, Jun 3, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
  19. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet I absolutely see it in Scripture.

1 Corinthians 3:
    9 ¶ For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building.
    10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.
    11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
    12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
    13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
    14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
    15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

20. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet none of this truth in 1 Corinthians 3:9-15 proves your remark of which I disagreed with.
    The bema > Romans 14:10-11 and 2 Corinthians 5:10-11.

Romans 14:10-11, ". . .
    But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God. . . ." Verse 11 includes the lost.

2 Corinthians 5:10-11, ". . . For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad. Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences.. . . ." Verse 11 why we warn the lost.

#20 37818, Jun 4, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2023