1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Christian Apologetics: Knowing Our Enemy Called the Scientific Worldview

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Steven Yeadon, Jun 28, 2018.

1. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How refreshing that you can admit the possibility of another interpretation, instead of expressing the all too typical dogmatism. How much better it would be if others could do the same.

No, I don’t see it as helpful to argue for appearance of age, a young earth, a global flood, geocentricity, or a flat earth with scientifically-minded people. It can be downright harmful. Science is not an enemy of the truth. Scientists are not enemies of the truth. But given your sort of representations, they may have very good reason to scoff, and think your other ideas on the Bible must be equally worthy of scorn. Everyone needs the Gospel. Find a way to share that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When was this, and who? Maybe peasants who did nothing but work the fields or menial tasks to serve their masters thought thus, as there was no reason to think otherwise and it wouldn't help them. But thinking people considered how a ship disappeared over the horizon before its tallest sails did, how the Pole Star had no visible 'movement' and the other stars revolved around it, and how the earth's shadow was seen on the moon occasionally, but then only on the night of a Full Moon... and came to the obvious conclusion(s). It's hardly the most difficult thing in the world, including in ancient times, to see the earth is spherical.

3. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First of all, that felt harmful. You say sin that damns people to hell (scoffing) is justified just because the messenger with the Gospel believes in a (too) literal interpretation of the bible.

Second, your post leads me to believe you do not believe in a global flood, which I find shocking. Do you believe in Adam and Eve and Eden?

4. Wesley Briggman

Wesley Briggman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christian Apologetics: Knowing Our Enemy Called the Scientific Worldview

Is there a scriptural reference to support that statement?

The discipline of science does not condemn the soul of man, nor can it redeem it.

Jas 4:4 KJV Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

5. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I should have called it Secular Humanism, not the Scientific Worldview. I am sorry. I have already been corrected. Between post #24 and post #1 you should have all you need to contribute more.

6. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I did not say what you say I said, but let me try to be clearer. I pointed out some problems with the way you presented some ideas. You even admitted that your interpretation may turn out to be wrong. The way you have presented some of your beliefs can be harmful if you try to present them to scientifically minded people as a way to share the Gospel. They may very well feel justified in not listening to anything else from the Bible, if you start out that way. It is best to avoid doing so. As one person here has wisely suggested, find common ground and go from there. Don’t antagonize.
    Your expressed shock and resultant question make me suspect you are not very familiar with other interpretations that square with the Bible’s historical accounts of the Noahic Flood and the Garden of Eden. Sometimes people have seen only caricatures of other interpretations, with attendant accusations of this or that. Perhaps that’s why you were shocked and left wondering?

7. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a good point, best to make the Gospel attractive like Paul did. The full weight of Christian beliefs can come over time. That does call into question modern Christian apologetics to atheists, though.

The shock is because until this point in my life, only liberal Christians from Mainline denominations have used those interpretations. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt though.

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All well and good, except for the fact that the distinctions you demarcate are ignored by the scientists themselves.

9. FollowTheWay

FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many scientists are devout Christians. like myself. When I look at the night sky with its unbelievable billions of stars farrther than the strongest telescope ever invented I am fill with the wonder and glory of God. The works of His creation are simply too astounding to even consider that they happened by chance. This is in line with the Biblical statement that those who have not yet heard the gospel have some idea of the Eternal due to their witness of His creation. Einstein believed in a greater force outside our time/space but not the personal God of Christians. His famous statement in speaking out against Quantum Mechanics was: "God (small g) does not play dice with the universe" He, sadly, had only of part of the truth.

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Trusting Genesis 1-11 does not necessarily mean interpreting those passages literally.

If I was trying to attack the integrity of the Bible and claimed that the biblical writers didn't know anything about locusts, citing Revelation 9:7-10:

The appearance of the locusts was like horses prepared for battle; and on their heads appeared to be crowns like gold, and their faces were like the faces of men. They had hair like the hair of women, and their teeth were like the teeth of lions. They had breastplates like breastplates of iron; and the sound of their wings was like the sound of chariots, of many horses rushing to battle. They have tails like scorpions, and stings; and in their tails is their power to hurt men for five months.

