1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church Discipline

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Fawn, Dec 20, 2008.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

Amy, you don't seem to get the whole biblical consept of church discipline. The church is responsible to God for discipline, like it or not. Discipline can still go forward even if the person refuses to cooperate or repent, ultimately according to scripture already posted here they would be disfellowshipped, meaning according to scripture, no one from church would have anything to do with them untill they repent.

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I do understand church discipline, but the problem is that once the person has already left the assembly, how does the church discipline them? How do you disfellowship with someone who has already disfellowshipped themselves from the church? Does the church just make some formal decree or something? Once the person has left, I don't see anything the church can do in terms of discipline. They can only go to them and reach out in hopes of restoring them or keep them in prayer. Is that what you're calling discipline?

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

1. shes still a member
    2. I've already explained the how
    3. church responsibility means they do it, like it or not

from the church, yes, but what about people from there. Discipline on the churches part must take place if they are to be a biblically obedient church.
    1. I've already answered the how and why, as have others.
    2. They've already attempted to reach out, she was unwilling to obey God prefering her own way instead.

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I'm sorry to be a pain, but could you repeat it? How is someone disciplined who is not in the church anymore?

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    She may have left but the church still needs to make it clear she is disfellowshipped and the church needs to know that unrepentant sin will not be accepted and that the church is not to fellowship with her anywhere as we are commanded by scripture.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Ok. That makes sense to me. Thanks. :)

7. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

Our church by-laws contain the following statement with regards to resigning church membership: . "If during the process of church discipline the sinning member requests his/her membership be terminated or transferred, the request will be denied."

8. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

In your example, the one who left has, in effect, disfellowshipped the church from himself. Or, to put it another way, withdrawn fellowship. Or, to put it another way, kicked the church out of his life. The church ought to at least formally confirm that reality. Don't perpetuate a sham by leaving him on the roll.

Obviously, the congregation should go through the biblical process by attempting reconciliation. If that fails, the next steps are obvious.

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

Prehaps you shold just go back and read it, if you refused the first time you aren't going to read it if I post it a second time.

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

As I said, the church has the responsibiblty to God to discipline, even if the member will not cooperate. They can not appear to approve sin in the church.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

Very good, every by laws should say something like that. Otherwise people who ignored scriptured and prefered not to obey God would just run and never be disciplined by their church, never be encouraged to repent and restore their relationshp with God.

12. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The matter has not yet been "taken to the church".

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Donna, you can be so rude sometimes. I did not "refuse" to read it, but rather than having to go back and read 75 or 80 posts, I thought you might be so kind as to repeat it. I would have gladly done the same for you. I thank Rev. Mitchell for kindly answering my question without the attitude that you have.
    Sorry that I bothered you.

Having said that, I will bow out of this thread as to not derail it with petty arguments.

14. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

I agree that the sin of adultery/fornication is a public sin that brings shame to the church. The structure of the church's membership requirements would determine if she is still a member. If she was a member of my church and requested to be removed from the church roll, her request would be honored immediately. If we knew her motive was to avoid discipline, I suppose we could delay her request and go ahead and discipline her. At that point, I would question our motive. Is our real motive to bring her back into fellowship with God and the church, or is it to "get back" at her for her indiscretion?

Can someone tell me what sins you would consider "bring shame to the church?"

The truth is, we put up with certain "pet sins" that that are socially acceptable, even though they have the potential to bring shame to the church, or are already hurting the church.

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Someone has mentioned gossip. This is so prevalent in churches and ignored as well. Gossip is a poison that creates division. It should never be accepted on any level and dealt with in the same way as adultery. As should any sin that is unrepentant and has such large consequences.

16. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Then you'd better go and investigate or will you like to remain accountable for those rash words said in haste?

17. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is there any scripture on excommunication? I was not aware that the "ASSEMBLY" could deliver anyone to Satan. I was not aware that God had relinquished this power to any man or men.

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Read your Bible:

1Co 5:1 It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that is not tolerated even among pagans, for a man has his father's wife.
    1Co 5:2 And you are arrogant! Ought you not rather to mourn? Let him who has done this be removed from among you.
    1Co 5:3 For though absent in body, I am present in spirit; and as if present, I have already pronounced judgment on the one who did such a thing.
    1Co 5:4 When you are assembled in the name of the Lord Jesus and my spirit is present, with the power of our Lord Jesus,
    1Co 5:5 you are to deliver this man to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord.
    1Co 5:6 Your boasting is not good. Do you not know that a little leaven leavens the whole lump?
    1Co 5:7 Cleanse out the old leaven that you may be a new lump, as you really are unleavened. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed.
    1Co 5:8 Let us therefore celebrate the festival, not with the old leaven, the leaven of malice and evil, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.
    1Co 5:9 I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people--
    1Co 5:10 not at all meaning the sexually immoral of this world, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world.
    1Co 5:11 But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler--not even to eat with such a one.
    1Co 5:12 For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge?
    1Co 5:13 God judges those outside. "Purge the evil person from among you."

19. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What Bible is that?

I have decided to deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of his flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus. [NASB]

....But those who are outside, God judges.

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You have posted nothing that contradicts anything I have said. Of course I see you skipped vs. 2&13