1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Church Sign Message Has Low Opinion of Christ and High Opinion of Mankind

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by KenH, Mar 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What verse do you think that I am rejecting(for the record, I do not reject any of God's Word). Bear in mind, that the Bible must be taken as a whole, not cherry-picked.

2. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Curious what verse Ken rejects.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh, if I may suggest a slight edit to your statement - "Curious what verse you allege Ken rejects." :Biggrin

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I already posted several.

We are told to "let God guide us". This was given to Christians, but it is allowing God to work in our lives.

We are also told that if we trust God then He will direct our ways.

Look, I agree completely with you in what you affirm. I just believe you are on dangerous ground in what you reject. You seem to think that our trusting God is somehow taking power away from God. I just don't see it that way.

5. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

I cannot see a problem here. What happened to the man at the pool of Bethesda? Why does the sign say he called out to Jesus? Does the sign really intimate that Jesus is just waiting to fix your life. Most Baptists are evangelistic and this intimates that Jesus is not waiting, he is proactive.

I think this guy who is complaining about the sign would care nothing for the pool cripple.

This guy has a low opinion of unsaved mankind and a high opinion of himself as "elect" by applying those verses he quoted to others besides himself.

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    He rejects verses telling us that if we trust God then He will direct us. He rejects verses that tell us to let God guide us.

There are several passages. I am not going to pretend you guys are illiterate fools. I respect you even though we disagree. You have a Bible (if not PM me and I will buy you one). We benefit in studying Scripture.

If those passages (that tell us if we do such and such then God will do such and such) seem foreign to you then start reading Scripture.

It does not mean we control God any more than our disobedience to God is controlling Him. But there is human responsibility in Scripture.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you be specific?

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    One cannot have a low enough opinion of fallen mankind. We are all nothing but a bunch of dirty, filthy, rotten sinners.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    False accusation. "This guy" is a dear friend of mine. I know him personally. He is my pastor. I demand that you retract it.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Allow". You think you have that kind of power, that He needs your permission before He can act?

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can assure you that I am not on "dangerous ground". Why? Because God has assured me.

Jude 1:24-25 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, to the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

(emphasis mine)

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. It does. Many who call themselves "Christians" think that God is hanging over a banister, hoping that someone will please, oh please, let Me save you, let me fix up your life. Many who call themselves "Christians" place man on the throne and God down on His knees begging.

Such people's thoughts are disgusting.

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another false accusation by you. I demand that you retract your statement.

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I accept ALL of the Bible.

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not going to do a search to try to figure out a particular verse(s) that you falsely accuse me of rejecting. If you can't be specific, then retract your statement and leave the conversation.

16. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

We are the object of God's love and his salvation and his sacrifice. He sure has a higher view of mankind than does you and your kind.

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isaiah 64:6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

(emphasis mine)

18. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That does not say God hates us. It says things about us, not God. If we were not in trouble God would not have sacrificed his best possession of heaven, his own Son, to rescue us. Try processing this statement of scripture.

Rom 5:6 For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
    7 For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die.
    8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
    9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
    10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

19. George Antonios

George Antonios Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand the point, and tend to agree, but the sanctimonious nature of the condemnation is worse than the sign.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a good point. If you look at the OP, what the pastor put up regarding that sign, notice the verses he cites. Some folks really like to dwell on the idea that God is going to send a lot of other people to hell. So don't think you are invited to come to Christ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.