And then I said, "If I cannot trust Revelation, then why should I trust Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John?"

You would point out that not all parts of the Bible are supposed to be taken literally. That there are a number of places that are symbolic or are intended to be interpreted another way. And you would be correct.

In your graduate training, have you had a class on biblical interpretation? This should have been covered in any legitimate program...

Picking a verse at random:

Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me will not hunger, and he who believes in Me will never thirst."

I was hungry and thirsty last night before dinner, and I woke up this morning hungry and thirsty. What about you? Does that mean that we have not come to Jesus?

Obviously, we don't take Jesus at "face value" because that is clearly NOT what is intended.

11. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are making a blanket statement. You need to get to know some scientists. There are plenty of scientists who are people who subscribe to a faith tradition, as well as many Christians.

One of the big obstacles to scientists breaking free of naturalism and empirical rationalism is that Christians stupidly claim that a person has to make a choice between believing science or believing the Bible. So some scientists, knowing that science is quite reliable in making predictions, reject the Bible and the anti-intellectual Christianity that they have seen demonstrated.

12. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You want to be pedantic, fine. The scientists that control the microphone. That run the institutions of education, write the textbooks, that do the hiring and firing, that do the publishing, that lobby congress, that are telling the rest of us what science is . . .

. . . ignore your distinctions.

Which iota of Hawkings' imaginations of late were anywhere near your definitions?

Hogwash. It's not the fault of God's little children that atheists want to leave God out of science.

13. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Put simply, the prevailing world view in the institutions of science is atheistic. The reasons for that are moral, not empirical.

There are scientists who have a Christian world view. They are typically shunned and ridiculed, even by professed Christians who wish to be considered educated.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unfortunately my program did not have a class on hermeneutics. It was the single biggest flaw in the program. Instead they tried to cover hermeneutics in the OT and NT courses, which concentrated on how to read the bible in light of higher criticism.

I see your point on not taking things on face value, but I must simply say I disagree when it comes to the subject of Genesis 1-11.

So far, we have only discussed the first Creation Narrative. The Second Creation Narrative in Genesis 2 is also problematic to science. So is Genesis 3 on the Fall, and the notion of a global Flood. Nimrod and his empire are also problematic to science. Even the Exodus is problematic to science.

The thing is Genesis 1-11 seem like narratives every bit as real as the rest of Genesis and the Exodus

The problem I have found is that if the narratives of Genesis 1-11 are read as symbolic or mythological, then it does harm to the mind of a skeptic. It also does harm to later parts of the bible, as Jesus believed in Noah and a global Flood (Matthew 24:37-39) and in a literal Eden (Mark 10:6-9).

The reason I say it does harm to skeptical minds, is that as a former atheist, I know that it is a struggle to keep your mind from getting comfortably doubting again. By doing what I did by saying there is apprarent age, I have put to death most of my skepticism. The bible is thus the book that defines reality regardless of what my senses tell me. Since then I have grown comfortable with my faith, and I allow for less literal explanations, as long as the bible has final say.

Now, you might disagree with this method, but as a former atheist, it has worked for me. Admittedly this might not be for everyone, but it remains true that science opposes things Jesus took for granted in a global Flood and a literal Eden with Adam and Eve.

As I said to someone else, until and unless science starts lining up with some semblance of reality in the fact of a global Flood and the beginning of what we call humanity, then I see no daylight between them and believers on historical questions.

The problem is this will scare off people who are rooted in what science says about history. But I must stress that they already believe a competing narrative to the Christian one. It is incumbent upon us to defeat that competing narrative and replace it with one that is true.

As long as sciences conclude that everything before 1 and 2 Kings is myth, I see no reason to regard science as anything but a competing understanding of history.

16. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, Paul is a great example of how to reach people via common ground, even saying, “I am made all things to all men, that I might by all means save some,” (1 Cor 9:22b). The term apologetics has its roots in 1 Pet 3:15b: “Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.”

