1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Church Rejects Donation from Lottery Winner

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Ps104_33, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe New Member

What I bolded above, it appears God views it similarly.

Prov 22:16 He that oppresseth the poor to increase his riches, and he that giveth to the rich, shall surely come to want.

Imho, we financially oppress the poor by knowingly receiving their financial contributions, thus playing the lottery is wrong.

On the other hand, if the exact funds from the lottery winnings are not used in the donation to the church, would that be sin for a church to accept the $$? I mean we all combine our funds in our bank account, I hardly ever earmark funds in a separate account. Maybe this is just symantics, and has no bearing upon the principal of a church accepting the donation.

An example:

Chuck buys a lottery ticket, wins $75 thousand dollars.
    He owns a home already, and a little land in a nearby town.

Instead of donating the 35 thousand (which is probably how much he netted after taxes), he deposits the money in his bank account. Uses it to live off of

He sells his land and donates THOSE funds netted from THAT transaction to the church. But......... it's likely he would not have donated those funds if he didn't win the lottery

As long as the exact dollars from the lottery are not used at all in the donation to the church, is it still sin for the church to accept the money?
    What if the church donated the $35 thousand back to the poor?

#21 Joe, Aug 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2008
  2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

What if I slaughter the neighbors milk cow and give to the church, would that be ok?? She not putting out much milk these days anyway. :thumbs:

BBob,

3. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe you can ask Abraham some day.

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Abraham did that under God's command. The attacks in the OT that were done under His command were part of h\His judgment.

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

from what I've seen it's the poor oppressing themselves when it comes to lottery. No one makes them buy tickets, they do it out of greed.
    knowingly recieivng finiscal contributions from the poor,,, does church count? Wouldn't that also be oppressing the poor? No one tells them to buy a lottery ticket, but churches tell them they should give to the church.

6. billwald

billwald New Member

These days the primary difference between the lottery and the stock market is that stock losses can offset other income.

7. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think church would count unless the leaders are being greedy and asking for money for their own gain.

The Bible does say the laborer is worthy of his hire. Giving to the Lord with joy isn't the same as greedy church leaders pushing for money for their own personal benefit.

I've heard that when God has your wallet, he must have the rest of you, too.

8. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not at all convinced of that. Rather it's more likely if you give a lot of your money to your church-- especially if you live on a small income-- in your mind you are forced to think alot about where your "investment" goes. So giving members often become outspoken about the various situations, get 'picky' about how things are done, and on and on... And in the meantime you also force yourself to think you are 'seeing the blessings' from this. Although I've written about this before... there was an elderly lady, then retired, who attended my church, was there virtually every service and was well-respected. More than once she gave her "testimony" about tithing-- that she worked in the cotton mill for 14 years, and "missed only 4 days being sick in all those years." She didn't say those 4 days were the 4 Mondays after the 4 Sundays she forgot her tithe money; but I wonder if that may have been what she meant. Anyway, you can't pump much money into something without thinking there's a reason, and if it's not obvious, you'll see it somewhere.

Nevertheless, that's still a different category than a recent interview I saw about a couple who gave nearly all their savings to Peter Popoff (!) because the husband needs a "miracle"-- he had some fatal, or maybe mutilating, disease, and he received no miracle. The couple now admit they were nutty for thinking they could buy a miracle. And of course Popoff, and others like him, take in millions from such suckers who can't afford it, to live lavishly, and they have their "out" that those contributors who don't get their miracle just didn't have faith.

#28 Alcott, Aug 15, 2008
  9. Whowillgo

Whowillgo Member
    Site Supporter

I would like to see someone answer Brother Perry's question. Although I do not participate in the lottery and believe it does cause problems for many people I often see Christians buying raffle tickets to support Schools the best scriptures I find are those below and I am not sure a lottery falls in there. Seems to me the instruction is to those in charge of a church. Now having said this, if the Pastor viewed the gift as filthy lucre then he must follow his concious.

1Sa 8:3 And his sons walked not in his ways, but turned aside after lucre, and took bribes, and perverted judgment.
    1Ti 3:3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
    1Ti 3:8 ¶ Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre;
    Tit 1:7 For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre;
    Tit 1:11 Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre's sake.
    1Pe 5:2 Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind; (KJV)

Anyway I would enjoy seeing Brother Perry's question get answered.

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Eph. 5:11, Have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

And the love of money is why folks play the lottery.

