1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church Discipline

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Fawn, Dec 20, 2008.

1. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Of course!! Thank you!

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Which one do you like?

1Co 5:12 .................. do not ye judge them that are within?
    1Co 5:13 ....................Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I got lost, wasn't the question if the person had removed themselves or stopped coming. Do we then chase them down and drag them back to the Church so we can put them out or do we credit the Holy Spirit for purging that which was not of God so it wouldn't leaven the lump?

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We try wot bring them to repentance. That does not include dragging them back to the church. They do not get to come back until repentance is had.

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I guess I misunderstood, you guys are saying even if they leave the Church you still explain to the congregation what they've done so they will know why they shouldn't fellowship with them going forward. To include unwillingness to repent. Is that what you guys are saying?

6. Beth

Beth New Member

this was good

I thought this letter was very appropriate.

I wouldn't be so concerned about whether or not this woman left this fellowship...the point I believe is faith...faith in God's Word. God states that these are the Biblical steps for repentance and reconciliation for the sinner...to stop midprocess would be tantamount to not believing God. Let God have His way in this matter, let the elders follow His instructions and trust that this woman will come to repentance!

Beth

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

According to scripture yes. But that is not the end of it. This should be seen much like when one of our troops are lost in combat and we have no knowledge of their whereabouts. And we should be waiting for their safe return. Much prayer and fasting should be given to this.

#107 Revmitchell, Dec 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2008
  8. donnA

donnA Active Member

Why do some have trouble just believing scripture. If the bible teaches church discipline then it is something God expects we are to do. Skipping it is giving approval to sin, with no consequences, and misrepresenting the word of God.

9. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?:thumbs:

10. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Excellent post

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You need a dose of common sense.

12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Very good post which I agree 100%. I apologize for misunderstanding but it sounded as if some were saying to bring the woman back to the Church even if against her will for the purpose of public humiliation and putting closure on Church procedure. There is still a Spirit by which we are commended to employ Church discipline.

However and not on the subject of Church Discipline, but we can have members who are lost yet sitting in the pew every Sunday. So that prayer and fasting should be universal to all members of the flock lest we loose one (church not Church) we didn't realize was in jeopardy of being lost.

Gal 6:1 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.
    2 Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.

13. Salamander

Salamander New Member

No thanks, what you deem as common sense we rejected a long time ago as liberalism.

We'll keep standing on the word of Giod while men of corrupt minds attempt to deny it.

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Do yourself a favor and do not call anyone liberal. I have seen your past posts on politics, God's sovereignty, and many other subjects.

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The church should have a public meeting about the floozy's conduct and excommunicate her.

Their mistake was in writing a letter and setting a date. But it was a small mistake. Essentially the church is doing everything right.

16. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Calling the woman a "floozy" reveals your heart on the matter. Loving rebuke, eh?

17. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Of course, it fits in very well with the Pharisees. Maybe my memory is getting bad, but I do not recall Jesus calling such a name in the example of the woman caught in adultery. It seems He forgave and told her to go and sin no more. Maybe the translation I use left out floozy go and sin no more.

18. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Her conduct in going to the press, justifying her immorality and lying about only being concerned for her children earns her the esteemed title of floozy. [It's an euphemism for the wh-word.]

19. donnA

donnA Active Member

I don't recall the word floozy in the bible, so I guess it sin't a word the pharisees used.
    The woman caught in adultry made no excuses she knew she was guilty, this woman bragged about it, made it public to try and jusfity her sinful lifestyle, used her children, when at their ages, 18 and 20, they already know whats going on.
    Some here are still trying to say the Church should not follow scripture and do what God has instructed us to do.
    Unbeleiveable for christians.

20. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Care to illustrate?