1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Christocentric Theology (New Covenant Theology): The Big Nothing Burger

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by AustinC, May 5, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So in your opinion there is no true difference between NCT and Covenants Theology insofar as the Law goes.

I suppose I agree with that. The end result is the same. The differences are whether or not the Old Covenant Law can be divided into categories (NCT says "no"), the people to whom the Mosaic Law as an expression of God's moral law was given, and where we look to find the commands.

But yes, ... While the focus may be different, Covenant Theology, Dispensationalism, and New Covenant Theology does affirm the same idea about God's moral law.

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course not. You are being silly. I had hoped you responded looking for an honest discussion. That would be greed, BTW....desiring money over the well-being of another.

That is not the Law of Christ at all (that would be a mind set on the flesh and not on the Spirit). That would still be a form of hate, but it would also not be doing to the other as we would to Christ.

In NCT what you do to the least of men you do unto Christ.

NCT does concentrate, perhaps many would say to much, on Christ in us and the regeneration of man.

To answer your question in another way - if we are obeying the Law of Christ then exactly which commandments do you believe we would violate?

Put another way - what parts of God's moral law do you believe Christ violated? Was His obedience due to restraining His actions or was His obedience due to His very nature.

Would Jesus have hired an assassin to kill had He not read the Ten Commandments?

No, of course not.

Sins are manifestations of our sinfulness. The Mosaic Law addresses sinful actions. The Law of Christ addresses our sinfulness.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What position did the Anglican Church take in all this? As I understand it, the Crown was apposed to CT to the the point of execution… in Scotland specifically.Of course, they were probably always trying to push agrarians off the land… Stalin did that also, curse his soul in hell.

#63 Earth Wind and Fire, May 8, 2023
    Last edited: May 8, 2023
  4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK so I’m not a Calvinist, a Reformed, a Presbyterian, Dispensational, Modern Southern Baptist, a CT or a NCT, not a Roman Catholic, not political yada yada. I'm a practitioner of Old School Baptist standards & practices ( though I’m not Baptized by them yet/ no churches in New Jersey ) So what position does NCT propose to offer the likes of me and/or of my ilk? Frankly, we are on our own scriptural trajectory.

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The purpose is to emphasize taking a Christ-centered approach to viewing the whole of Scripture.

The purpose for you, I suppose, would be suggesting that you view the New Covenant as the "better covenant" and discourage viewing Scripture through a framework that is not there. Simply put, read your Bible. Ignore Christian philosophy. (Probably what you are doing already).

6. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Jon. I've always thought that the Law was a schoolmaster to bring us to Christ, as the Bible specifically says. But in that function it is also reflecting the true will of God for the conduct of humans, and that I don't believe changes. I certainly think the idea that since we are blessed with actual teachings of Jesus we should definitely follow His stricter application of the Law. I don't think, even as a Christian with the Holy Spirit indwelling you, that you ever rise above the need for the explicit Biblical teachings contained in scripture. Without those teachings you end up with what any Biblical counselor could tell you they face nowadays - the man who says he's a Christian but out of love for all concerned, doesn't see why he shouldn't leave an unhappy marriage and move in with someone he truly loves, to the benefit of all parties. Such is the capability of our human minds.

I'm not in any way suggesting that you or NCT teaches that, but I'm just giving the reason for the belief that the Law should still be used as a rule of life even though that sounds archaic. And, if it helps, the old reformed writers who did believe the Law was a rule of life indeed believed that the stricter interpretation of it, with Jesus as the teacher, was the right way to do this. No one has ever called for such a strict self-examination of our motives and inner thoughts than the Puritans. Sometimes they cause you a lot of pain if you read them seriously - maybe too much even. I do not think, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that there is any Christian denomination that teaches that the bare performance of the 10 commandments, just as written, is sufficient for Christian conduct. There is such a belief among the general population of cultural Christianity and we have all seen it - when someone says "I never killed anyone or stole anything so I should be OK".

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks. I understand. And I have seen people completely dismiss the Mosaic Law.

What those folks miss is that ANY moral commandment given by God reflects God's moral law because it is based on God's own nature.

The point I am making is that the Mosaic Law is established in the Law of Christ. Where the Old Covenant Law looks to actions the Law of Christ looks to the heart - to whether our mind is set on or against Christ.

The biggest difference cones in when examining and the Old Testament Law.

I say we should obey God's moral law because the Law of Christ commands us to walk in the Spirit.

Covenant Theology says we should obey God's moral law because God commanded Israel to obey the Law under the Old Covenant.

That part is minor in that we all come to the same conclusion insofar as obeying God. It is major in how each handles Scripture.

In the end we are children of God obeying the same moral law. We just think of the reasons differently. And that, IMHO, is one way we can learn from one another.

8. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nah, not really, he just likes to use ten thousand words to say what could be done in five, like his mentor, Owen.

Good! God's civil law for today?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't say that. I will post again on the subject as I have time.

10. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I was in second grade, we had our reading groups where we would sit in a circle and learn to read. One day we're going around the circle and each person is reading a sentence. "See father run". The next kid "See mother run". "See Dick run". "See Jane run". "See Sally run". "See Spot run". And so on to each one in the group. I'm staring out the window, dying, when after all this this kid goes "See Puff??? See Puff ??? See Puff?? "RUN" I bellowed out. "You don't even need a book, you idiot!" Of course I got in big trouble for that. Look. If I apologize for that would you leave me alone unless you have something to contribute to something I post. Honestly, I had forgotten all about you.

11. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    #71 kyredneck, May 8, 2023
    Last edited: May 8, 2023
  12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry if I misunderstood you

Covenant Theology and NCT hold the exact same law in terms of God's moral law. They both view violating the moral commandments of the Old Covenant as sin.

The difference is that NCT views the sin as being against the Law of Christ rather than against the Mosaic Law.

When you have time, please explain exactly what laws you feel NCT adherents would violate by focusing on the Law of Christ.

I think it would help if we could get down to where the rubber meets the road rather than beating around the bush.

To help - NCT holds it is a sin to murder, to steal, to commit adultery, to covet, to lie, etc. because it is opposed to the Law of Christ. The difference is NCT looks to the spiritual state of which our actions are manifestations.

In other words, NCT holds the Law of Christ as establishing the Law of Moses because it is in the heart (the spirit) where sinful actions begin.

13. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then again?... I couldn't just break it up, then it would lose its flavor... Brother Glen:)

Romans 7: 9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.

11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.

12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.

13 Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.

14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.

16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.

17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.

20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.

22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

14. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent point!

• Like Like x 1
  15. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ROFL, approximately 140 words just to say that to lil' ol' me.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ahh yep:Thumbsup. Out of curiosity, how do you know just who supports NCT… duh, I suppose I could always ask :Biggrin

17. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    FYI, there's nothing more concise, brief, and straight to the point than the scripture you use.

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    see I have several Baptistic Reformed churches by me but no PB church. I’m going to one right now but they seem very lax and I hate that… another one my brother goes to is trying to indoctrinate him into their Calvinist web. The rest of the dross out there … we’ll, Kum by ya gathering clubs and getting worse. Welcome to the North East.

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are several theologians (and NCT theologies). If you could go back to 50 years, you could assume smaller Baptist churches hold some type of NCT.

There was a time when seminary training was not trusted among Baptists because of things like Covenant Theology and even Dispensationalism. The idea was a Christian goes to seminary and comes out an atheist (an exaggeration, but many of the ideas created in the academic area did not quite match what people read in Scripture).

If you could go back 50 years we could also go to a Grateful Dead concert. So there's that, too.

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you count?!? :Laugh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.