1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christians and ghosts

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Jul 26, 2007.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

What should be the Christian's attitude toward the exaltation of the dead through using images of "ghosts."

There is no scriptural indication about ghosts, except possibly the appearance of Samuel to Saul. How then should we deal with ghosts, which are depictions of dead souls which have not "passed over" for some reason. Hollywood has made millions out of their depiction of this unbiblical concept.

Should Christians promote the portrayal of ghosts? If believed it gives people the dangerous idea that when they die, they need not fear judgement immediately because they have a chance to be a ghost first and then sort things out.

2. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Did you pose this question because I was joking around about Casper? ;) I sure hope nobody took me seriously. Casper is a cartoon character, just like Daggett Beaver. Hint #1: Neither one is real. Hint #2: My use of a cartoon beaver is not an endorsement for any unGodly behavior with respect to beavers (although what that could be is beyond me).

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

That got me thinking, I will admit that was part of my motivation. I also hope folks see the inconsistency that we are all guilty of at times in our belief and practice.

But, how far do we take the prohibition on fantasy? It seems, if I remember, that Casper had a sweet little witch friend in the cartoons. In the Casper movie the girl fell in love with a dead guy, Casper, and even made out with him once he changed form to a more human one. Should we promote this kind of false Hollywood teaching on spiritual matters?

4. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

The apostles obviously believed in ghosts.

Ghosts are mentioned twice in the NT:

Mark 6:49: But when they saw him walking upon the sea, they supposed it had been a spirit, and cried out:

Matthew 14:26: And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear.

I have twice seen something that could be described as a ghost, once with two other witnesses.

However, your question begs the answer to, "What is a ghost?"

As you seem to imply, I don't think they are people who "haven't passed over", but I think they present themselves in such a way, based on the evidence we have at hand.

Although it can be argued that presenting them in such a way can be dangerous, I think it is far more dangerous to present them as benign.

Just as, when I was preaching on the doctrines of demons, one thing that I pointed out was that although demons are often portrayed as evil beings, they are often presented as benign, or even as a cartoon or a plush toy.

How far does this go to giving the impression that they really are benign?

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Well, if I remember, wasn't Casper called the "Friendly ghost"? Are ghosts friendly? If anything they would appear to be visible manifestations of demons.

The question about benign ghosts is excellent. Benign makes them acceptable and could teach children to accept them in a positive light. Are Hollywood films that portray benign ghosts acceptable to Christians? How should we view them?

6. Allan

Allan Active Member

Personally, I don't and teach the same.

A ghost, no matter cute they may appear (angel of light) are in truth northing but demonic apparitions. Ghosts ARE spirits but contrary to many believers personal opinion today - they are not human spirits who have some task or matter left undone or are here to watch over and safe guard friends and family.

We should view them according to truth of Gods word. They are not people who have departed and as such leaves only two options; angels or demons.

#6 Allan, Jul 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2007
  7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Please note folks that I said this is how they are depicted. I do have a little Bible knowledge, just enough to know that those who die are not left here for some kind of task :)

#7 NaasPreacher (C4K), Jul 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2007
  8. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Ironically, I was agreeing with your sentiment, and spoke just inarticulately enough to make it sound as if I were agreeing with something else, which is something you did not say.

Just to clarify, since that sentence even confused me: You say that this is how it's depicted and not how they are. I agree with that. I attempted to say that I understood and agreed with you in my previous post. I apparently failed.

I worked 18 hours today, including coaching football, and when I first posted it, my brain thought it was correct...

9. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

The only ghost I believe in is the Holy Ghost...

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I guess the question is should we promote belief in ghosts by using their imagery, watching moving about them, or reading stories about them?

11. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

No, I don't believe we should.

12. Servent

Servent Member

At one time we lived in an old farm house in Virginia all most every night we would here a door shut a footsteps going up the stairs, my kids say they saw him a few times, when my sister-in-law came to visit without anyone saying anything to her she refused to sleep upstairs, she said someone was watching her.
    BOO, true story

13. Cutter

Cutter New Member

If anyone here can honestly say they are offended by the depiction of Casper as my avatar I will remove it.

14. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

What prohibition on fantasy? :confused:

Obviously I missed something in some conversation somewhere. Would someone point me to it please?

15. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I always liked watching the Topper movies, and as a kid one of my favorite books was "Gus was a Friendly Ghost." I never had an interest in the occult or anything, just enjoyed the idea of a "ghost" getting back at her murderers. It was just fantasy for me.

As far as the more recent books and movies about ghosts, I think they are demonic and should be avoided by Christians.

16. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When we first moved into our 100-year old parsonage, I was alone and continually heard footsteps going up the stairs. At first it worried me, but after a while I figured out it was because we live near a bridge and whenever a heavy truck would come across the bridge, the vibrations made the house shake a little and it sounded like someone was on the stairs.

17. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

posted in the wrong thread

18. Servent

Servent Member

No bridge,we were in the middle of no were

19. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I don't think anyone os offended. You have all the liberty in the world to do so.

The question is whether or not it is wise to use and promote such an unbiblical concept of death and its results.

Is a little bit of occult acceptable? If so where does one draw the line?

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Playing devil's advocate...why couldn't an angel be considered a ghost?