An atheist can have any number of issues other than science. A great many of them feel hurt by religious people. How many of them have real hope? My hope is not in the fall, or even in the creation, but in the risen Lord.
    Yes, personal experience necessarily colors one’s perspective; it cannot be helped, except by more varied experiences, which can be aided via the shared experiences of others, including the study of history.

You are right that liberal is not my label. What’s the label for the following? “For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; 5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ,” (2 Cor 10:4-5).

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you, we will just have to agree to disagree, but I have learned quite a bit from this thread.

Hopefully, my conversation with Baptist Believer will be formative.

18. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you, too. I thought it a good exchange, and think we agree far more than disagree. The way I see it, you are seeking to reconcile your reading of the Bible with the reality you observe, and vice versa, so that truth is maintained. I’m not sure I worded that properly, but I think R.C. Sproul related this to “saving the phenomena.” Here’s an excerpt from this link: https://www.ligonier.org/learn/devotionals/saving-phenomena/

“When we see an apparent conflict between the Bible and science, either our understanding of the Bible is wrong, our understanding of science is wrong, or our understanding of both is wrong. As Christians we can confidently pursue all of the sciences knowing that when we apprehend them correctly, we will understand God even better.”

Again, I encourage you to keep in mind that science and scientism are not at all the same, and that using them interchangeably will only muddy the waters, something Baptist Believer also emphasized.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the problem here, now that I know the distinction between empirical knowledge and scientism, is that I am having such a hard time separating the two concepts in the minds of atheists.

Having been an atheist, and knowing Hollywood culture, I must say that the scientific knowledge and scientism are presented as effectively the same thing by unbelievers of a secular bent. That is a chink in their armor though. Empirical knowledge need not turn into Materialism or Empiricism or Rationalism. Something many secularists do not seem to understand.

Then again, this appeal to wisdom must be tempered by 1 Corinthians 1:17-31, which shows the need to explain the Gospel is foolishness to those who will only commit to a wise course of action, using the wisdom of this world. We live by faith, which is the evidence of what we do not see and confidence in our hope. A concept completely foreign to secular humanism.

To be honest, the biggest problem I have with secular humanism is not its overemphasis of scientific knowledge, but its extreme hatred of the very idea of suffering in this world. I say that because I know that many times it takes suffering to do the right thing over the wrong thing. That has been like the number one lesson of the last two years since I became a born-again Christian.

As an example from the bible, the wisdom of the world, including of secular humanism, would call the example of apostle Paul a tragedy beyond all words. For he suffered so much for no good reason to them, as have all the Christian martyrs. By thinking we are pleasure machines to keep happy, we have robbed the Gospel of an important message: That we follow Christ, becoming like him in his sufferings (Philippians 3:10).

Righteousness is hard and so is generosity to the needy, two things I am sure people will compromise on if it requires them to be less than fully happy. However, we have the Spirit and life and fruit by that Spirit that allows us to live in righteousness and generosity in a way foreign to unbelievers. That has at least been my own experience of the last two years.

20. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly! There is no difference between scientism and science in the minds of atheists, or of those who “practice” scientism. You cannot separate it in their minds, only in your own. That is the whole point. They don’t call it scientism. They call both “science” as it works in their favor. They do not want people to separate the two at all. If they can achieve this, they become the high priests of society. Such “empiricists” have no clothes, but exposing this to them is not so easy. However, for those who prefer truth there is hope, great hope.

As for suffering, I do not think that is extremely popular among American Christians either. I believe in reference to your verse Paul said it was for those “as be perfect.” An ASV footnote says “full-grown;” the NIV translates it “mature.”

And don’t be too ready to take at face value whatever else unbelieving “idealists” teach either. There are plenty who would gladly help you suffer as surely as they helped crucify the Christ. Like you when you were an atheist, not all who have heard them are really like them. Some have merely fallen under their spell for a time. God will use those believers willing to suffer to reach them. What a privilege!