1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Church Sign Message Has Low Opinion of Christ and High Opinion of Mankind

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by KenH, Mar 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jon... I won't send you the acapella version but to get the tenor of the song here is a version you will like... I hope... Brother Glen:)

2. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    Intriguing that someone would go to that passage for argument rather than to those where Jesus refers to himself and his ministry as analogous to a physician needing healing.

4. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I note that in none of the three verses you reference does Jesus actually call himself a physician.

5. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, there is evident lack in your posts that defy response, not because it would not* be correct, but because there is nothing there to receive it.

*added second not for better sense

#25 RighteousnessTemperance&, Mar 12, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
  6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks. I like it (I also love acapella).

7. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I note you still have no verse in your reference. You can whine about my posts all you want, but you have no scriptural reference.

8. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your posts have been accurately and rightly cited for deception and disingenuity.

The verses were quoted and highlighted in post #20 and cited in #22, which linked #20 and which your own post cited.

Beyond the above problems regarding your posts are their lack of substance and honest exegesis. At best, they strain at a gnat while swallowing a camel. The lack is wholly with your own posts.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    @AustinC Thank you for posting Luke 4:23 as it illustrates just how much many people hate the Biblical doctrine of election. They don't trust God to accomplish His purposes according to the good pleasure of His will. Just look at how the people responded to Christ's words:

Luke 4:24-30 And he said, Verily I say unto you, No prophet is accepted in his own country. But I tell you of a truth, many widows were in Israel in the days of Elias, when the heaven was shut up three years and six months, when great famine was throughout all the land; but unto none of them was Elias sent, save unto Sarepta, a city of Sidon, unto a woman that was a widow. And many lepers were in Israel in the time of Eliseus the prophet; and none of them was cleansed, saving Naaman the Syrian. And all they in the synagogue, when they heard these things, were filled with wrath, And rose up, and thrust him out of the city, and led him unto the brow of the hill whereon their city was built, that they might cast him down headlong. But he passing through the midst of them went his way.

#29 KenH, Mar 12, 2023
  10. RighteousnessTemperance&

Faith:
    Baptist
    Coram Deo

In his commentary Mark, Dr. R.C. Sproul comments on the irony of today's passage: the scribes "were the sickest of the sick, all the while thinking they had no need of a physician." Spiritual blindness to our own condition must be overcome if we are to be saved from sin. As long as we do not believe we are sinners, we cannot receive the cure, for only those who know they need a cure will receive it. In order to move closer to God, we first have to confess how far away we are from Him.

Jesus, the Great Physician | Reformed Bible Studies & Devotionals at Ligonier.org | Reformed Bible Studies & Devotionals at Ligonier.org

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The sign indicates false, free-will religion. We mere worms are not in a position to "let" God do anything. God is 100% sovereign, 100% of the time. There is no place given for man to "let " God do this or that. It is impious to think such.

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know the church, or their doctrine, I'm just going off the sign in the OP.

How does saying that Jesus is a physician come to heal the sick or a mechanic come to fix people a false free-will religion?

• Like Like x 1
  13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "LET HIM".

Any time a mere creature thinks that he is in a position to "let" his Creator, the All Powerful Potentate of the universe do anything(as though the Creator has to have the permission of His creation before He can do something), then he is in a big giant heap of trouble.

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You mean like the song "let God arise"?

I think you may be reading too much into the sign.

Another way of saying let God fix your life is to say "repent and believe".

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not heard of it until you posted about it. If the song is teaching that God cannot act unless His creature "lets Him", then it is teaching falsely.

I don't.

That is certainly not about "letting God" do something. They are both gifts granted by God.

Philippians 1:29 For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake.

Acts of the Apostles 11:18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

(emphasis mine)

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is a psalm.

Anyway, I get what you are saying.

Do you believe passages telling us to let God lead us are wrong (perhaps added to Scripture at a later date)?

What about passages telling us to trust God in order for Him to guide our ways?

• Like Like x 1
  17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you believe that passages telling us that God does as He wills with His creation are wrong (perhaps added to Scripture at a later date)?

What about passages telling us that God directs man's ways, not man?

#37 KenH, Mar 12, 2023
  18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe those passages are true

The difference, however, is that I do not believe one passage negates another. Scripture s not a smorgasbord where we simply choose which ones to put in our theology. All Scripture is true.

So I believe that man makes his plans but God directs his steps. I believe we must repent and believe while also believing God is sovereign. I believe we must "let God lead us" while I also believe He will accomplish His plan.

For most of history this has not been an issue. But for us post enlightenment guys it really doesn't fit in our philosophy UNLESS we are able to accept that God is infinity greater than man. Then we are compatibilities who can accept that man has a responsibility that does not encroach on God's sovereignty.

The answer is NEVER to accept some Scripture while denying others.

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not clear on what point you are trying to make. Are you saying that God does not always achieve His purposes? That the creature can block the Creator's purposes?

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am saying you are wrong to accept some passages while rejecting others. You argue against people who do the exact same thing because they choose to accept the verses you reject. I am saying that the verses you deny only contradict the ones you accept because you lower your view of God.

I am saying you should accept that we need to "let God guide us" and "trust in Him so that He will guide our paths" while at the same time continuing to accept the passages you argue.

I am not saying that we can block God's plans (I actually posted the opposite).

My point is that Scripture isn't a smorgasbord where we get to choose which verses to believe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.