1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christ's Return: Spiritual or Physical?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by asterisktom, Jan 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Tom. I haven't figured out how to add selected quotes instead of attaching an entire previous message, so I do apologize for that. You do present an interesting case - not only with me, but also with the Biblicist and others. I don't believe the Hebrews passage necessarily means that we will not have a physical body. Romans 8:23 speaks of the redemption of our bodies, not from our bodies. Philippians 3:21 is about the transformation of our humble bodies. Having said that, I will confess that I'm not entirely sure one way or the other. I see strong arguments for both positions.

2. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Ok, then the only reason I can see for insisting that he is not coming back just as they saw him leave must be found in your eschatology and not this text, because there is absolutely nothing in this text to suggest even remotely that he did not leave this earth in a physical human body and that is precisely how he is returning in a visible return.

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your have some good points here - to an extent. Jesus, in a very real sense, does extend back before the Incarnation. He is the "Lamb slain before the foundation of the world".

But I believe the tendency - in these groups, especially - is to delve deeper than we are able to know. There is much about God's Word I do not understand, and this after decades studying, learning and unlearning and relearning. But there are certain things I do understand and am totally convinced of. And one of those is that the "days of [Christ's] flesh" are long gone. No one has been able to Scripturally prove otherwise to me.

I do appreciate your taking the time to write all of what you wrote.

4. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello, Lodic. I'm going to take a break on this bang on my guitar and enjoy some sunshine. I will pick this up later.

For selective quotes just highlight the part you want to answer and click on the "reply".

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Your welcome. May I suggest that the days of our flesh will be gone when we received a glorified body as our resurrected body will not be as it was. Prior to the glorification of Christ's body it was subject to death, hunger, pain, etc. - but no more.

6. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Both full and partial preterism are false. The prophesied events simply haven't yet happened & there's simply NO avoiding that FACT.

As I said, Jesus will PHYSICALLY return to earth, seen by all, as He said. And again, He comes SPIRITUALLY whenever/wherever two or three are gathered in His name, as He said in Matt. 18:20.

Now, what type of body He will have at His return, I don't know, except that He will be in His full power & glory. Remember, at His first coming, He lived as a "lamb", but He shall return as a "LION".

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Lodic. The verses you quoted actually refer to the singular, "body". I believe this is a corporate term, the same as in Eph. 4:4. But, yes, individually we will be transformed. For us that will happen after we die. For the saints at the time of the Parousia, AD 70, it was instantaneous.

BTW there is a division among Preterists on this topic of resurrection. One group (Don Preston is the most well-known advocate of this view), lays great stress on this corporate view, making most or all the resurrection passages be about corporate and/or positional change. The other is the individual body view (Ed Stevens has written much on this) which says that when Christ came in AD 70 it meant instant individual resurrections and transformations of saints, dead and living, respectively, 1Cor 15:51-54. This is the view that I think is more correct.

8. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't know about the different views you mentioned. I also think that the view Ed Stevens promotes is the correct one.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello, Brother. I agree with you the physical Second Advent is in our future, and the Scripture doesn't make it clear about the type of body He will have, except in power and glory. I also believe Christ "came" in judgment upon Jerusalem in AD 70. We could go on all day about the merits of preterism and neither of us would convince the other. You do not believe what we Preterists present to be factual, and I do not believe the "futurist" view to be valid (except that we agree in the Lord's return).

10. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I noticed that I was not quite clear on stating that second view. I should add that these resurrections and transformations happened to both dead and living at that time. All Christians from that time onward have their transformation after they die.

#90 asterisktom, Jan 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That makes sense. Thank you.

12. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We MUST though hold to the physical bodily resurrection, not just a "spiritual" one!

13. Lodic

Lodic Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Help me understand this. When people die now, their souls go to Heaven. Does everyone get a new physical body when Jesus comes again?

14. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please provide a verse for this "physical bodily resurrection" for us. Thank you.

15. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since I am a partial preterist (the events described in the Olivet discourse occured at the fall of Jerusalem in 70 AD), I don't know why you have spasmodically leaped to the false conclusion that I am not because I disagree with you on a fundamental issue of Christ's incarnation.

Can't deal with it?

16. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Luke 24:39-43
    See My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself; touch Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have.” And when He had said this, He showed them His hands and His feet. While they still could not believe it because of their joy and amazement, He said to them, “Have you anything here to eat?” They gave Him a piece of a broiled fish; and He took it and ate it before them.

John 20:27-28
    Then He said to Thomas, “Reach here with your finger, and see My hands; and reach here your hand and put it into My side; and do not be unbelieving, but believing.” Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!

Beyond those plain verses, each gospel testifies to an empty tomb and the enemies of Christ cannot produce the body of Jesus.

But you already claim to believe in the physical resurrection. Has your faith suddenly left you? If not, what's the point of demanding "a verse"?

#96 Baptist Believer, Jan 23, 2019
  17. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We don't actually see that terminology in scripture. It is certainly possible, but Jesus describes the intermediate state as a "dwelling place" (John 14:2) that is in the presence of Jesus. To the repentant thief on the cross, He describes it as Paradise (Luke 23:43). Paul describes his experience of temporarily entering into Paradise (2 Corinthians 12:4), and the Tree of Life is described in the "Paradise of God" in Revelation 2:7, before the Tree of Life becomes available to all persons (Revelation 22:3) who remain when the heavens and earth are united at the end of the age.

At some point, the dead will be raised and all humankind will be rejoined with their bodies. Some will be destroyed in the lake of fire (Revelation 20:12-15; 21:8) and the righteous will reign with Christ forever (Revelation 22:5)

• Like Like x 1
  18. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those are ALL outstanding verses but would someone please explain this one?... Brother Glen:)

Colossians 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

2:9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

19. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a tall order! What aspect especially are we looking at?

BTW the "rudiments" of Col. 2:8 are the very "elements" that dissolve in 2 Pet. 3:10.

EDIT:
    Oops. Because I had BB on ignore I didn't see the quote in your post. So I didn't know to whom you were addressing the comment.

#99 asterisktom, Jan 23, 2019
  20. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BB, I had you on "ignore" because you are rude ("Has my faith left me" indeed) and because you do not read my posts carefully enough. I know this is so since you apparently did not see that I made a distinction between the resurrection of Christ and the resurrection of believers.

Whether you agree with me or not is not the issue. A person discussing with someone else ought to be able and/or willing to remember that other person's view.

This is why you are on my ignore list - the only one on it. I really don't like doing it. But I hate having to waste time in correcting people who (I think) are just reading my posts for ammo, not content.

For the record, (in this thread) I was asked by Biblicist:

"You do believe what was resurrected from the grave was a material body of flesh and bones, correct?"

And I answered:

"Most definitely. Otherwise our faith is in vain."

I see you have quite a few posts on this board, so you know better than to comment on a comment without having read the antecedents.

#100 asterisktom, Jan 23, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.