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christ said that a child of Abraham will do the works of Abraham, and here you rail against him as if he were some kind of robber.

You neither know the Scriptures nor the power of God, and it's only the rules of the board that spare you from the pronouncement of another of my opinions.

12. moondg

moondg Member
    Site Supporter

Why is it the unfruitful works of darkness. A lot of good comes from the money made. Like the paid education of children.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The love of money is why people have careers too. Is working sin now?

So far there has been plenty of opinion...little Scripture. Fact is, if someone wins the lottery, they are not bad stewards...they won, for cryin out loud! They invested $1 and came away with 6 million! 401k's must be sin, too, since that is easy money. Not to mention large inheritances. I bet that pastor would have had no problem taking 600k if the money came from a 401k, inheritance or other investment. There is NO Scripture condemning gambling. That is fact. Like ANYTHING, it CAN be a sin, but is not sinful in itself.

14. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Wealth gotten by vanity shall be diminished: but he that gathereth by labour shall increase,” Proverbs 13:11.

“A faithful man shall abound with blessings: but he that maketh haste to be rich shall not be innocent,” Proverbs 28 20.

“Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth,” Ephesians 4:28

Gaining money at the loss of someone else is not a biblical principle. It most certainly does not represent Christ.

#34 Revmitchell, Aug 15, 2008
  15. donnA

donnA Active Member

which includes more then lottery or gambling too. It would also include any gain of monies that are not payment for labor, like IRAs and stocks, as said inheritance.

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

Then in fact his statement makes no scense at all then does it.

17. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How is winning a lottery "wealth gotten by vanity " ?

[/quote]

I am sure there are a lot of lottery players out there who work hard and still plays the lottery.

That's easy to quote to others, but we need to admit that not all who name the Name of Christ has the same kind and level of trust and faith that those who are in the ministry have, and I've seen in my time those in the ministry who have succumbed to the temptation of "easy money" themselves in various forms while preaching and shouting from the pulpit against gambling.

Try going into the house of a believer who was previously a thief or a robber or a pickpocket and talking to him about hard work while his wife and kids are trying to make do with a skimpy breakfast or lunch and the baby's got no milk, and rent is way past due the landlord will probably come shrieking at him again in public on his way out to look for work, or try talking to him at night about God's love and provision and how the Scripture says God's children will never go begging for bread, and he tells you how his baby went to bed with warm water and some brown sugar for formula, and his family of five had only one meal that day, while all around him are people who never go to church and who find a child swearing a "cute and funny thing", going around in fancy cars or riding public airconditioned buses, and gorging themselves in food.

Are you going to blame this fellow if one day he breaks and goes sticking somebody up again ? Or maybe tell him that perhaps he has a hidden sin somewhere in his life that needs confessing ?

Or are you going to reprimand him for winning the lottery and call him unfaithful and say maybe he's not really saved ?

True, but at the back of each lottery ticket is a fair statement on your chances of winning, and if you still wish to play then it's your call. By the same token, the State promises to pay you a huge amount if you do win, and they abide with that promise as well. Besides, the State truly DOES NOT represent Christ, and the money you bet is not against the money of the person ahead of you in the line, or behind you. You played against the state.

It's not like poker or blackjack where it's your money and your luck against the other guy's money and luck.

Besides, going back to the OP, most, if not every, lottery winner is advertised. Their faces are shown to the public, because that is the State's way of saying there really was a winner, and it had not fooled anyone.

Having said all these, I think that gambling is a private matter. It's something we can preach about and against, but in the end it's the believer's decision and it's between him and his God.

18. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Why it's an "unfruitful work of darkness" because Aaron says it is. If something doesn't go along with Aaron, he trots out his favorite Scripture to misapply to any situation.

19. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to scripture money gotten by windfall without the labour fo your own hands is vanity.

I am sure there is. But that doesn't address the lottery.

And?

And they would be just as wrong as anyone else.

This is not a lottery issue.

If you want to start another thread for this issue you are welcome. But you are not welcome to just derail this thread.

No such thing as situation ethics.

While this is irrelevent it is also untrue. You play against every person who plays. the person in the line before you and the person in the line behind you as well as every person in every lotto line in the state. States have no money except that which they collect from us.

Irrelevent but wrong.

I do not think anyone accused the gambling system of being dishonest.

And I disagree according to scripture rather than situation ethcs.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This is called business. Any time I buy something, they are gaining my money at my loss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.