1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Churches Like These . . .

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Magnetic Poles, Jan 18, 2008.

1. standingfirminChrist

Whether 12 or 70 or even 3,000 menbers, the Scripture is clear

Acts 6:2-4 Then the twelve called the multitude of the disciples unto them, and said, It is not reason that we should leave the word of God, and serve tables. Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business. But we will give ourselves continually to prayer, and to the ministry of the word.

Pastors should dedicate time to study the Word and prayer that they might effectively preach that Word when they stand behind the pulpit. Deacons should be appointed to serve the tables; i.e., tend to the physical needs of the congregants.

Sure a Church of 12 does not seem like much, but how much more time could a pastor spend studying God's Holy Word if He did not have to stop and drive all over town to visit members?

And with 70+ members, tending to physical needs takes away even more of that valuable time needed for study and prayer.

#21 standingfirminChrist, Jan 19, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  2. rbell

rbell Active Member

Wait a minute, though....

The context of the Acts passage is that you had a very large church--in the thousands. The "deacons" thing didn't come about until the church was larger. Could we surmise that in a much smaller church, it might have been less necessary? I'm just askin'....not necessarily arguing against the need for deacons....

Also...I think it's worth examining: what are the needs that pastors should attend to? There are obviously needs to attend to; hence, the need for deacons. But in some churches, it could be that the "list" of needs is too exhuastive.

Hmmm...that's a good new thread topic.........

3. standingfirminChrist

there may have been thousands in the early church, but still they say they needed to appoint others to serve so they could attend to study and prayer. Seems that would apply to any number.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think that's the issue. She was most likely getting support and the pastor felt it was "gossip" so she was banned. Great way to protect himself. Just kick out anyone who might be a threat to his seat.

5. Larry

Larry Member
    Site Supporter

Remember folks, we will all give an account for every idol word. How can you all be so sure of the facts from one newspaper story? I suspect that some of you are confusing your own personal experience/fantasy and urban legend as fact.

Is it so hard to imagine that some old woman who has run the church into the ground for fifty years finally met her match? I'm not saying that is the case, I am saying that we don't know what the truth is, so don't let yourselves get all worked up because a secular news source baited you.

I think church discipline is a good thing. I know that the world the flesh and the devil don't like it when the church goes by the book. Do any of you have comments based upon what the bible says on this issue?

6. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Burrick sounds like a real control freak...... kicking the old lady out for insisting that they by-laws be followed.

Burrick should be beaten with rubber hoses for doing that to the old lady.

7. standingfirminChrist

I believe disciplinary action should be taken against Burrick, but not as far as being beat with a rubber hose.

He needs to repent of the wrong he did against the woman and appoint deacons as the bylaws demand, or he needs to step down from the pastorate position from that fellowship.

A pastor is supposed to lead the flock by example. If he is unwilling to obey the bylaws set forth in that sanctuary, he is not leading by example and is not worthy of leading that flock.

8. KJVkid

KJVkid New Member

Man oh man oh man oh man!! Everybody jumped in defence of an "old" lady that was removed from the church while one cop held her Bible.....how sweet. We all know how reliable the media is don't we? What about the Pastor, doesn't anybody care to hear his side of the story? We say we believe in church discipline and then turn right around and deny it. Read Mt.18:17 what does that say? I could give you a lot more along the same lines. The problem with our churches today isn't that we apply too much discipline it is that we don't.

9. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

I didn't defend either one. But, the pastor has the right to remove anyone he thinks is bringing division among the flock. I'd like to hear his side.

10. kturner25

kturner25 New Member

How is this situation proclaiming the Gospel to their local community? Is this a good witness to those who don't know the Lord? Would someone come there searching for the truth when they can't peaceably resolve a simple conflict.

There may be some blame on both sides of the argument, but if it turns people away from the Gospel the enemy is the only one rejoicing.

11. standingfirminChrist

Just to let people know, I did call Pastor Burrick. He would not talk with me about the issue. Seems if he were not at fault, he would want to straighten things up or at the least state that it was all just a big misunderstanding.

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

The problem is easy to solve. All it takes it a majority of the congregation to throw this guy out.

13. standingfirminChrist

I agree, saturnneptune. It is obvious he is in the wrong.

14. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

What if the pastor started the church? I wouldn't think they could throw him out if he started and built the church?

15. standingfirminChrist

According to the article, Burrick was appointed as pastor by existing members. He didn't start the church.

16. KJVkid

KJVkid New Member

Standing, in all due respect would you talk to an outsider about an issue in your church? I wouldn't.

17. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

I meant if he had started the church they couldn't throw him out. ;)

18. standingfirminChrist

KJVKid,

If a man of God called me to tell me I was wrong on an issue and showed me Scripture to correct me and instruct me, I would gladly admit it.

I did not call Burrick to tell him he was wrong, but that the story was all over the internet and some (including myself) wonder what the truth of the story was.

As I said, if he were not in the wrong, why not talk about it? Why not straighten up the mess?

Would you want to hear such a story about yourself and not refute it if it were false?

A pastor is supposed to be above reproach. He represents the church to a lost and dying world. Burrick does not seem to care whether he is putting a bad name on the church or not.

19. KJVkid

KJVkid New Member

The revival is part of a broader movement to restore churches to their traditional role as moral enforcers, Christian leaders say. Some say that contemporary churches have grown soft on sinnersfrom the article

I can understand why this wouldn't sit well with a lot on THIS message board. Folks, church discipline is still in the Bible, Mt;18:15-17. Separation from those as well, IIThess 3:6,14 whether we practice it or not.

20. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

First of all, THIS message board makes a lot more Biblical sense than the 90 posts I have read of yours.

Church discipline is corrective, not punitive in nature. One can quote verses all day out of context.