1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Christians and the Law

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Mikey, Jul 28, 2018.

?

OT Moral Law still binding on Christians?

Poll closed Aug 25, 2018.
  1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, you don't want people to understand what the word "binding" means. That is strange to me.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, as the Moral law reflects to us the absolute moral stance of God, but how it applies towards us inow under the NC is the issue. We are obligated to be a holy people, but now thru Cross of Christ and the empowering from/by Holy Spirit is how, not thru keeping animal sacrifices and festival and feasts!

3. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    well the section quoted was specifically arguing against his point that God himself wrote the Decalogue, with me saying it's all from God.

I believe the whole law can be used to show the character of God. that the Holy Spirit indwells in every believer and guides them in what is right and wrong.

The issue is indeed how the law relates to Christians.

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It realtes as in showing us what walking in the Holy Spirit will be producing i us behavior wise...

5. John D. Wright

Faith:
    Baptist
    Judicially, we are covered by the blood and the penalty of sin is no longer our concern.

Given though we are believers filled with the Spirit, if we find ourselves guided by that Spirit we will almost always follow the moral law of God. The control of the Spirit though is paramount and there could be particular instances where we would not.

Here is an example...
    It's WW2 France, the gestapo shows up at your house looking for a Jew that you are hiding in your basement. They ask "Have you seen this Jew?". I have no problem lying and saying "No." even though I have violated one of the ten commands and I have also failed to adhere to the ruling nation that I live within. I believe in that instance the Holy Spirit would be guiding me and I'd lie.

The key here is that with any written set of rules, human nature will be to find out ways to get as close to breaking those rules as possible without going over the line. The Pharisees were masters of this sort of thing. With the Holy Spirit within us, we do not have that recourse. We cannot violate the spirit of the rule because the Spirit within us will convict us about that choice. The Holy Spirit within us is our having a conduit to the perfect law of God which the second it got written down was abused by mankind. Doesn't make that written law bad.

I would say that if you are truly following the will of the Holy Spirit that no law is binding on you. The Spirit that created that law though is fully binding you to His will.

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Law shows to us what the moral obligations are to God, but we must depend and rely upon the Holy Spirit in us to live as we ought, for in and by ourselves is the will of the new nature to obey God, but we have no power to do that in ourselves!